Hockey has the most action per game (of 5 major sports)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Ha ha. So if I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong. The players DO run memorized routes and (other than maybe the QB) are expected to have little to no minds of their own. The whole game is based around the coach's "playbook".

If hockey was played like football, the gameplay would stop after every completed pass and we'd go to commercial while each coach strategizes over what the players should do next.

I notice that you didn't answer the question.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
LOL. If I'm clueless, please explain why I'm clueless. Some QBs make on-field decisions, but someone like Tom Brady will have a lot more leeway than a rookie, and the coach still keeps an iron first over all the gameplay. And the QB is only one player.

Dude, there's not enough bandwidth in the universe to explain why you're clueless.

If you don't know, but you KNOW you don't know, we CAN help you.

If you don't know, and DONT KNOW you don't know, we CAN'T help you.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Dude, there's not enough bandwidth in the universe to explain why you're clueless.

If you don't know, but you KNOW you don't know, we CAN help you.

If you don't know, and DONT KNOW you don't know, we CAN'T help you.

Yawn. So again I'm clueless, but nobody can explain why.

Sounds like maybe the truth hurts?

The whole point of this thread is that football has the lowest amount of action of the major sports and I'm trying to say that it's because football is inherently kind of a non-sport.

Hell, even golf is more exciting to watch on TV than football, unless you like endless pickup truck commercials and endless footage of guys standing around waiting for chains to be moved.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes there's a gameplan but that doesn't mean there isn't athleticism involved in football. Coaches don't make bad reads throwing the ball, fumble the ball, burst through a hole created by the offensive line, make an interception or tackle. If it was all about being the smartest guy in the room than Billy B and Brady would win Super Bowls every year.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Yes there's a gameplan but that doesn't mean there isn't athleticism involved in football. Coaches don't make bad reads throwing the ball, fumble the ball, burst through a hole created by the offensive line, make an interception or tackle.

I'd agree with that. I see football as basically a chess match between the coaches, that has some track & field elements to it.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
In which the players are signaling which memorized play they'll use out of the coach's playbook ... don't think that changes my argument...

Okay, let's move on to coaching - if it's all coaching, then how come the best coaches don't always win?

How come "great" coaches can switch teams, and become "bad" coaches?

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Okay, let's move on to coaching - if it's all coaching, then how come the best coaches don't always win?

How come "great" coaches can switch teams, and become "bad" coaches?

Could be any number of factors -

They're not as good coaches as they think (or the other coaches have figured them out)
The players aren't fast/strong/healthy enough to carry out the game plans
The coach's staff aren't doing their jobs well
Dumb luck
etc...

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
In which the players are signaling which memorized play they'll use out of the coach's playbook ... don't think that changes my argument...

Ok, you've got us, the gig is up. The only reason Barry Sanders was one of the most exciting players ever in the non-sport of football is because he had a very creative coach who diagramed highly intricate routes for him to run, and Barry had an incredible memory so he could indeed memorize the routes.

http://youtu.be/tmxpANukJsU

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Ok, you've got us, the gig is up. The only reason Barry Sanders was one of the most exciting players ever in the non-sport of football is because he had a very creative coach who diagramed highly intricate routes for him to run, and Barry had an incredible memory so he could indeed memorize the routes.

http://youtu.be/tmxpANukJsU

Well, sort of. In order to get possession of the ball and show off those running & movement skills - the players first had to complete some memorized routes choreographed by the coach, it's true. :dunno:

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Well, sort of. In order to get possession of the ball and show off those running & movement skills - the players first had to complete some memorized routes choreographed by the coach, it's true. :dunno:

Glad we could come to an agreement. Now we can let other posters discuss their opinions. Thanks for your insite.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
So let me get this straight...Barry Sanders owes nearly all of his success to Wayne "Rasputin" Fontes?

4db26bb112d790b56fcaa934bad0b78808828b10.gif

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
I never said that individual football players don't demonstrate skill. What I am saying, is that each football play is basically a pre-choreographed, memorized "route". Therefore, it is questionable whether football should be considered a "sport" the same way that hockey is.

Whether someone like Barry Sanders found a very successful role within that framework is beside the point. And if his coach had hated him for some reason and refused to get him the ball, then yes he would have had less success.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I never said that individual football players don't demonstrate skill. What I am saying, is that each football play is basically a pre-choreographed, memorized "route". Therefore, it is questionable whether football should be considered a "sport" the same way that hockey is. Whether someone like Barry Sanders found a very successful role within that framework is beside the point.

You're the only one who appears to be questioning it.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
I never said that individual football players don't demonstrate skill. What I am saying, is that each football play is basically a pre-choreographed, memorized "route". Therefore, it is questionable whether football should be considered a "sport" the same way that hockey is.

Whether someone like Barry Sanders found a very successful role within that framework is beside the point. And if his coach had hated him for some reason and refused to get him the ball, then yes he would have had less success.

Even though I was a much better football player than a hockey player, and absolutely loved the game of football, I too prefer hockey.

Nobody is going to argue with you: everyone knows football is a lot of planning, plays , formations, and schemes on both sides of the ball, vs the very high degree of randomness that takes place in hockey.

Of course players have to know the plays.

But ultimately, the players have to execute. That's called "sport".

They have to be able to "sport" (execute) once the ball is snapped and all hell breaks lose into mass mayhem on the field, as some of the biggest, strongest, fastest, most athletic men on the face of the Earth try to impose their will on you.

How you seriously cannot see the sport in that is beyond me. You're either dramatically short sighted and ignorant, or a pretty relentless troll.

Last edited:

Tam O Shanter

I don't even consider football a "sport". It's more like a glorified war game between the two coaches. The players' job is basically to run memorized routes.

I think you've hyperbolized, but I know what you are getting at. It is all routes and patterns with immediate stops and 30 seconds to plan the next sequence. Of course all of the running and tackling, and even blocking once the line has been broken is adlib. But overall, compared to rugby, the artistry and individual flair, and also team communication is programmed and mechanical while lacking the beautiful flow of the padless game.

Tam O Shanter

By the way, I'm glad someone brought up Barry S. I used to tune in to Lions' games just to watch him. The greatest and most exciting, inventive runner that I've seen, and in this case it literally isn't even close. At the time he reminded me of Pavel Bure, actually - except he got so much ball due to his position and on a ****** team that he was able to really highlight his amazingness far more than Pav.

I was blown away by the power and speed of Lomu and Robinson. I used to love the recklessness and brutality of a Christian Okoye run - but no one comes close to Sanders. And nothing but class, too.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Fwiw, Vancouvers Team 1040 consitantly says that while the CFL is more exciting, the NFL is the best tv show ever produced. The NFL is absolutely perfect for television, hence the incredible revenues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad