Hockey History: Please vote for the 5 best players (Crosby, OV, etc.)

Please vote for the 5 best players

• Sidney Crosby

Votes: 132 84.6%
  • Dominik Hasek

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • Eddie Shore

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • Nicklas Lidstrom

Votes: 121 77.6%
  • Jaromir Jagr

Votes: 141 90.4%
  • Red Kelly

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Denis Potvin

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Jacques Plante

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Frank Nighbor

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Mark Messier

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Alex Ovechkin

Votes: 120 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
If Messier played today he'd easily be the best player. Talk about recency bias!

Messier was not only a high scoring C but he was also one of the best power forwards of all time and probably the best captain of all time.

Messier
OV
Jagr
Crosby
Plante

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If Messier played today he'd easily be the best player. Talk about recency bias!

Messier was not only a high scoring C but he was also one of the best power forwards of all time and probably the best captain of all time.

Messier
OV
Jagr
Crosby
Plante
Messier has like one era-adjusted season over 100 points. He's a lesser tier than Crosby, OV, or Jagr.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Messier
OV
Jagr
Crosby
Plante
If Messier played today he would have the bleeding hearts demanding that the league ban him for life. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Messier
OV
Jagr
Crosby
Plante

Crosby and Ovechkin have superior trophy cases and individual totals (when accounting for era) than Messier does. What does Messier have over either guy other than Cups, of which he kind of had the benefit of playing 2C behind a guy named Wayne that the other two didn't.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Eddie Shore wouldve had 8 Norrises along wih his 4 Harts. I mean the guy played just 10 years before Howe and Richard. No reason to dismiss Shore any more than them.

Crosby
Ovie
Jagr
Hasek
Shore

Reactions: Hawkman

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Eddie Shore wouldve had 8 Norrises along wih his 4 Harts. I mean the guy played just 10 years before Howe and Richard. No reason to dismiss Shore any more than them.

Crosby
Ovie
Jagr
Hasek
Shore

I see 7 first team all stars for Shore, so you’re at least 1 off.

how many of those was he 1st in votes for?

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I see 7 first team all stars for Shore, so you’re at least 1 off.

how many of those was he 1st in votes for?
You're not including 1929 and possibly 1928

This was discussed in depth in the HOH Dmen list and most agreed he would've had 8

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So how many all star teams was he first place in?
Well he was 3rd in Hart voting in 1928 and 1929, so he was surely the best Dman for at least 6 years..... I don't think we know the voting for the other years, but I'm willing to bet he was 1st at least twice in his non Hart years, to make 8. But again, this was discussed amongst several posters who seem to know quite a bit about hockey history.

Whatever the case, Lidstrom getting more votes here is fine, but it's not because people took the time to research Shore, that's for sure. It's always difficult to compare eras, but if we easily put Howe and Richard Top 10, then Shore can't be far behind

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad