WGR: Hockey Hotline & General WGR Talk – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
These two are unbelievable. Talking about how they need more "sandpaper", specifically Pat Kaleta. O'Reilly, Girgensons, Foligno, Deslauriers, Mcgill, McCormick. That is more than enough "sandpaper." Not to mention that Kane and Legwand can more than hold their own. These two are clueless.

O'reilly doesn't provide sandpaper. But I agree.. I think we're good in that department...especially when you include Bogosian and to a lesser degree...Weber.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
'What about signing pretty much every FA ever' - Andrew peters..

Tough to listen to that guy.. He'll just ramble off any name he can think of..

Normally I just download interview segments from WGR but earlier I nabbed a segment "Howard Simon reacts to draft day" or some such. At one point he mentioned maybe needing a right winger? Or was it left winger? I can't recall because they are equally things we don't need. :shakehead I doh't understand anyone who humors the idea of adding another non-AHL forward. We already have no room after waiving Hodgson.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think there is a debate worth having around whether we have enough team toughness as a deterrent against going after our young stars. While there is no longer a place in the game for a 4 minute enforcer, i believe lineup wide toughness is still a big part of getting through the regular season healthy where it matters.

We have some guys who will drop the gloves, but do we have the types of guys who can affect what the opponent is willing to do? Or is there a belief that that is no longer part of the game?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think there is a debate worth having around whether we have enough team toughness as a deterrent against going after our young stars. While there is no longer a place in the game for a 4 minute enforcer, i believe lineup wide toughness is still a big part of getting through the regular season healthy where it matters.

We have some guys who will drop the gloves, but do we have the types of guys who can affect what the opponent is willing to do? Or is there a belief that that is no longer part of the game?

No... but you're not going to find one of those players that isn't a Goon ...except maybe Lucic.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm all about Line up toughness as opposed to dressing goons.

I like our "Team Toughness".

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I don't think we're truly going to find out until someone cheap-shots Reinhart/Eichel. We did just trade away 1 guy I think would drop the gloves to stand up for his teammates (Zads).

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Evander Kane did knock out a grown man Matt Cooke with one punch when he was 18. He may not go chasing down enforcers, but he is a pretty tough kid. From top to bottom this lineup has a lot of toughness.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Foligno
Deslauriers
Kane

These 3 guys can throw haymakers with anyone.

We don't have any goons on the team anymore but we def have a few guys who can throw them, along with a big number that can throw big hits too (ex: Risto, Girgs, Bogosian, etc...).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Foligno
Deslauriers
Kane

These 3 guys can throw haymakers with anyone.

We don't have any goons on the team anymore but we def have a few guys who can throw them, along with a big number that can throw big hits too (ex: Risto, Girgs, Bogosian, etc...).

I don't think Foligno makes sense on the list. He's willing to drop, but he's not a guy that's gonna make anyone think twice... similar to Weber. He'll drop em, but he's not exactly a deterrent.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No... but you're not going to find one of those players that isn't a Goon ...except maybe Lucic.

ii dont know if that's true... but i admit, it's not something i've thought about much... when's the last time we had talent worth protecting :laugh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We did just trade away 1 guy I think would drop the gloves to stand up for his teammates (Zads).

I think we have those. Bogo, Foligno, Kane, Des, McCormick, Weber, Gorges -- they'll all drop when necessary.

But to Jame's point -- I don't think we have a deterrent.....and unless a trade is made, I don't think there's one for room on the roster right now.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I don't think Foligno makes sense on the list. He's willing to drop, but he's not a guy that's gonna make anyone think twice... similar to Weber. He'll drop em, but he's not exactly a deterrent.

Before his injuries, Foligno could throw at a high level. Sure, he's not a Colton Orr-type, but he could more than hold his own with anyone below the true enforcer level.

Kane can throw, Des can throw, McCormick is around for some occasions, and Bogo will stick up for teammates. Weber might be a bad fighter, but at least he's willing, too. There's more grit throughout the lineup than we've had in quite some time, and there's grit will skill, too.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I think we have those. Bogo, Foligno, Kane, Des, McCormick, Weber, Gorges -- they'll all drop when necessary.

But to Jame's point -- I don't think we have a deterrent.....and unless a trade is made, I don't think there's one for room on the roster right now.

The ending of the enforcer era made me really sad, but now, I don't see much point in it if no one else has one. I can't think of many teams who carry a deterrent anymore.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Before his injuries, Foligno could throw at a high level. Sure, he's not a Colton Orr-type, but he could more than hold his own with anyone below the true enforcer level.

Kane can throw, Des can throw, McCormick is around for some occasions, and Bogo will stick up for teammates. Weber might be a bad fighter, but at least he's willing, too. There's more grit throughout the lineup than we've had in quite some time, and there's grit will skill, too.

im going to have to review some foligno fights.... the lineup is definitely bigger and tougher than it has been in over a decade...

The ending of the enforcer era made me really sad, but now, I don't see much point in it if no one else has one. I can't think of many teams who carry a deterrent anymore.

im not thinking of strict enforcers...
maybe im imagining something that doesn't exist....

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
maybe im imagining something that doesn't exist....

I think you're thinking old school -- somebody like Lindros or Shanahan or Tkachuk. Guys that could play, but that would absolutely beat the living **** out of you if you stepped out of line. To the point where no one really tried anything against anyone good in their lineups, 'cause the offender (or a good player on the offending team) would likely get their face beaten in by aforementioned players.

Lucic was probably the next in line, but he turned into a turtling little *****. Kane might become some version of it.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I like the grit in our forward group. I don't get this conversation.

Our D also has some grit. Our Goalie is nuts. I'm quite happy with the make up of this roster grit and toughness wise.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

No, I don't believe it's part of the game at all. See: Instigator rule

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
People calling in favor of trading away Reinhart.

Lunacy, IMO.

The reason they're (including me) saying that is because of the fact we have 2 elite level centers in Eichel and O'Reilly. We also have the next tier of Girgensons and Larsson.

Right now Samson has very high value. He's the former #2 overall pick, he's a center, and his ELC hasn't kicked in yet. If TM ever wanted to go out and get a #1 elite defenseman (left side), then yes Reinhart could be included in a package, whether it be for OEL, Brodin, etc...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
People calling in favor of trading away Reinhart.

Lunacy, IMO.

Murray got Oreilly without giving up any proven or sure thing core pieces
Murray got Kane without giving up any proven or sure thing core pieces

I think we can give him some room over the next 18 months to do the same to find a top 4 LD.

Reinhart is not getting traded anytime soon.

Look what Dougie Hamilton went for... Let's pretend we have the 9th overall pick in 2016, and make a similar deal to solve our LD hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad