Hockey...real hockey

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I was probably the only kid for hundreds of miles to have posters of Tocchet and Hextall in my room. My grandma had to special order them from Philly. It must've gotten accidentally thrown out, but in junior high I made a wooden napkin holder that replicated angry Tocchet in the penalty box. The stick was a little jagged because trying to cut out the little triangle between the boards, the stick and the window support was rough to do with a band saw. :laugh:

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I was probably the only kid for hundreds of miles to have posters of Tocchet and Hextall in my room. My grandma had to special order them from Philly. It must've gotten accidentally thrown out, but in junior high I made a wooden napkin holder that replicated angry Tocchet in the penalty box. The stick was a little jagged because trying to cut out the little triangle between the boards, the stick and the window support was rough to do with a band saw. :laugh:

Awesome! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Ya he was pissed at getting traded though which pissed me off but I got it though. recchi was a tough bastard to play with skills also.

I still remember where I was when he got traded. Devistating day obviously but Recchi was a good return.

Even though its sacrilege to admit, I cheered for him during the Pens cup runs with Lemieux.. I feel dirty now, time to take a scalding shower LOL

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
yeah, brain damage is awesome. It's so awful how the league has stepped in to try and protect players from living their lives as vegetables after they retire.

They need to bring back no skilled goons because watching players actually play skillful hockey is terrible

Tie Domi looks fine these days :sarcasm:

IMG_0102.JPG

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Love the rough stuff and I still think having the Tom Wilsons/Wayne Simmonds on your team helps your team greatly. But headshots need to stay out of the game and be penalized more harshly. I consider Simmonds a clean gritty player and those are the ones that I want on the Flyers under the right contract.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Richards was such a predator in open ice. Lots of head damage attributed to the play of that former Flyers' captain.

I think the most exciting hitter in the league is Byfuglien. He does some silly things because few players can match his momentum. The hits are clean, too, unlike many of Richards' most notable ones.

Provorov is an excellent hitter, though that big hit on Marchand from last season is going to be illegal in future seasons. Just gotta make sure to avoid the head.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Gudas is a great hitter when he isn't doing dumb shit. Rinaldo was also fun to watch fly around and throw hits but was just very poor everywhere else.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
yeah, brain damage is awesome. It's so awful how the league has stepped in to try and protect players from living their lives as vegetables after they retire.

They need to bring back no skilled goons because watching players actually play skillful hockey is terrible

The thing is....when i think of watching hockey BEFORE helmets, the head shots and blindside shots were minimal compared to the era where every player is loaded up with armor for protection. Sticks in general were kept low when no helmets were in the game. Why? Because everyone RESPECTED the danger. Well...most everyone. Point being if you were a goon or played dirty you got shit beaten out of you and you quickly learned to play properly. Once the armor and helmuts came into the game, the game got progressively rougher and dirtier because of poor/ really bad officiating. Penalties that should have been called were not.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I still remember where I was when he got traded. Devistating day obviously but Recchi was a good return.

Even though its sacrilege to admit, I cheered for him during the Pens cup runs with Lemieux.. I feel dirty now, time to take a scalding shower LOL
HAHAHAHAHA

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The thing is....when i think of watching hockey BEFORE helmets, the head shots and blindside shots were minimal compared to the era where every player is loaded up with armor for protection. Sticks in general were kept low when no helmets were in the game. Why? Because everyone RESPECTED the danger. Well...most everyone. Point being if you were a goon or played dirty you got **** beaten out of you and you quickly learned to play properly. Once the armor and helmuts came into the game, the game got progressively rougher and dirtier. Almost like players took the extra protection as a license to carry sticks high and hit illegally - leading to the 'concussion era over time. The league poorly enforced EXISTING hockey rules. It's over now. A game somewhere between real hockey and ice capades :sarcasm: where tiny players have little fear of being crushed. I blame concussions on equipment and poor/ really bad officiating.
Players disrespect players nowadays

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Because of the protection. they have less to fear with visors, etc
berube told a story when the flyers were up in Col and Foote and others were running Lindros and when Berube went to sakic and told him they were gonna go for him if it didn't stop he went right to the bench and told the players to stop running Lindros and it stopped. Respect.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Players disrespect players nowadays

Like they didn’t in the pre-2006 lockout? The “code” was a bunch of bullshit.

The game is safer & cleaner than it’s ever been. Less goons/scumbags more rules enforced.

You guys just don’t like the entertainment value you’re getting because this stuff has been essentially eradicated. That’s the big issue you’s have not some type of moral issue.

Last edited:

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Like they didn’t in the pre-2006 lockout? The “code” was a bunch of bull****.

The game is safer & cleaner than it’s ever been. Less goons/scumbags more rules enforced.

You guys just don’t like the entertainment value you’re getting because this stuff has been essentially eradicated. That’s the big issue you’s have not some type of moral issue.

The 'code' ended in the very early 70's. Anything after that was post 'code'. So unless you were watching when Howe, Orr , Mahovlich and Ferguson were playing.... you didn't see the code. It was real.

There were (and are) more high sticks since helmets were made mandatory than before anyone wore helmets. Protection changed the game....and allowed goons to take liberties the league never enforced properly from day one.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Like they didn’t in the pre-2006 lockout? The “code” was a bunch of bull****.

Gretzky would have been killed if players wanted to but the respect level is there.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
"that's going to be a major penalty"

I know I shouldn't like this in this day and age, but that's what drew my attention to Hextall as a kid. I didn't know goalies could be so evil! I had just seen Slapshot and wondered "What real team was most like the Charlestown Chiefs?" and by brother said "Watch these guys." :laugh:

Reactions: Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad