Hockey night in "Canada" broadcast

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
I'm pissed off at CBC, SN, and (post game TSN - Craig button) folks over last night's broadcast..
  • Sucking up to the bruins pre game - big bad bruins narrative. Literally no one thought the leafs can pull this one off
  • In game broadcast - Positive comments for Bruins physical play, no calls etc, negative commentary for the smallest of leafs mistakes
  • Ron and Don making fun of leafs players unable to draw penalties
  • Intermission- calling out Nylander as a horrible player, praising DeBrusk as best player ever
  • Post game- calling out Kadri as an idiot, no mention of the overall game circumstances that led to the crosscheck.

I hate the fact that SN, CBC, and TSN are all headquartered in Toronto, but anytime there is some adversity, they bite the hand that feeds them. A big FU to leafs fans!!!

Edited- removed my comments defending Kadri

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
We all know HNIC is anti Leafs. There is nothing new here.

Also, you don't want this to be a Kadri thread but then defend him. You're just asking for it.

Reactions: v4karuna

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
We all know HNIC is anti Leafs. There is nothing new here.

We should do something about it, like show up to the CBC and SN buildings and protest. Nothing crazy, maybe throw a couple of stones and break a window. I honestly think that'll be enough to get the point across, given how sensitive people are these days lol

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
They have been calling out the refs for not calling penalties in the Leafs favor though.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I've never got the impression HNIC was anti-Leafs at all.

Quite the opposite, actually. I caught the colour guy saying "we" a few times when referring to the Leafs.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
Do you're mad at them for being correct?

Yes they are correct, but that's not why I'm mad.

I'm mad because of their attitude and choice of words. Considering its a leafs game on national broadcast, with majority of the viewership in Toronto, choose your words carefully!

Why not say something like 'Nylander is having a tough game, its unacceptable " instead of "He is a horrible player, I would rather have Jake Debrusk on my team". This was unacceptable to say at the moment (2nd period intermission), when you know there is animosity and nerves towards Boston given recent history.

Also, not a fan of the 'big bad bruins' narrative I have to listen to every time. Its like they are trying to hit the nerve of leaf fans, and drawing out that narrative to give this hopeless feeling. They don't inspire and there is no excitement in the broadcasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: GardinerTheForward

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I'm pissed off at CBC, SN, and (post game TSN - Craig button) folks over last night's broadcast..
  • Sucking up to the bruins pre game - big bad bruins narrative. Literally no one thought the leafs can pull this one off
well, they're right - Leafs out in first round again, last night clearly proves it

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
HNIC started trying to be 'neutral' when the Leafs were bad and they were accused of being to 'pro-Leafs' so in being 'neutral' they've go so far the other way to make everyone else look better than the Leafs.
The best examples of HNIC being anti Leafs is the broadcasting of Jim Hughson. Whenever the Leafs happen to win he sounds so deflated and upset. However other times when the Leafs play the Canucks as an example listen to how happy he is when Josh Leivo scored against Toronto or when the Canucks defeated them in overtime.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I hate SN. They run HNIC too now. Worst sports network in the world. They're trying to Larry Murphy Nylander out of town.

Disgusting network. Hope TSN gets the next tv deal.
many hockey personalities have called out Nylander, why do you think that's happened, is it a conspiracy or is Willy's play the result of honest critiquing?

Reactions: Cams

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The best examples of HNIC being anti Leafs is the broadcasting of Jim Hughson. Whenever the Leafs happen to win he sounds so deflated and upset. However other times when the Leafs play the Canucks as an example listen to how happy he is when Josh Leivo scored against Toronto or when the Canucks defeated them in overtime.

I just wasted 5 minutes watching this video of what's pretty much unbiased play by play, if this is what's bothering Leaf Nation, the fan base is in worse shape than I thought.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
HNIC is in turmoil, has been since day 1 of the Rogers deal. Way too long a list to detail all the problems. From on air talent to the behind the scenes production team more people have been moved than from Central America to the U.S. border. All the disarray can be traced back to the guys that made the deal, hired their friends with little or no talent and drove the much storied franchise into the toilet. I for one am disgusted by what has happened to my HNIC, but then again, I am grateful I can watch all the action on NBC. Nice to see an organization that learned their lessons well, light years ahead of Rogers. TSN is by far the best sports broadcaster in the country. But then again, they were trained by CBC guys when the boys from Corp Sports knew what they were doing.

Reactions: v4karuna

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn’t watch the video highlight but liked it anyway because I watched the game live.

If you cannot recognize the bias ...
Maybe I'm wrong about this but when I heard Hughson screaming "Leivo scores" watching it live on TV, I could have sworn someone from Sportsnet edited the video once it was posted on YouTube to make him sound like he not as happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad