WGR: Hockey Hotline & General WGR Talk – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Murray got Oreilly without giving up any proven or sure thing core pieces
Murray got Kane without giving up any proven or sure thing core pieces

I think we can give him some room over the next 18 months to do the same to find a top 4 LD.

Reinhart is not getting traded anytime soon.

Look what Dougie Hamilton went for... Let's pretend we have the 9th overall pick in 2016, and make a similar deal to solve our LD hole.

Good insight.

We are hosting the draft next year, we will make a splash for sure. That sounds like a solid plan.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
There's more grit throughout the lineup than we've had in quite some time, and there's grit will skill, too.

I'm all about Line up toughness as opposed to dressing goons.

I like our "Team Toughness".

I do too - there are a lot of guys who will be tough to play against and have a feisty side to their game.

But to Jame's point -- I don't think we have a deterrent.....and unless a trade is made, I don't think there's one for room on the roster right now.

Definitely the case - but that's not a problem IMO.

I can't think of many teams who carry a deterrent anymore.

maybe im imagining something that doesn't exist....

Rhett makes a good point - who really was a deterrent on the two Cup finalists to protect Stamkos, Hedman, Kane, Toews, etc.? When I think of the "deterrent" in terms of someone on the roster who'd intimidate other teams just by their mere presence in the lineup, it seems those were synonymous with the enforcers of 5-10 years ago. I just don't see any teams having that element - team toughness and the "pack mentality" seems to be the way teams intend to protect their star players.

People calling in favor of trading away Reinhart.

Lunacy, IMO.

WGR's talk show hosts have been pumping that notion for weeks - it is sheer lunacy as you said.

The reason they're (including me) saying that is because of the fact we have 2 elite level centers in Eichel and O'Reilly. We also have the next tier of Girgensons and Larsson

Agreed. One of our greatest orginzational weaknesses of the past decade has finally been addressed and people want to deplete the resources. :shakehead

Totally agree with you, Gig - it's almost like some fans can't tolerate having strong depth at a position. We've seen how weak the Sabres have been at center for the past 7 years - now they have 3 top line-capable centers and 2-strong backup centers. I see no logic in sacrificing any of them.

Murray got Oreilly without giving up any proven or sure thing core pieces
Murray got Kane without giving up any proven or sure thing core pieces

I think we can give him some room over the next 18 months to do the same to find a top 4 LD.

Reinhart is not getting traded anytime soon.

Look what Dougie Hamilton went for... Let's pretend we have the 9th overall pick in 2016, and make a similar deal to solve our LD hole.

You can always be counted on a succinct and common sense state of things, Jame - totally agree. Murray seems to be a master at innovation and creative thinking. He'll add the right defenseman without ripping the team apart or he'll wait til the season starts - either way, I trust his instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad