News Article: Hockey is back in Manitoba!

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I’m genuinely curious how the Winkler Flyers off ice season is going to go… I grew up out in the area and the community really supports the MJHL.
However with A: having to show vacaination card this is going to be a huge issue in the community. First only about 30% of those over 12 in Winkler and 20% in the surrounding Rm of Stanly are vaccinated.
B: Enforcement in Winkler is almost non existent as is. If you go to the Winkler Canadian tire/Super store I would guess 10% are wearing a mask. The local restaurants do not enforce vaccination QR code for entry.
So what happens for Flyers games? Does the MJHL have increased officials there to ensure that COVID restrictions are being made? I can guarantee you that there will be many winklerites showing up unvaccinated demanding to be let in. Or the person at the gate simply not enforcing that you must be vaccinated. What happens if 80% of the fans are not wearing masks? Does the MJHL stop the game?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I’m genuinely curious how the Winkler Flyers off ice season is going to go… I grew up out in the area and the community really supports the MJHL.
However with A: having to show vacaination card this is going to be a huge issue in the community. First only about 30% of those over 12 in Winkler and 20% in the surrounding Rm of Stanly are vaccinated.
B: Enforcement in Winkler is almost non existent as is. If you go to the Winkler Canadian tire/Super store I would guess 10% are wearing a mask. The local restaurants do not enforce vaccination QR code for entry.
So what happens for Flyers games? Does the MJHL have increased officials there to ensure that COVID restrictions are being made? I can guarantee you that there will be many winklerites showing up unvaccinated demanding to be let in. Or the person at the gate simply not enforcing that you must be vaccinated. What happens if 80% of the fans are not wearing masks? Does the MJHL stop the game?

I suspect that the Flyers have to enforce the rules because violating public health orders will get them shut down in a hurry. I guess they can point at a bad cop in this situation and say it's the government's fault and hope that their anti-vaxxing covid-denying fanbase understands and doesn't take it out on them.

Tough spot for the Flyers to be in for sure. But rules are rules.

Reactions: Wolf357

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Freeze got pounded again, 9-1 by the Blues.

I'm going to try to make it out to a game or two in the next few weeks to see what's going on with the home teams. I would have expected some improvement from the Freeze since they had some time to prepare for this season after a huge rush job last year.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Freeze got pounded again, 9-1 by the Blues.

I'm going to try to make it out to a game or two in the next few weeks to see what's going on with the home teams. I would have expected some improvement from the Freeze since they had some time to prepare for this season after a huge rush job last year.
They wouldn't have any bantam draft players, nor any community funneling them players.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Club website has added mention of proof of vaccination to enter the arena.
Winkler Flyers Game Tickets For 2021-22 Season - Winkler Flyers

The question now: is it even being enforced?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Club website has added mention of proof of vaccination to enter the arena.
Winkler Flyers Game Tickets For 2021-22 Season - Winkler Flyers

The question now: is it even being enforced?
Last time I was in Winkler (2/3 weeks ago) I would say 70% of the people in Canadian tire and superstore were not wearing masks and about 30-40% of the staff…
If you go by the recent Free Press article enforcement at restaurants is nonexistent. Not sure how strong the MJHL will enforce? But if it’s locals at the gate…Civility is in short supply in Winkler, where public-health orders are openly ignored by many residents

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00