Hockey Hip-Hop & Rap? New Approach to Advertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enstrom39

Apr 1, 2006
www.birdwatchersanonymous.com
PortlandRanger said:
Lil Jon was at the thrashers game on saturdays.

[IMAGE]http://www.atlantathrashers.com/Resources/News/liljon_041106_1.jpg[/IMAGE]

WHATTTT!

Actually Lil Jon and son have been at the last three home games. They put him up on the Jumbotron and he has a spread on the team website of him on the Stanley Cup.

Personally I'm not into rap and wouldn't know him if I passed him on the street. But I approve of the team and league reaching out to new fans.

Visit my blog: http://thrasherstalons.blogspot.com/

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I wouldn't complain if they started playing hip hop music at the games......just not during the game like in the NBA. Look what Tiger Woods has done for the world of golf. It isn't an elitest sport anymore, everyone is playing. The NHL should use some of its newly found money on promotions in suburban areas in the USA.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Toxostoma Rufum said:
2.) Lil Jon goes to Thrashers games, and his son plays hockey. The Thrashers let him do a promo with the Cup, and they recorded him doing a "Get Louder" promo for the jumbotron.
10.) I played pickup with Outkast on the PA. It was pretty cool.
I think that's pretty cool.
puckhead103 said:
this thread is stupid......
No, it's stoopid. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
<(-:{
I do not like rap/hip-hop in general. While there are songs I like to listen to, for the most part, rap does not interest me as much as other forms of music. I have mostly an ecelctic taste in music, otherwise (jazz, alternative, blues, thrash-metal, classical, etc).
But I don't think that football, basketball or baseball are popular because of the music they associate themselves with. They are popular with fans because the fans can relate to the sport in whatever capacity. I enjoy the speed and excitement of hockey, but I am largely a fan because the Devils were the first team to bring a championship to New Jersey. Were it not for the Devils, I might not pay attention to the sport at all.

If the NHL can grow support for their product through this sort of product placement, I don't see a problem with it. I think Madison Avenue in general gives the public much less credit than they're due: I don't drink Brand X cola because Doogie Houser drank it or use Acme Brand Earthquake Pills because Wile E Coyote used them. I base my purchaseing prefereneces on my own tastes. Same with my music, and the same with hockey.

GWhale*

I think rap is stupid also, and I think the game should be promoted, not the league. What other sport has so many fans that can't play the game? I can't think of any, there's way too many hockey fans that let alone can't even skate. Promote the sport, not just the millionaires who run the NHL.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
MannyRules said:
No, Me and 80% of my friends

I know that...look it was a sarcastic comment to someone who wrote something about the NHL having a 99% white demographic :shakehead

Someone posted it in this thread, but alot of hockey fans are way out of touch with society, and that's probably why the NHL hasn't generated the big bucks like the other sports. It's not about having hip hop and hockey mesh together, because i'm sure there are quite a few players in the NHL (and no, not just the black guys) who listen to and enjoy rap music, like anyother genre of music, there are many different layers to hip hop music, not just the 'bling bling' 'gangsta' image you see MTV showing in videos everyday.

Back to that, 99% white demograpic comment someone posted earlier, i'm black, I have quite a few black friends and we all watch hockey, and i'm sure it's like that throughout most of Canada and even in the United States.

FangFingers

Apr 6, 2005
The game sells itself.

Ive never met anyone, of any race, who didnt go to an NHL game and not enjoy themselves immensely. Especially if they're not in the nosebleed section.

The problem is, its not like baseball or football, where there are titanic stadiums, and depending on the fortunes of the team, tix can be had relatively cheap.

Nashville has one of the lowest ticket prices in the league, but to get any type of decent seat in the lower bowl, its $65 at least. Not bad, but if youre trying to get someone who's never been to an NHL game to go, its hard to convince them to spend that type of money for something they may not enjoy. You can get great seats to an NFL game for $40, a baseball game for $30, etc.

I dont get how the NHL, with the lowest salary cap and the lowest average salary, has to have the most expensive tickets.

I may have hijacked the thread, but I think thats at least as much a problem in attracting new fans (of all types) than promoting hip hop.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
417 TO MTL said:
I know that...look it was a sarcastic comment to someone who wrote something about the NHL having a 99% white demographic :shakehead

Someone posted it in this thread, but alot of hockey fans are way out of touch with society, and that's probably why the NHL hasn't generated the big bucks like the other sports. It's not about having hip hop and hockey mesh together, because i'm sure there are quite a few players in the NHL (and no, not just the black guys) who listen to and enjoy rap music, like anyother genre of music, there are many different layers to hip hop music, not just the 'bling bling' 'gangsta' image you see MTV showing in videos everyday.
Back to that, 99% white demograpic comment someone posted earlier, i'm black, I have quite a few black friends and we all watch hockey, and i'm sure it's like that throughout most of Canada and even in the United States.

You bring up good points, but alot of people don't know this, also, the NHL should market black players letting people know that blacks(and hispanics) play hockey. I get asked all the time "Do any black people play hockey", but then I counter attack with names and stats ;) .

Enstrom39

Apr 1, 2006
www.birdwatchersanonymous.com
FangFingers said:
And the Thrashers' 3rd jersey is an abomination - could they possibly jam any more different colors on that thing?

Pretty funny comment considering your team's third jersey looks like yellow barf.

I do agree about the game selling itself. When I lived in Washington D.C. I took a friend from Latin America to a Capitals game. He had watched the team on TV but once he saw it live he was hooked.

As far as using hip-hop, I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have, but if it changes people's perceptions it might result in more casual fans coming to games. I've heard black people that I know joke that hockey is for white people--which is wrong--hockey is for anyone who likes speed, scoring and saves. If having Lil Jon alters the perception that hockey is for white folks, I think that is a good thing for the team and league.

There is also a certain class of people who do whatever is "hot" or "cool" and those types might be likely to walk in the door. What will make them keep coming back is the game itself.

Visit my blog: http://thrasherstalons.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
GWhale said:
I think rap is stupid also, and I think the game should be promoted, not the league. What other sport has so many fans that can't play the game? I can't think of any, there's way too many hockey fans that let alone can't even skate. Promote the sport, not just the millionaires who run the NHL.

Ok, so with this in mind, I guess they shouldn't put a team in hartford since people in Mass know hockey and pretty much New York State does too. Promote the game in say... the North West (america). :sarcasm:

The Falconer said:
Pretty funny comment considering your team's third jersey looks like yellow barf.
:biglaugh:

FangFingers

Apr 6, 2005
The Falconer said:

Cant necessarily disagree.

Lets hope we never play each other with both teams using 3rd jerseys.

Id have to find the nearest sharp object and jam it into both eyeballs.

Or just turn on the radio.

HuMz

Jan 30, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Alain Racette said:
No, let's not go the way of the NBA and go with Hip-Hop/Rap. PLEASE. The NBA has image problems as it is; the NHL doesn't need their own. And besides, 99% of NHLers are white, so I don't think it would fly too well (not to mention the predominatly white demographic).

And I AM NOT racist. A strong grassroots program trumps any effort to endorse the NHL through rap. Dallas is a shining example of strong local, grassroots support and their program is one of the best of the US.

While 99% of player's are white, it's not about marketing to the player's it's about marketing to the fan's, and givin that young people hold the future, and majority of young people like or listen to rap/hip hop.......then it would be foolish to not be open to the idea.

It's great to play classic rock song's at the game because everyone in the baby boomer's generation can relate to it, but looking long term and who's going to be supporting the franchise's down the road, people are much rather gonna wanna hear what's they can relate too......not song's there parent's and grandparent's.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
dumpnchase said:
alright this is may sound a bit off the wall. but how about the nhl advertise in rap videos.

just follow me on this....

Hip hop apparel is largely based on sports teams, specifically basketball, baseball, and of course football. But i have yet to see a snoop or ludacris video where they're wearing hockey jerseys. I see the A's, Raiders, lakers but no sharks or rangers (and on a side note, the maple leafs might want to add a few more leaves to their logo, that might attract more people).

oh and by the way, from now on i think jaromir jagr should wear an 8 inch clock medallion around his neck and refer to himself as "Jaar-OOO Jaar", it sounds a lot cooler.

Jaar-OOO Jaar? How old are you?

You see rappers wearing jersey's all the time in their videos. I've seen a Ranger's jersey in at least 3 or 4 videos (a Jay-Z, Ashanti, G-Unit, for example). They are there, you're just not looking hard enough. The Kings are another popular team, especially on the West Coast (2pac, Snoop, Knoc'Turnal, and even Dre have have people in their vids with them on). Nelly has also used Brathwaite's jersey n one of his group's videos...can't remember the damn song though. Nelly is awful.

I'd like to see the NHL embrace the hip-hop community a little more than it currently does, because that is where the market appeal exists with the young audience the NHL desires. With that said, paying a few rappers to wear NHL jersey's isn't going to change much.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
how about having Little John in a commercial talking about how he likes hockey, and playing that during a primetime sporting event(other than a hockey game). I think thats where this guy was going with this, MARKET BLACK PLAYERS AND MAYBE BLACKS WILL START PLAYING AND WATCHING HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
MannyRules said:
how about having Little John in a commercial talking about how he likes hockey, and playing that during a primetime sporting event(other than a hockey game). I think thats where this guy was going with this, MARKET BLACK PLAYERS AND MAYBE BLACKS WILL START PLAYING AND WATCHING HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!.

It's not about the NHL marketing to blacks exclusively...I think it's about the NHL broadening their marketing to appeal to people of all different walks of life, not just the 'good ol hockey game' type fan they currently have.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
go kim johnsson 514 said:
It's not like it's never happened. I've seen a Rangers (Lindros jersey), Penguins (Gin and Juice -- also a Spingfield Indians jersey), Flyers (a few times, don't remember which one) and Blues (only because Fred Brathwaite was in a Nelly video) in rap videos, and I'm sure someone can find a picture of Easy E in a Kings jersey circa 1991. I'm sure if you search long and hard you can find a Thrashers jersey in a Ludacris or someone from Atlanta video, even if it's on like MTV6.

You never see it though because how many African-Americans are hockey fans?

Here are the ones I can think of:

Snoop Dogg-Pens jersey (he's a big Steeler fan btw)

Some guy from the St. Lunatics was actually wearing a Lemieux jersey BACKWARDS during an interview if you can believe that.

One Boyz II Men guy wore an Oilers jersey during a video.

I'm having a mental block now but there's a couple you may not remember or have seen.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
417 TO MTL said:
It's not about the NHL marketing to blacks exclusively...I think it's about the NHL broadening their marketing to appeal to people of all different walks of life, not just the 'good ol hockey game' type fan they currently have.
Did I say exclusively, No. Look, I was watching Sportscenter and they had a peice about diversity in Nascar, guess what commercial I saw a few days later, thats right, "Nascar Celebrating Black History Month", and the beauty of this advertisement, it wasn't during a race.

1datsyuk3*

dumpnchase said:
alright this is may sound a bit off the wall. but how about the nhl advertise in rap videos.

just follow me on this....

Hip hop apparel is largely based on sports teams, specifically basketball, baseball, and of course football. But i have yet to see a snoop or ludacris video where they're wearing hockey jerseys. I see the A's, Raiders, lakers but no sharks or rangers (and on a side note, the maple leafs might want to add a few more leaves to their logo, that might attract more people).

So i say lets have the NHL heads throw some money to have hip hop artists wear hockey jerseys in their videos, thats the best advertisement you can get. Just imagine people open up the inlay card of big boi's new album and bam! they see him wearing a thrashers jersey.

Lets face it the NHL's 'We Believe In Hockey' thing is mind numbingly Pejorative Slured, and all that sun tzu hockey warrior stuff....i mean come on! its pathetic. So why not use more subtle approaches to advertisement?

oh and by the way, from now on i think jaromir jagr should wear an 8 inch clock medallion around his neck and refer to himself as "Jaar-OOO Jaar", it sounds a lot cooler.

2Pac used to rock a red wings jersey a lot :yo:

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Crash said:
Anthony: You could fill the Staple Center with what you don't know.
Peter: The Kings are playing tonight.
Anthony: Man, I know you just pretend to like hockey to piss me off!
Anyways, hockey should be marketed anywhere it could gain exposure to the sport.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Everybody know who LeBron James is , people use his name in tracks and stuff . I don't think any rapper actually rap about how he's the rookie of the year like Ovechkin or how he 'shoot' like Jagr .

I don't see the NHL making any effort to be 'in' among rap music fans , mostly because of their image and the valorisation of guns , drugs and stuff like that .

About NHL jerseys a guy from Wu-Tang got the Red Habs jersey in the video 'Ice Cream' , i think it's Cappadonna .

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
I'm not a hip-hop fan, myself, but I like this idea of using hip-hop to sell hockey.

Like most Canadian men, hockey is a religion to me, so you really don't need to sell me on it. Hence, using hip-hop to sell hockey wouldn't bother me too much. I don't think the NHL should fear that it would alienate its core audience by trying this out.

An excellent point was made that the vast majority of hip-hop music is bought by suburban white kids. I think that these artists have a disproportionate effect on current fashion and language. So if the growth market for hockey listens to hip-hop music and listens to what rappers have to say, then bring it on.

You could certainly argue that non-whites aren't well-represented in the NHL, but I think this strategy could help with that. Although I hope it's not the case, perhaps some non-white kids in 'non-traditional' hockey markets aren't into hockey because they think its only for whites and don't see themselves represented enough in the sport. If a non-white kid finds his favourite rapper is into hockey, maybe he (or she) would be more inclined to look into it.

I'd give this idea some serious thought. It need not be the centrepiece of a marketing campaign, but maybe you could wedge it into a greater 'use-music-to-sell-hockey' campaign that you tailor by region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad