News Article: Hockey is back in Manitoba!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The MJHL has started their exhibition season. For a hockey game near you, check the link:

MJHL | Official League Site

Here's a story explaining the set-up:

MJHL announces 2020-21 Regular Season schedule

Why not throw a few bucks at amateur sport?

I haven't watched a MJHL game since I was in Winkler for Hockey Day in Canada. Before that it was the St. Boniface Saints.

Hope the season lasts, the spread is pretty rapid right now. I like the new divisional alignment, should save some travel money.

At the other end of the spectrum Kildonan East announced it was cancelling hockey for the year.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Saw some pics from the Blues game on social media the other day, looks like they've done a good job of limiting numbers, spreading people out and keeping fans safe by requiring masks. I'm looking forward to checking them out along with the new kids in town, the Freeze.

I haven't been to an MJHL game in decades but I feel pretty lucky to have the chance. I don't think the other western jr. A leagues are going to be playing in front of fans, at least not right away.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The regular season in the MJHL starts on Friday with 6 games:

Swan Valley at OCN
Winkler at Neepawa
Portage at Virden
Wpg Blues at Selkirk
Steinbach at Wpg Freeze
Waywayseecappo at Dauphin

Schedule link: MJHL | Official League Site

The MMJHL is still in pre-season but the regular season starts October 13th.

Schedule link: Manitoba Major Junior Hockey League - M.M.J.H.L. - mmjhl.ca

Other provinces are practicing. Alberta will start exhibition games on October 9th: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-junior-hockey-league-announces-2020-exhibition-schedule-1.5131614

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Saw some pics from the Blues game on social media the other day, looks like they've done a good job of limiting numbers, spreading people out and keeping fans safe by requiring masks. I'm looking forward to checking them out along with the new kids in town, the Freeze.

I haven't been to an MJHL game in decades but I feel pretty lucky to have the chance. I don't think the other western jr. A leagues are going to be playing in front of fans, at least not right away.
The Blues have always had 75 people at their games lol
They don't have to worry about spacing out fans, they never get any!

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
The Blues have always had 75 people at their games lol
They don't have to worry about spacing out fans, they never get any!
There were hundreds at the first Freeze game Friday night. While they tried their best, I don't think their physical distancing protocols were very good. Fans exited without waiting their turns, and the grandstands didn't really allow for a lot of spacing.
I actually would suggest not going to games at The Rink in the short term.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
There were hundreds at the first Freeze game Friday night. While they tried their best, I don't think their physical distancing protocols were very good. Fans exited without waiting their turns, and the grandstands didn't really allow for a lot of spacing.
I actually would suggest not going to games at The Rink in the short term.

I was at the Blues game on Saturday and my experience was pretty similar. The entrance process with the temperature checks was good, but after that it kind of fell apart. Just something as obvious as taping off every other row would help. We found seats on a row that weren't too close to anyone, and then some guy came by and sat down in the row directly behind us... WTF. And everyone just left normally afterwards despite numerous announcements to remain seated after the game.

The good news is that if past years trends hold true, attendance tends to drop off sharply after the first couple games which should allow for more room for those who are there.

As for the Freeze, they have a heavily rookie-laden team so it could be a long year for them. But they'll get better as the season goes along.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Well, I guess they continue on.

Actually, 25% capacity would be a lot safer for fans to space out. Do you think there will be ticket scarcity for a Freeze game?
No. The Rink is kind of off the beaten path. Games at the Civic Centre or Wayne Fleming Arena would be better. I have attended games in Portage, Selkirk, and Dauphin. All are wonderful facilities.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
No. The Rink is kind of off the beaten path. Games at the Civic Centre or Wayne Fleming Arena would be better. I have attended games in Portage, Selkirk, and Dauphin. All are wonderful facilities.

The Rink is nice but it is 100% not set up for spectator events. Not that the Blues or Freeze would typically draw that many fans, but from a fan standpoint The Rink is really just a nicer, newer version of St. Vital Centennial or Billy Mosienko Arena. Nowhere near the out of town venues you mentioned.

It would have been nice if the Winnipeg MJHL clubs could have used Wayne Fleming if no one else is using it now. It has more room for distancing and a few extra touches like a replay screen. There is a small screen at The Rink, but all they use it for is a running scroll of ads… maybe they could interrupt the FAIRWAY DIVORCE SOLUTIONS commercials to show us a replay of the goals? :laugh:

Also WRT The Rink, how did they manage to mess up the ice on Sunday? Considering they have NHL-bound talent skating on that ice every day, you'd think they would get that right.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Is The Rink completely finished yet? I still haven't been out there.... curious to see it.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Is The Rink completely finished yet? I still haven't been out there.... curious to see it.

Yes and no, the first phase of RTC is finished. The second phase was supposed to be the WHL venue for the Ice, but with the apparent falling out between RTC and 50 Below, who knows if that will ever happen.

What they built is nice, great facility but it isn't meant as a spectator venue. Even the MJHL is kind of pushing it in terms of what it can handle.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
The Rink is nice but it is 100% not set up for spectator events. Not that the Blues or Freeze would typically draw that many fans, but from a fan standpoint The Rink is really just a nicer, newer version of St. Vital Centennial or Billy Mosienko Arena. Nowhere near the out of town venues you mentioned.

It would have been nice if the Winnipeg MJHL clubs could have used Wayne Fleming if no one else is using it now. It has more room for distancing and a few extra touches like a replay screen. There is a small screen at The Rink, but all they use it for is a running scroll of ads… maybe they could interrupt the FAIRWAY DIVORCE SOLUTIONS commercials to show us a replay of the goals? :laugh:

Also WRT The Rink, how did they manage to mess up the ice on Sunday? Considering they have NHL-bound talent skating on that ice every day, you'd think they would get that right.

Those video ad screens, I believe, are in every MJHL facility. Dynamic advertising system set up by the league.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Another week, and seemingly another threat to the continuation of this MJHL season.

Am I overexaggerating, or will we see a forced suspension for those Southeast teams?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Another week, and seemingly another threat to the continuation of this MJHL season.

Am I overexaggerating, or will we see a forced suspension for those Southeast teams?

Good question. I've been having a great time going to see games at The Rink and I have felt fairly comfortable doing so. But with the way things have been going lately I'm starting to wonder if it's still a good idea...

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Yes and no, the first phase of RTC is finished. The second phase was supposed to be the WHL venue for the Ice, but with the apparent falling out between RTC and 50 Below, who knows if that will ever happen.

What they built is nice, great facility but it isn't meant as a spectator venue. Even the MJHL is kind of pushing it in terms of what it can handle.
What was the fall out? First I hear of this. Does that mean the Ice won't get a new rink? Wayne Fleming sux...imo

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
What was the fall out? First I hear of this. Does that mean the Ice won't get a new rink? Wayne Fleming sux...imo

Your guess is as good as mine, I don't recall any of the reporters who cover junior hockey mentioning any details about what it means for the Ice and a new arena. But at first glance, it doesn't look all that great.

The Ice can't play at Wayne Fleming for the long haul. It could never be more than a temporary venue, it's way smaller than even the small-town WHL rinks like the ones in Swift Current and Prince Albert.

Either the Ice get a new rink, find a way to play at Bell MTS, or they leave town, simple as that. I don't think there is a fourth option here.

So I assume the season is suspended?

Not necessarily. I wonder if they can shove Selkirk into the Northwest and Steinbach into the Interior division and keep playing with two divisions?

This year all teams make the playoffs and winning percentages are decisive, so it looks like the season was set up with the expectation that some teams would have to suspend their operations at some point.

Reactions: Channelcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->