Hockey of the past vs today

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Further to modern youth hockey development, 2017 article by Wayne Scanlan discussing developmental issues with Chris Schwartz, Senator's strength coach.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hoc...ch-warns-of-declining-athleticism-among-youth

The lack of athletecism, using both arms eaqually well, running backwards, turning somersaults, touch directly why developmental hockey players have a hard time playing their "off" side.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You think amateur championships from an era where two cities in the entire world even had an organized amateur league and there were zero professional hockey players is comparable to the levels of competition today's players face.

We can agree to disagree on that point. Easily.

No, and evidently nobody else does either. Where are Russell Bowie and Frank McGee, the stars from this amateur era you are speaking of? Not even up for consideration in the top 50 of the current project. As usual, no evidence to be found of the bias you claim exists.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No, and evidently nobody else does either. Where are Russell Bowie and Frank McGee, the stars from this amateur era you are speaking of? Not even up for consideration in the top 50 of the current project. As usual, no evidence to be found of the bias you claim exists.

You are the one who equivocated their claim with those of modern players.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's definitely easier to toss out an ad hominem than actually debate what I'm stating. Lidstrom/Harvey is simply a great example of how this section doesn't factor in how much deeper and broader the talent pool is now in their cross era comparisons. I'm a Red Wings fan and I've never tried to hide that but it also works for Ovechkin/Hull and will work even better the more Ovechkin plays. How a mirror image player that played in a larger league with far more streams of talent is rated below someone who played in what amounted to a domestic league is beyond me. Obviously Hull played in the WHA later but it's his O6 career that really gets counted.

Half of the top 10 are from pre baby-boom Canada as are half of the top 20. From what I recall you give a ton of credit into "trail blazers" so you have the right to your opinion. Abilities and performance are what I'm looking at and being the cream of the crop of a small Canadian talent base is simply not impressive as doing the same for an international talent base that's much larger, all else being equal. These projects simply don't have enough perspective and lack a broad view of what the NHL actually was during certain eras in terms of the talent pool. Peer to peer comparisons stink.

Surprise, surprise, it all comes back to Harvey/Lidstrom. At some point you might just have to accept that your opinion is the minority one. And it's not because the people who hold the majority opinion have some inherent bias, not because they have completely failed to consider differences in league strength/talent pool, and not because of some nostalgia factor. After weighing all available evidence, the majority conclude Harvey was simply a better hockey player than Lidstrom. Full stop. End of story. I disagree with lots of player rankings too. But you know what? My ranking isn't the "answer key". It's only my opinion. When I think that player X is better than player Y, and 90% of people disagree, I conclude that I simply have a minority opinion on the matter. I don't go around saying those 90% have some fundamental bias or have failed to properly evaluate the situation.

Bolded: Calling Ovechkin and Hull "mirror image players" is evidently where the disagreement lies. In the opinion of most people, Hull was better at every facet of the game besides goal scoring, which is the only category where these players are "mirror images". Like Lidstrom and Harvey, all the available evidence has been weighed, and almost everyone has agreed that as of this moment, Bobby Hull was simply a better hockey player than Ovechkin. You're free to disagree, as is everyone.

If such biases existed, they should be evident across the board. But of course, you can only find small little pockets of the list where older players are more prevalent than newer ones. Rather than accept that random variance in any sort of list-making endeavor is going to lead to certain eras being more represented than others in certain spots, you go screaming of bias, and cite the same old tired examples while completely ignoring the broader picture.

The "half the top 20 are from pre-baby boom Canada comment" is telling, and does not help the position you are trying to represent. In order to be appear on the list, a participant would need to be born between approximately 1870 (making them prime aged for the beginning of Stanley Cup hockey) and 1990 (players under 30 years old have understandably not had enough time to finish their careers and be appreciated in a historical sense, generational superstar McDavid notwithstanding). Baby boom is understood to be 1946 onward, which gives us an expectation that 37% of the sample (120 years) should have been born post-WWII if absolutely no consideration was given to era differences. Yet at no single point, be it top-1 to top 49, where we presently sit, is the percentage of post baby-boom birthdays ever as low as 37%. The top 9 (44%) is the lowest representation of post baby-boom birthdays, and almost every single sample thereafter it is 50% or higher. Both figures well above the 37% threshold. Your claims of bias in favour of pre-baby boom players is not supported by basic math.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Biggest difference is goaltending. I've looked at highlight videos of late 80s/early 90s goaltending and it is laughable at best compared to today's goalies. It has come a loooong way in the last 25 years or so.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You are the one who equivocated their claim with those of modern players.

No, I suggested that such claims/equivalencies should exist if indeed some sort of era-based favoritism towards older players was prevalent. As I said in the post directly above, if you can only find one small pocket among the entire sample where Era X has less representation than Era Y, concluding that Era X has been the victim of some systematic bias is simply unfounded.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I remeber that Mario Lemeux said "These day game is much harder because at his era most of players even didnt knew how to properly skate." - maybe it is not similar words at 100% but sense was same

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Biggest difference is goaltending. I've looked at highlight videos of late 80s/early 90s goaltending and it is laughable at best compared to today's goalies. It has come a loooong way in the last 25 years or so.

Put today's goalies in leather pads and they would just as 'laughable'.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Look at game videos for a detailed perspective.

Dominik Hasek had a much better orientation to the puck and to his net. Unorthadox but had the abilities that are referenced in the following:

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hoc...ch-warns-of-declining-athleticism-among-youth

Likewise for older goalies, especially Roger Crozier,Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante.

Modern depth NHL goalies, fringers tend to lose their net and the puck.

Reactions: Merya

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No, I suggested that such claims/equivalencies should exist if indeed some sort of era-based favoritism towards older players was prevalent. As I said in the post directly above, if you can only find one small pocket among the entire sample where Era X has less representation than Era Y, concluding that Era X has been the victim of some systematic bias is simply unfounded.

I never said the participants simply favor older players on a "the older the better" basis. Maybe someone else holds that opinion. If they do, I haven't seen it.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting article there, C1958. I was born in the early 90's and don't quite understand what the fuss is about. I did all of those things and can perform all of that except the somersault (not sure if that is all that necessary). But I see kids these days and they flat out don't play on their own. It is all organized today. You've got a couple of sessions each week with your team or whatever and that's it for the most part.

I'll tell a little story on this that I find enlightening now some years later. I played a TON of soccer with my friends in school and after school. Just we as friends meeting up playing, as kids used to do. Usually on a gravel pitch (today we have a pitch with artificial grass in my neighbourhood and lights on until 10 PM. Never occupied unless the organized teams are there.). When I was 13 I started to play with a real team as one of my PE teachers told me I should start playing with for a team. When I got there, I was amazed at the lack of creativity almost all of them had. I remember one guy had plenty of it but he had started out the same way as me. Some others were decent as well. But most were very inadequate in that area I found. Poor vision, no real ability to dribble past players and so on which soccer on the recreational level is all about. I'm sure a lot of professional teams work on this today but I am not sure that can be entirely coached into someone. You need to get into that environment - 'on the street' so to speak - where it is all about impressing each others. That is fruitful for your imagination.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Somersault, backward, forward, to each side, is critical since it helps a goalie or skater efficiently orient themselves to the net or play coming out of contact.

Okay, that may be a specific thing to ice hockey and American football then? Don't see how that is important to a soccer player. Iniesta and Xavi couldn't perform a somersault if they fought for their lives, so to speak.

I don't plan on trying as I don't want to break my neck and skull. :D

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Okay, that may be a specific thing to ice hockey and American football then? Don't see how that is important to a soccer player. Iniesta and Xavi couldn't perform a somersault if they fought for their lives, so to speak.

I don't plan on trying as I don't want to break my neck and skull. :D

You would be wrong in your baseless assumption about those two Barca legends.

Goaltending today is much more athletic than it was ten years ago, or 20. Look at the pads and shirt late career Roy had. It even looks silly.
This season pads and shirts have again been reduced, resulting in too much rick for the tenders, bcs the changes were made too late. It's getting bit safer again, but months too late. It's a very good change, but it should not be done in expense of goalie health. Give the devs proper time to adjust.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
You would be wrong in your baseless assumption about those two Barca legends.

Goaltending today is much more athletic than it was ten years ago, or 20. Look at the pads and shirt late career Roy had. It even looks silly.
This season pads and shirts have again been reduced, resulting in too much rick for the tenders, bcs the changes were made too late. It's getting bit safer again, but months too late. It's a very good change, but it should not be done in expense of goalie health. Give the devs proper time to adjust.

How is it any more baseless than your claim? I've seen them play hundreds of games. I have a hard time believing they can do a flip over their head. Prove me wrong or you're just as baseless as me.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
How is it any more baseless than your claim? I've seen them play hundreds of games. I have a hard time believing they can do a flip over their head. Prove me wrong or you're just as baseless as me.

What claim would that be?
You otoh claimed Xavi and Iniesta couldn't do somersault for their lives. That's a silly and totally baseless assumption, which shows that you know almost nothing about football nor the players. And no this doesn't go the way that I'll find you videoproof of either. Rather you should make a convincing argument why they wouldn't be capable of such even "if they fought for their lives". I think both were fit and light athletes in their prime and would easily do a somersault with a practise of day or two, IF they couldn't do it as it were.

Now enough fusbol, even if it's my prime passion.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Has it ever grown or fluctuated or is it the one constant the universe has seen? How far are you willing to go with this?

The answer is pretty obvious yet some people simply hang onto a false premise even if it equatable with saying something like the sun rises in the west.

That's the problem with having the answer before the question is asked or even looked at.

Reactions: Troubadour

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Well to be fair McGee only played for 4 seasons and Forsberg who played at an elite level for well over a decade is sliding down somewhat in the top 100 players of all time project because he only played in 702 regular season games.

I imagine that Bowie will be up at some point but maybe not there is a lot of history to cover.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Late 1960s, early 1970s Soviet youth hockey participation numbers in the Golden Puck tournament, 3-4million:

The Soviet Hockey Program

Plus adults playing league hockey.

2017-18 IIHF registration numbers:

Ice hockey players per country worldwide 2017/18 | Statistic

Russia had 110 624 registered players.

Major drop in the global hockey talent pool in the Soviet Union / Russia contribution alone.

Pertaining to the NHL, 1993-94 season saw a total of 64 skaters and 3 goalies from the former Soviet Union.

2018-19, combining the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation shows 35 skaters and 4 goalies playing in the NHL.

Looks like a shrinking talent pool, but one with 365 days of training still produces NHL players in lesser numbers.

Sorry for the delay. Data had to be tracked thru the migration.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Late 1960s, early 1970s Soviet youth hockey participation numbers in the Golden Puck tournament, 3-4million:

The Soviet Hockey Program

Plus adults playing league hockey.

2017-18 IIHF registration numbers:

Ice hockey players per country worldwide 2017/18 | Statistic

Russia had 110 624 registered players.

Major drop in the global hockey talent pool in the Soviet Union / Russia contribution alone.

Pertaining to the NHL, 1993-94 season saw a total of 64 skaters and 3 goalies from the former Soviet Union.

2018-19, combining the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation shows 35 skaters and 4 goalies playing in the NHL.

Looks like a shrinking talent pool, but one with 365 days of training still produces NHL players in lesser numbers.

Sorry for the delay. Data had to be tracked thru the migration.

You only post what supports your desired narrative.

If not nationalism, what other purpose could drive such a deliberately myopic and obfuscatory approach?

https://www.bardown.com/fascinating...ckey-around-the-world-over-the-years-1.894809

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Why islote just one non traditional NHL feeder system?

Its the totality (all the new feeder systems combined) that matter.

Also it's quite telling that when the NHL expanded in the 60's and 70's up to 21 teams (from 6) there were zero players from Soviet Union or what would become later the Russian Federation.

So the Talent pool for the NHL has changed, its right there in your example above.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I never said the participants simply favor older players on a "the older the better" basis. Maybe someone else holds that opinion. If they do, I haven't seen it.

Ok, so you acknowledge that it's only in specific pockets of the overall project that there are examples of older players being more prevalent than younger ones? Would we not expect some random variance in the composition of certain sub-samples within the overall sample?

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Rely on scholarly works. Would love to see a similar thesis for each other European playing nations.

Avoid contributions that neglect to mention that the KHL contracts more Canadians than the NHL contracts Russians/Soviets.

Sidebar. Canada(CAHA) into the fifties had limited movement for amateur players within regions and provinces in an effort to grow the game locally. Eventually this paid off in the growth of the CHL.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Well to be fair McGee only played for 4 seasons and Forsberg who played at an elite level for well over a decade is sliding down somewhat in the top 100 players of all time project because he only played in 702 regular season games.

I imagine that Bowie will be up at some point but maybe not there is a lot of history to cover.

See that's just it....nobody is suggesting McGee should be available alongside Forsberg. Both were low GP, playoff heroes within their era, so they are somewhat similar in that sense. And if he doesn't even come up for voting in the project, it will not be controversial; at least I don't suspect it would be. Probably won't be controversial if Bowie never comes up either. Yet apparently era differences/talent pool considerations are not taken into account? Really it seems more like "my favourite player from the 21st century is behind somebody from the 1950s and it's easier to accuse participants of systematic bias than to accept I have a minority opinion on the matter".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad