Hockey History Books

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Stoneberg, Oct 28, 2009.

1. JMCx4

JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

Last night I finished reading The Greatest Game I Ever Played: 40 Epic Tales of Hockey Brilliance, a collection of short profiles published in 2016 and written by staff members of The Hockey News & several freelance sports writers. My wife bought the book for me as a Christmas present, not long after I had dismissed it during an on-line searches for new-to-me hockey titles. I'm glad she knows my tastes in reading better than I do, because this turned out to be a great little read. Each story is a one-to-three page retrospective on a special moment in the career of a well-known hockey player, covering personal memories from the Olympics & juniors & college & minor pro & NHL games for both men and women in the game. Not much detail in any one of the stories, but more importantly not much fluff either. The individual authors (and the book's editor, I'm sure) get right to the point, and each does a very good job of capturing the excitement & drama of the moments described. Easy & fun to read, just the way I like 'em.

2. coatjones

coatjones Debauchery #1

NYC Dept Of Sanitation
    Just finished When the Rangers Were Young by Frank Boucher. I'm sure it's been discussed in here, but it's an AWESOME flash back to the original era of the club. It's a shame that the book can be so hard to find these days. I'm really hoping that Boucher and company gets their due at the 100th anniversary.

JMCx4 likes this.
  3. JMCx4

JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

So I guess everybody's too busy watching hockey to have time to read about it? o_O

4. Chili

Chili Registered User

Was reading some books on WWI last fall including 'Victory at Vimy' (which I recommend) and that book mentioned Conn Smythe's close call during the battle.

So I picked up a copy of 'If you can't beat 'em in the alley - The memoirs of the late Conn Smythe'.

Great read about his hockey and military careers, a lot of early NHL history references including the famous Shore/Bailey incident. Smythe had a number of close calls in his lifetime, especially during his military tours in both World Wars. He became a pilot later in WWI, would be shot down and became a prisoner of war later escaping before being recaptured. He was seriously wounded in WWII, injuries that effected the rest of his life.

I don't believe he is listed as such but he was actually the first gm of the Rangers. He assembled most of the team that would win the Cup in it's second season. He got into a dispute with the owner about acquiring a player (Babe Dye) and was replaced by Lester Patrick before the Rangers played their first game. He goes on to tell the stories of buying into the Saint Patricks which he renamed the Maple Leafs after gaining control of the team. A lot of stories in there about the early days of the Leafs teams and players.

Very interesting read.

Tarantula likes this.