Hockey Hip-Hop & Rap? New Approach to Advertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
alright this is may sound a bit off the wall. but how about the nhl advertise in rap videos.

just follow me on this....

Hip hop apparel is largely based on sports teams, specifically basketball, baseball, and of course football. But i have yet to see a snoop or ludacris video where they're wearing hockey jerseys. I see the A's, Raiders, lakers but no sharks or rangers (and on a side note, the maple leafs might want to add a few more leaves to their logo, that might attract more people).

So i say lets have the NHL heads throw some money to have hip hop artists wear hockey jerseys in their videos, thats the best advertisement you can get. Just imagine people open up the inlay card of big boi's new album and bam! they see him wearing a thrashers jersey.

Lets face it the NHL's 'We Believe In Hockey' thing is mind numbingly Pejorative Slured, and all that sun tzu hockey warrior stuff....i mean come on! its pathetic. So why not use more subtle approaches to advertisement?

oh and by the way, from now on i think jaromir jagr should wear an 8 inch clock medallion around his neck and refer to himself as "Jaar-OOO Jaar", it sounds a lot cooler.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not like it's never happened. I've seen a Rangers (Lindros jersey), Penguins (Gin and Juice -- also a Spingfield Indians jersey), Flyers (a few times, don't remember which one) and Blues (only because Fred Brathwaite was in a Nelly video) in rap videos, and I'm sure someone can find a picture of Easy E in a Kings jersey circa 1991. I'm sure if you search long and hard you can find a Thrashers jersey in a Ludacris or someone from Atlanta video, even if it's on like MTV6.

You never see it though because how many African-Americans are hockey fans?

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Lil Jon was at the thrashers game on saturdays.

[IMAGE]http://www.atlantathrashers.com/Resources/News/liljon_041106_1.jpg[/IMAGE]

WHATTTT!

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
xzibit loves rocking his ranger jersey

even ludacris mentions the thrashers in is georgia song

'We some ATL thrashers
Scope your pumpkin and smasha
We'll come through your hood worse than a tsunami disaster
Don't know who they gonna get or who them robbers gonna hit
Thats why I keep my Georgia Tech in the state of... Georgia'

and its about time they get into rap, maybe more people will get into the game and start coming to some of the empty arenas in the states

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Kardi said:
'We some ATL thrashers

How about they learn some grammar?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Why such disdain over the Rap/Hip hop genre? I hate Rock and never hear it in the main stream anymore, does that matter? Hockey is still great...

Jaysfanatic*

Masao Kishin said:

Are you one of those people who refused to play GTA: San Andreas because the main character was black??

Anyways, Nelly always rocks STL Jerseys, and is constantly wearing a Blues Jersey.

Im a big fan of hip-hop, but realistically, most people in hockey like rock, heavy metal and the like, so it wouldn't really fly.

And hey if we really want to go all out with the hip-hop genre, maybe we can get Don Cherry to bust some more rhymes.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Devilsfanatic said:
Are you one of those people who refused to play GTA: San Andreas because the main character was black??

Anyways, Nelly always rocks STL Jerseys, and is constantly wearing a Blues Jersey.

Im a big fan of hip-hop, but realistically, most people in hockey like rock, heavy metal and the like, so it wouldn't really fly.

And hey if we really want to go all out with the hip-hop genre, maybe we can get Don Cherry to bust some more rhymes.

Don cherry hates anyone who isn't white (europeans included). He would never do it. Speaking of Grammar, can someone teach Don some grammar? You can tell by his speech that he didn't stay in School. All he does is over power people with his loud speech.

Jaysfanatic*

PortlandRanger said:
Don cherry hates anyone who isn't white (europeans included). He would never do it. Speaking of Grammar, can someone teach Don some grammar? You can tell by his speech that he didn't stay in School. All he does is over power people with his loud speech.

I guess you don't see how much he likes Iginla?

Anyways, in one of his rock em sock em's (I think 4) he bust out in a HORRIBLE rap.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
dumpnchase said:
alright this is may sound a bit off the wall. but how about the nhl advertise in rap videos.

just follow me on this....

Hip hop apparel is largely based on sports teams, specifically basketball, baseball, and of course football. But i have yet to see a snoop or ludacris video where they're wearing hockey jerseys. I see the A's, Raiders, lakers but no sharks or rangers (and on a side note, the maple leafs might want to add a few more leaves to their logo, that might attract more people).

A rapper wears a Jets jersey in an old school vid I saw. I wish I could remember who?

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Masao Kishin said:
how about you listen to the song.. and shame his grammar lacks but he is making millions, how much are you making per year?
and do any rock groups promote hockey? outside of the tragically hip (i think its them that make all the songs with the leafs) NO ONE

and btw rock music died in 94 get over it

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
'We some ATL thrashers

Cryptologists are hard at work here, I hope.

TVanek26*

go kim johnsson 514 said:
and Blues (only because Fred Brathwaite was in a Nelly video) in rap videos,

Welcome to Atlanta Remix........Braithwaite,Fernando Vina and I think someone else from a St.Louis team was in there.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Yea, the 99% white demographic of the sport would love that

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
I don't know, lots of white people like this sort of music. But I don't think embracing the music is going to help all that much. It's music. The NHL is a sport. Two different realms, in my opinion.

Kardi said:
even ludacris mentions the thrashers in is georgia song

'We some ATL thrashers

I didn't know Ludacris had a Georgia Tech...

Anyway, if the NHL decides to embrace this are we going to get something similar to what the US National Men's Soccer Team and Nike did? Because I don't think the NHL has done enough unintentionally hilarious things these days...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Teemu said:
Yea, the 99% white demographic of the sport would love that

Does that mean i'm the only black guy who like hockey? :shakehead

What a dumb comment...

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Kardi said:
how about you listen to the song.. and shame his grammar lacks but he is making millions, how much are you making per year?
and do any rock groups promote hockey? outside of the tragically hip (i think its them that make all the songs with the leafs) NO ONE

and btw rock music died in 94 get over it

Where did I say I was a fan of rock music? Because I'm not.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
417 TO MTL said:
Does that mean i'm the only black guy who like hockey? :shakehead

What a dumb comment...

are you trying to say that there are only 100 hockey fans?

What an equally dumb comment.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
One, I'm sure people in the NHL offices have already done some work in this. Product placement for any company is huge, and, the more jerseys that show up in pop-culture, the better it is for the NHL. It so happens, that the hip-hop culture has always been intertwined with sports jerseys, so, it makes sense to try and capitalize on this.

If someone like Lil Jon likes the Thrashers, then send him boxes of Kovalchuk jerseys. Get some product placement in his videos. Do some joint events if you can (i.e. charity street hockey tournaments).

You can have all the commercial spots, like what the NHL has done this year, and, it can result into very little return on investment when it comes to marketing your sport. If you happen to get catch on to a pop-culture phenomenon though, you could see major interest in the sport, even though you had very little to do with it (think about what the Wayne's World phenomenon did to the sport).

The popular book "The Tipping Point" has a great example of how a trend can arise that sees a company's sales grow exponentially, that the company has very little influence over. It's very early in the book, and focuses on the sales of Hush Puppies, and how they had a huge resurgence based on people starting to wear the shoes, second hand, in parts of New York. That lead to massive sales increases for the company, even though they had very little do with it.

Long story short, the NHL has to be very concious of how "cool" their sport appears to the general public.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Why dont we get rid of the ice, put in a floor, get rid of hockey nets, put in basketball hoops, get rid of the black puck for an orange ball too.

We all know what gets people to watch sports, showing Nelly in a blues jersey isnt going to do crap. Yes they can market the game better, but I dont see how hip-hop is gonna do anything.

I say there are two ways #1 market the passion of the game, and use the BLITZ METHOD. Hockey commercials constantly on every station, constantly, pour in craploads of money. Also, use the same tactic and make humourous commercials as well, humour always gets people.

They key is always still money and how much you expose the game. Theres barely any commercials on during primetime when people actually watch TV. Im telling ya, go all out so all that people see during the playoffs is tons of hockey commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad