Hockey History Books

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
.... oh?..... lets hear about it SF. Spill. ;)
My reaction to the Seals 4-3 win over Montreal at the Forum during their worst season of 73-74... and what happened the time I missed my high school hockey game to stay home and watch Seals-Rangers from Oakland on TV starting at 11 pm NY time... I was approached for an interview but was during a bad time personally and never set it up but did send an email with two anecdotes, too bad because I had a lot more stories about what it was like to root for this team from 3,000 miles away...

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
My reaction to the Seals 4-3 win over Montreal at the Forum during their worst season of 73-74... and what happened the time I missed my high school hockey game to stay home and watch Seals-Rangers from Oakland on TV starting at 11 pm NY time...

Oh ya, very cool. Always fun when one's quoted in print be it current media or a book, even papers being produced by graduate students or grade schoolers for that matter..... and you say you "missed my high school hockey game" to watch a Seals vs Rangers tilt?..... Thats hard-core Man..... I dont care what game, nothing beats playing the game. Ha? ;)

Reactions: SealsFan

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
..... Thats hard-core Man..... I dont care what game, nothing beats playing the game. Ha? ;)

Well that season the high school team was only sanctioned for "rec" league style of play and I was one of 3 goalies and we each got to play one period, i.e. you pay, you get to play. So I didn't feel I was missing much for one game. The next year we had sanctioning for the competitive division where you had to make the team - I was the starting goalie for the whole season and I would not have skipped out of a game to watch the Seals in that instance...

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hockey Blog In Canada reviews an oldie but reportedly a goodie: 99: My Life in Pictures, by Wayne Gretzky (of course). Published in 1999, there are some very affordable on-line prices for copies both new & used.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

Found this gem at the local used book store today. Best $2 ever spent.

@seventieslord don’t you own this as well? I thought I remember you talking about Tarasov’s books.

I bought that exact book - the same cover - from seventieslord a long time ago (2011? 2012? can't recall. Maybe earlier). I've read it cover to cover three times and countless times for all-time drafts in which I quotes excerpts for picks. It became a bit warped from all my beach trips with it and I ended up including it (kept The Red Machine though) in the 100+ books I left as a hockey history collection with a used book enthusiast who said all books he didn't sell during weekend coffee meetings at his English language teaching academy he'd donate to the local library someday on Jeju Island (the biggest island in South Korea, where he and I worked, I having left it for the mainland last spring, and lightened my load by giving him a bunch of books, skates, rollerblades and several NHL jerseys (kept the new Jets navy one and ol' Canada Olympic gold one).

BTW,... $2 ????? **** ... Its worth should be $20+ and climbing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Found this gem at the local used book store today. Best $2 ever spent.

@seventieslord don’t you own this as well? I thought I remember you talking about Tarasov’s books.

Yep, I owned it on hardcover before I came across this mass market paperback version, which still had enough value to pass on to another fan... which I did.... to VanIslander, as he mentioned. I wonder where it is now!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
$2 is certainly a steal. I’m seeing the exact same mass market paperback edition listed as high as $225 online and the 1st edition as high as $400. No way it sells as high as what they are asking, IMO, but that’s the list price anyways..

I also picked up today:

The Bobby Orr Story (book from 1973 written by John Devaney)

Miami Ice - Winning The NHL Rat Race With The Florida Panthers (1997 book written by Dave Rosenbaum)

The Mad Men Of Hockey (written by Trent Frayne in 1978)

Brian McFarlane’s NHL Hockey (1983-1984 season preview book in the style/size of a magazine

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I bought that exact book - the same cover - from seventieslord a long time ago (2011? 2012? can't recall. Maybe earlier). I've read it cover to cover three times and countless times for all-time drafts in which I quotes excerpts for picks. It became a bit warped from all my beach trips with it and I ended up including it (kept The Red Machine though) in the 100+ books I left as a hockey history collection with a used book enthusiast who said all books he didn't sell during weekend coffee meetings at his English language teaching academy he'd donate to the local library someday on Jeju Island (the biggest island in South Korea, where he and I worked, I having left it for the mainland last spring, and lightened my load by giving him a bunch of books, skates, rollerblades and several NHL jerseys (kept the new Jets navy one and ol' Canada Olympic gold one).

BTW,... $2 ????? **** ... Its worth should be $20+ and climbing.

So you're saying there is (or will be) a massive collection of hockey books down on Jeju? I've been working just outside of Seoul the past 6 months, haven't gone down there, but that's funny to think of. Have gone to watch Anyang Halla play a few times (work right beside the arena, and some of their kids go to our school).

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
$2 is certainly a steal. I’m seeing the exact same mass market paperback edition listed as high as $225 online and the 1st edition as high as $400. No way it sells as high as what they are asking, IMO, but that’s the list price anyways. ...
That's what I call: "Amazon Pricing," which is how many on-line sellers do it these days. List prices are automatically adjusted upward as the # of in-stock copies (new, used, 1st editions) diminishes. You should just wait until they replenish their stock, then purchase at a reasonable price point. But I guess if they can get one unwitting buyer to purchase a $225 paperback, the seller can throw an office Christmas party on the profits.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I also picked up today:

The Bobby Orr Story (book from 1973 written by John Devaney)

Miami Ice - Winning The NHL Rat Race With The Florida Panthers (1997 book written by Dave Rosenbaum)

The Mad Men Of Hockey (written by Trent Frayne in 1978)

Brian McFarlane’s NHL Hockey (1983-1984 season preview book in the style/size of a magazine
That "Mad Men of Hockey" title looks like a good one. Biographical content on some well known names from a good spread of eras. I'll have to add that one to my wish list. Thanks.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Terrific book called Midnight Hockey: All About Beer, The Boys, and the Real Canadian Game written by Bill Gaston, released back in 2007 I believe. Quite the fun read.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Terrific book called Midnight Hockey: All About Beer, The Boys, and the Real Canadian Game written by Bill Gaston, released back in 2007 I believe. Quite the fun read.
Yeah, I had that book recommended to me by a rec league player. It was an enjoyable read & pretty well written, but I feel like it's a players' book more than a fans' book.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, I had that book recommended to me by a rec league player. It was an enjoyable read & pretty well written, but I feel like it's a players' book more than a fans' book.

Oh ya, very much so however for those who maybe didnt have the opportunity to play or different cultures its a fun & unique read as well, window into the sport, dynamics at play on & off the ice etc. Entertaining. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad