Hockey History Books

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
So, I read Ken Dryden's Scotty bio recently (somehow, it was available here in Japan!).

I was really looking forward to it, as I've long wanted to know more about Bowman and his unique and incredibly successful coaching style. Dryden I consider a kind, very intelligent, stuffy wind-bag who writes okay books and pontificates a lot. But, I figured he knows Bowman as well as anyone, and who better to write the book in 2019?

Anyway, my final score-card here is C+ to B-. Basically, it's passable but a disappointment.

For the good:

Since Bowman is not known as a storyteller, Dryden hit upon the idea of getting Scotty to evaluate historical hockey teams instead, and, in so doing, to offer his great insights into the game. Thus, as Scotty's history goes from the 1940s' Leafs right through to the Lightning and Blackhawks of today, the book dovetails its way from one great team in history to another (the "8 Greatest" teams that Bowman picked), as Scotty's life history passes from one team/city to the next, and from one era of his life to another. I did find this a brilliant way to frame the narrative, and indeed it worked really well.

I also enjoyed Dryden's take on Scotty's early life and family history. It was very adequate.

Scotty's comments on a few particular players -- Serge Savard (esp. his route to the NHL), Jacques Plante, and Mario Lemieux, for example -- were fascinating, but only for a few players (see below for the other side of this).

We all expected that Sam Pollock had made a big impact on Bowman, but I had no idea how big. This book makes that very clear, and Scotty has many great things to say about Pollock that are interesting.

For the bad:

Perhaps not surprisingly for a coach known to give nothing away, there is very little of Scotty's personality revealed here. You don't come away from the book feeling you know anything more about Bowman, frankly. I actually find him more inscrutable than ever, having read this book.

Even worse, there are very few Bowman-insights into hockey. What comments he does give are occasionally interesting... but mostly banal. He basically has nothing to say whatsoever about players like Maurice Richard (whom he regularly watched as a teen at the Forum), Bobby Orr (whom he scouted... but says nothing about that experience), Guy Lafleur (Lafleur might never have existed on evidence of this book), etc. At one point, he tries to explain Gretzky to Dryden, but (as Dryden says), Scotty has to back-track as he can't come up with accurate words to analyze him (there's also no mention at all of Bowman's having coached Gretzky briefly, or of the 1981 Canada Cup -- it's skipped over completely).

I was also expecting something along the lines of Bowman's explaining his own coaching strategy or what particular choices he made in Montreal, for example, to be so successful. But there was basically nothing about this. He talked about the strength of particular players he had... but said nothing I can recall about his own coaching philosophy. I think he said a little bit about it in regards to the Junior teams he worked with in Laval and Montreal, but only a little, and then basically nothing about the NHL. (One notable exception is for his tenure with the Penguins, as he does go into some detail about his approach and the challenges he faced as temporary coach.)

Finally, the ending of the book -- where Dryden gets Bowman to do a mock "playoff" of his 8 Greatest teams to see who the eventual "winner" is -- came off as cheesy and contrived, akin to a Shoot-out deciding a playoff game.

So, I don't know whether to recommend this book or not. Maybe my expectations were too high. It's adequate, but it never really gripped me. Maybe Dryden was too cozy with Bowman to do a really detailed analysis of his career and character. He deferred to Bowman a lot to set the tone of the chapters and eras... and Bowman wasn't giving much away. There are some eras covered (like Bowman's Buffalo tenure) where Scotty evidently had nothing much to say, so Dryden fills in the holes and writes whole pages from his own perspective, not Bowman's. So then it feels contrived, like some parts are Bowman's and some parts are Dryden's.

A difficult book.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The Lidstrom book was fine. A “safe” biography is how I’d put it. Not bad, but nothing all that interesting either. Sort of left me wanting more.

Of course it's safe and not that interesting, it's Nicklas Lidström. Only way he could have made that book interesting is if he spilled some Babcock beans on the table, but he would obviously never do that because he's Nicklas Lidström.

Thing is, it doesn't even have to be that dark to be interesting. It can be funny, or if he's a good story teller he can just tell some semi-"controversial" stories from around the league and at least make it bearable. And I would have appreciated the "effort" a lot more if he at least co-wrote it or something. People most often don't want to pay money to read stuff they already know.

I came to think about it actually, because I read some tales from the 2016 memoirs of Toni Tennille, one half of the very inoffensive 1970s pop duo Captain & Tennille (who had a monster hit in 1975 with Neil Sedaka's ♬ Love Will Keep Us Together ♬ ), called Toni Tennille: A Memoir.

Captain & Tennille apparently had something of an image of a "perfect couple", just like Lidström (minus the couple thing, although you probably could have included that too if you really wanted to), and they were married for 39 years before divorcing in 2014. Apparently though, according to Tennille, the music couple only got married in the first place because their accountant had told them it would be a good thing regarding taxes. And, again according to Tennille's memoirs, Tennille decided to finally divorce Daryl "Captain" Dragon because he had shown an "inability to be affectionate" through the entirety of their marriage (they never shared bedroom, even at hotels). Although there is some speculation it was for financial reasons again, as Dragon was ill in Prescott, AZ (he died in January 2019) and medical bills had to be paid or avoided.

Another snippet from the book is regarding Captain's hat, a hat that he refused to remove under almost any circumstances whatsoever (because of hair loss). So when the couple were on vacation in Rome, Italy they couldn't visit the Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel because of this reason (Daryl Dragon refusing to remove his hat). And he also had a food obsession so they couldn't eat Italian pasta at fancy restaurants because Dragon would only settle for whole wheat pasta and steamed vegetables at a special and apparently quite non-glamorous health restaurant.

If Lidström dropped a couple of similar stories, it would probably make his book a little better. It doesn't even have to be about himself. Toni Tennille's stories weren't much about herself.

It's interesting though it at least seems to exist a pretty viable market for these biographies, even if it's just run-of-the-mill stuff. It's not Lidström chatting with Dennis Rodman at a restaurant, then Rodman suddenly disappears, and the next day he's in North Korea and on world wide television hanging out with Kim Jong-un.

dkitson16

Jul 23, 2017
I'm mostly interested in the history of hockey from a business perspective: How and why the game grew where it did. I've seen some books in the forst 20 pages I know I need to get to.

My three favourites on early hockey:
1. Lords of the RInks - John Chi-Kit Wong
2. The NHL: A Centennial History - D'Arcy Jenish

and an unpublished Thesis that I think is better researched than both:
3. Hockey Capital: Commerce, Capital and the National Hockey League 1917-1967 - James Andrew Ross

Google it and it's yours

Thy did I like Ross's book? It gave alot more detail - backed by references on the behind the scenes moves than the first 2.

FOr example Information on Len Peto's attempts to re-activate the Maroons franchise in Philly are hard to come by. Newspaper reports kind of die off in June 1948 even though the NHL indicated there would be news within a week. Jenish's book is light on detail and actually has errors, saying the story was done in 1947. Other sources are equally lite and make the same error. Ross's book goes into the full story as he dug up some lawsuits involving Peto that provided the detail newspapers didn't report and some books didn't.

Other books:

Origins and Development of IHL and its effects on the sport of Professional Ice Hockey in North America - Daniel Scott Mason – PDF Thesis - Haven't read all of it yet I was just looking at the IHL's early attempts to get into larger midwest markets. If they had they could have beaten the NHA/NHL to hockey dominance.

Ice Warriors: The Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League - Jon C. Stott - A season by season review of the league(s). I wasn't in to the comments on players and games and season standings - but many people may be. What was gold to me was the detail on why the WHL (Seattle, Portland, etc rejected the WHA - and detail on the "White Paper" the WHL signed with the NHL that "guaranteed" three WHL teams (Stott's one error was believing the number was 4) WHL teams would get to the NHL. This paper is why Denver and Seattle were announced as 1976 expansion teams and why San Diego was certain to follow if San DIego hadn't gone WHA instead and then the whole NHL expansion plan imploded.

If anyone knows of a good book on the history of the AHL from the above perspective that would be helpful. I'm interested in their attempts to avoid becoming fully subserviant to the NHL and their flirtation with turning fully professional, both with the WHL and at other times.

I Just Noticed J. Andrew J Ross wrote Joining the CLubs - covers up to 1945 so it probably covers much of the same material as his thesis above.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Anyone have a recommendation of a pre-NHL history book? Especially interested in the 1900s and pre-pro hockey.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I Just Noticed J. Andrew J Ross wrote Joining the CLubs - covers up to 1945 so it probably covers much of the same material as his thesis above.

I'm fairly certain Joining the Clubs is just his thesis re-worked a bit. I've been waiting to read it and had the local library purchase it, but still hasn't arrived yet.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It always seems like watching & following hockey gets in the way of reading about hockey this time of year for me. But I finally worked my way through Icing On The Plains: The Rough Ride of Kansas City's NHL Scouts, by (according to the book's back cover) newspaper sports writer & radio broadcaster Troy Treasure. The first couple of chapters were almost painfully long for me, as the author tried to set the scene for the arrival of the NHL expansion franchise with descriptions of pro sports in KC and the multiple ownership groups competing to bring NHL hockey to town. Once past those preludes, the book's pace picks up briefly through the establishment of the front office group & coaching staff then bogs down again as he begins a game-by-game account of the Scouts' two seasons in town. Treasure's newspaper background becomes quite obvious, as his content becomes repetitive & clearly based on his research (and recounting) of box scores and local media game summaries. By the time I got halfway through the book, I had to start skimming through his monotonous accounts of goals & assists & shots on goal & final scores just to make it to the end (eventually). IMO, the only redeeming content in the whole book was his occasional inclusion of brief bios for some obscure NHL players of the era who played with & against the Scouts in their franchise's 1974-76 stay at Kemper Arena (e.g., Randy Rota, Butch Deadmarsh, Bart Crashley, Simon Nolet, Gary Croteau, Mike Baumgartner, Robin Burns, Peter McDuffe, Denis Herron, Tommy Williams).

If you are or have been a hockey fan in the Kansas City area, Icing On The Plains may offer more interest to you than it did to me. But I would not recommend it as a noteworthy perspective of how the NHL came & left town. It appears you could get most of it from reading newspaper archives.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Along with the just released Toe Blake and Andre Lacroix books, here are some announced titles for the upcoming fall book season:

The Whalers: The Rise, Fall, and Enduring Mystique of New England’s (Second) Greatest NHL Franchise (Pat Pickens)

Finding Murph: From First Overall To Living Homeless In The Bush - The Tragic True Story of Joe Murphy (Rick Westhead)

Fabric of The Game: The Stories Behind The NHL’s Names, Logos, and Uniforms (Chris Creamer & Todd Radom)

Undrafted: Hockey, Family, and What It Takes To Be A Pro (Nick Kypreos & Perry Lefko)

Call Me Lanny (Lanny McDonald & Kirstie McLellan Day)

Catch 22 (Rick Vaive & Scott Morrison)

Hot Stove: The Untold Stories of The Original Hockey Insiders (Al Strachan)

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The Whalers: The Rise, Fall, and Enduring Mystique of New England’s (Second) Greatest NHL Franchise (Pat Pickens)

Bummer that this isn't out until October. Might be skim as it's only 256 pages and that will include a forward and any notations. Presents a good opportunity to use an Amazon gift card I have left over from Christmas.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Recently read J. Andrew Ross' Joining the Clubs: The Business of the National Hockey League to 1945. While it is nice to have a book dedicated to such a subject, it really didn't add much that wasn't said in John Chi-Kit Wong's Lords of the Rinks. While Ross does get more into the business side of things, and has a lot of numbers and figures to show (like attendance, revenues, and so on), in large part he overlaps with what Wong covered, which is the various battles the NHL had to fight in order to reach its place as the top league in North America. I did like that Ross had a good focus on the US side of things, in particular New York (both the Americans and the Rangers), but overall it didn't really shine that much new information on things.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Troy Treasure

Apr 30, 2020
It always seems like watching & following hockey gets in the way of reading about hockey this time of year for me. But I finally worked my way through Icing On The Plains: The Rough Ride of Kansas City's NHL Scouts, by (according to the book's back cover) newspaper sports writer & radio broadcaster Troy Treasure. The first couple of chapters were almost painfully long for me, as the author tried to set the scene for the arrival of the NHL expansion franchise with descriptions of pro sports in KC and the multiple ownership groups competing to bring NHL hockey to town. Once past those preludes, the book's pace picks up briefly through the establishment of the front office group & coaching staff then bogs down again as he begins a game-by-game account of the Scouts' two seasons in town. Treasure's newspaper background becomes quite obvious, as his content becomes repetitive & clearly based on his research (and recounting) of box scores and local media game summaries. By the time I got halfway through the book, I had to start skimming through his monotonous accounts of goals & assists & shots on goal & final scores just to make it to the end (eventually). IMO, the only redeeming content in the whole book was his occasional inclusion of brief bios for some obscure NHL players of the era who played with & against the Scouts in their franchise's 1974-76 stay at Kemper Arena (e.g., Randy Rota, Butch Deadmarsh, Bart Crashley, Simon Nolet, Gary Croteau, Mike Baumgartner, Robin Burns, Peter McDuffe, Denis Herron, Tommy Williams).

If you are or have been a hockey fan in the Kansas City area, Icing On The Plains may offer more interest to you than it did to me. But I would not recommend it as a noteworthy perspective of how the NHL came & left town. It appears you could get most of it from reading newspaper archives.
Thank you for the glowing recommendation. You must bore easy. Oh, you made a disparaging remark about my actual name earlier. How nice.

By the way, I thought the Federko/Rutherford book was, unlike you, very good ... outstanding, in fact ... and highly recommend it. [Mod]

Last edited:

Troy Treasure

Apr 30, 2020
Here's a review from someone with bona fides.

"Troy researches like a historian and thinks like a hockey beat reporter. The result is a comprehensive and wonderfully-written account of the life and death of the Kansas City Scouts. Throughout, Troy has resurrected hockey names and history that provides the reader with hours of entertainment ... and education. This definitely belongs in any hockey fan's library."

Cynthia Lambert, former Detroit Red Wings beat reporter for the Detroit News and author of Power Play: My Life Inside the Red Wings Locker Room

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Thank you for the glowing recommendation. You must bore easy. Oh, you made a disparaging remark about my actual name earlier. How nice.

By the way, I thought the Federko/Rutherford book was, unlike you, very good ... outstanding, in fact ... and highly recommend it. [Mod]
Our tastes in reading (and writing) clearly differ. Nevertheless, I wish you many more sales of many more titles in the future. Your name is certainly a memorable one.

Troy Treasure

Apr 30, 2020
Our tastes in reading (and writing) clearly differ. Nevertheless, I wish you many more sales of many more titles in the future. Your name is certainly a memorable one.
If you were to list what you have written and detail how to access such material, it would be easier to verify your first sentence. Thank you. Troy

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Finished Hockey: A Global History (2018) by Stephen Hardy and Andrew C. Holman.

It was a very unique take on the history of hockey. They divided it into four historical eras: pre-1875 (when the first recognized game was held), 1875-1920 (established rules to 1920 Olympics), 1920-1972 (1920 Olympics to Summit Series), 1972-2010 (Summit Series to 2010 Olympics). They argued these are important breaks in terms of looking at the game in global context, not just in Canada/US.

They then looked at the game in all aspects but the NHL (though of course that was touched on a bit, but not really). In particular they touched on women's hockey and American amateur hockey, which are topics not often covered in depth. They argue that North America and Europe shared concepts and ideas long before the established norm (arguably from the 1980s), and that each side benefited from the other that way. While I don't fully agree with all their arguments, they do a solid job of presenting them and definitely gives some needed depth to the topic. One other critique is that they didn't consult non-English sources, which is something they openly admit to; seeing how a large focus is on Europe, this would have been good to include and get a better handle on things, but it still does a good job for giving a global history of hockey.

Reactions: JMCx4

Troy Treasure

Apr 30, 2020
...well this is a first in this thread, I reckon.
"Mr. Gateway Arch" is entitled to his opinion insofar as my book. What provoked my initial response was the disparaging comment made earlier about my name. See, I just love how people cloak themselves in an anonymous fashion and feel like that makes it OK to be uncivil. However, to that person's credit, he reached out in a civil fashion, which I respect. The Tar Heel guy ... different story.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Currently reading The Down Goes Brown History of the NHL by Sean McIndoe. This came to me as a recommendation from Amazon. Good read thus far. I am not familiar with McIndoe. Many of the user reviews and blurbs focused on the humor of the book but it's lost on me. Perhaps his columns are more humorous in nature? Either way it's a nice history and not dry as some histories can be.

Prior I wrapped Game Change by Ken Dryden. Higher profile players are the typical subject of bios. Steve Montador was a blue collar grinder type of player that met an early demise due to substance abuse. Unfortunately he was also a CTE casualty and the book interweaves Montador's story with the research of his brain and head trauma. Not feel good reading but it deals with a serious issue that is important to discuss and not forget. For some there is a great price to pay to play a game.

Reactions: JMCx4

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Currently reading The Down Goes Brown History of the NHL by Sean McIndoe. This came to me as a recommendation from Amazon. Good read thus far. I am not familiar with McIndoe. Many of the user reviews and blurbs focused on the humor of the book but it's lost on me. Perhaps his columns are more humorous in nature? Either way it's a nice history and not dry as some histories can be.
McIndoe's humour is interesting in that I find him funnier when he doesn't make jokes. At his very best, his columns read like you're having a beer with your funniest friend and reminiscing about weird fights that happened in the late 80s, but I think he's most known for columns that have a set-it-up-knock-it-down late night TV comedy sort of format - "ten reasons your favourite team will win the cup this year" sort of stuff. His history book is definitely more like the former, but the size and scope means that it doesn't read the same way as a tight 1000-word writeup.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Recently read J. Andrew Ross' Joining the Clubs: The Business of the National Hockey League to 1945. While it is nice to have a book dedicated to such a subject, it really didn't add much that wasn't said in John Chi-Kit Wong's Lords of the Rinks. While Ross does get more into the business side of things, and has a lot of numbers and figures to show (like attendance, revenues, and so on), in large part he overlaps with what Wong covered, which is the various battles the NHL had to fight in order to reach its place as the top league in North America. I did like that Ross had a good focus on the US side of things, in particular New York (both the Americans and the Rangers), but overall it didn't really shine that much new information on things.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I broke down and ordered both books (Wong’s and Ross’s) last night to help me get through these long days at home.

Reactions: kaiser matias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad