Hockey History Books

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
There's a great thread about hockey books out there already. It might be hard to find following the board "update". maybe a mod can find it ad merge with this one.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I know some here have posted about a Howie Morenz biography printed in the 1980s, Howie Morenz: Hockey’s First Superstar . Well, I recently found out that it was updated and reprinted last year: http://www.mitchelladvocate.com/201...f-book-with-updated-material-pleases-robinson. I also just got an email reply from the author, who said it can be purchased and shipped within Canada for $40. A little steep, yes, but I'm going to order a copy for myself, and if anyone else is interested I'll let him know in my reply that others want it. Of course if you are in the Stratford region, it may still be in local shops.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
There's a great thread about hockey books out there already. It might be hard to find following the board "update". maybe a mod can find it ad merge with this one.

Done.

BTW, the links in the Historical Resources and Source Material sticky have been fixed now, they should all work again.

Reactions: Killion

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
HOCKEY The Fastest Game on Earth. - Red Dutton , Funk & Wagnalls 1938
Much of its wisdom is amazingly still relevant today. Not many knew more hockey then Red in those days. He was a experienced defenseman and coach of the NY Americans before writing this book. There are many BW photos of the Amerks in action.

$_35.JPG

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Amazon delivered this today. Beautiful 300+ page hardcover. Cover price in Canada is $50 but I paid $40.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I just saw a very early mention in this combined thread of Lloyd Percival's "The Hockey Handbook." I came across a 5th edition 1970 copy of that seminal how-to manual in an antique/junk store this past summer. Having seen it referred to in several hockey books that I've read, I snapped it up for 5 bucks. I later thumbed through it, after deodorizing the old rural library copy in a sealed bag with baking soda; but since I'm 40+ years removed from playing the game, I sent it to the 11 year-old grandson of a fellow hockey fan. The kid devoured the content, and has been tweaking his roller hockey game with what he learned. Another generation of hockey lovers has been influenced by Mr. Percival.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If you are trying to find something outside of the usual hockey book subjects a couple books spring to mind:
'Architecture on Ice' (which only came out last year)
http://www.mqup.ca/architecture-on-ice-products-9780773548138.php

Also 'The Stick' by Dowbiggin
http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/2009/02/stick-by-bruce-dowbiggin.html
"Architecture on Ice" is at the top of my latest must-buy list, because I'm a hockey arena junkie. And Bruce Dowbiggin's "The Stick" is an excellent read - definitely in my Top 5 favorites - with a perspective on hockey unlike any other book I've read. I also read Dowbiggin's "Of Ice and Men: The Craft of Hockey" a couple of years back, which was an entertaining book.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have a new book coming out next week that I'm very excited about.

Golden Boys: The Top 50 Manitoba Hockey Players of All Time
Golden Boys |

BOOK TRAILER: www.vimeo.com/230860344

Very nice nabby.... nice to see your back & once again freely using hf HOH to advertise.... your quite welcome. ... no no I insist... dont mention it. :D ... oh.... and where can I purchase this book please?... you autograph?

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Very nice nabby.... nice to see your back & once again freely using hf HOH to advertise.... your quite welcome. ... no no I insist... dont mention it. :D ... oh.... and where can I purchase this book please?... you autograph?

I'm always here lurking... :)

It should be available in book stores within the next few weeks or online through Amazon and other outlets. The McNally Robinson in Winnipeg currently has a couple of copies in stock.

The book launch is November 22nd at 7pm at McNally Robinson and it will feature some NHL oldtimers like Ab McDonald signing copies of the book!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The book launch is November 22nd at 7pm at McNally Robinson and it will feature some NHL oldtimers like Ab McDonald signing copies of the book!

Awesome, & congratz again on your latest work.... Anything you'd like to share beyond whats on the trailer you linked above?.... Perhaps some interesting little known facts or anecdotes about whomever that you uncovered that you could share with us?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Today I received from Amazon:

We Did Everything But Win by George Grimm: A look at the rise and fall of the Rangers during the Emile Francis era from the mid-60s to the mid-70s.

The Toronto Maple Leafs: The Complete Oral History by Eric Zweig: Many think that oral history books write themselves, but it takes talent to put it all together in a cohesive entertaining read. Most of Zweig's work is top-notch, and I expect this to be the same.

I picked up Kelly Hrudey's book at the grocery store last week. I'm looking to get maybe three or four more books to keep me occupied for the winter, but haven't decided which ones yet. I wish Joe Pelletier's blog was still active. He always had good reviews of hockey books to help us decide which ones were worth spending money on.

I found this blog which reviews sports books, including some hockey ones: Sports Book Review Center

He gave the Dryden book a glowing 5-star review, but didn't seem very enthusiastic about the Gratton or Maruk bios.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He gave the Dryden book a glowing 5-star review, but didn't seem very enthusiastic about the Gratton or Maruk bios.

I was going to suggest the Dryden book, all great reviews..... Lance Hornby as well has a book that came out recently called Toronto & the Maple Leafs, A City & Its Team that looks interesting. Another tracing the history of the franchise with unique & interesting input from players, fans, former Gardens employee's.... even a Mortician who offers "Leafs Themed Funerals"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad