connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Dan Alfredsson
Teemu Selanne
Mark Recchi
JC Tremblay

Builder

Viktor Tikhonov

I'd also like to put Zubov, but he may have to wait.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It wouldn't bother me, but it doesn't bother me that he stays out either.

But if I'm a betting man, I think he stays out. I think the omisson of a clearly deserving (based solely on talent and offensive output) player like Turgeon is a way for the committee to demonstrate "it's not all about stats".

that is true, there is probably not a lot of old boy love for turgeon.

still, after dino and then housley, it just feels like turgeon and andreychuk are on deck as guys we thought they closed the door on long ago finally and surprisingly getting in long after the initial chatter about their chances subsided.

otoh, there is always roenick too.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
that is true, there is probably not a lot of old boy love for turgeon.

still, after dino and then housley, it just feels like turgeon and andreychuk are on deck as guys we thought they closed the door on long ago finally and surprisingly getting in long after the initial chatter about their chances subsided.

otoh, there is always roenick too.

Turgeon is one of those guys who I think will start getting more traction as more old timers rotate off the committee and are replaced by guys who played with/against him that are less concerned over whether or not he was "soft" and that he didn't take part in a junior hockey brawl.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Turgeon is one of those guys who I think will start getting more traction as more old timers rotate off the committee and are replaced by guys who played with/against him that are less concerned over whether or not he was "soft" and that he didn't take part in a junior hockey brawl.

agree. i mean he basically had housley's career but at forward so i'd say it's only a matter of time.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Petr Nedved, Ray Whitney, Ryan Smyth, Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Todd Bertuzzi

Defense: Ed Jovanovski, Tomas Kaberle

Goaltenders: Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Nikolai Khabibulin, Tomas Vokoun

What about Murray Craven?

When we're at it?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For me it should be: Alfredsson, Tremblay, Selanne and Recchi. They may want Kariya and Selanne to go in together though.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Watched that video on NHL.com about eventuall inductees. Osgood and Andreychuk came up.

Similar to Housley I think both will eventually make it, even if it might take a decade or more.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Omissions..

.. and there are an awful lot of them, too many to list but in addition to the
excellent suggestions aforementioned above just off the top of my head;

Claude Provost
Rick Middleton
Kevin Lowe
Neal Broten
Claude Lemieux

Nedomansky
Hlinka
Krutov
V.Petrov
Vasiljev
Mikhalov

Don Cherry & Ron MacLean - Foster Hewitt Memorial Award

Would also like to see an "open & transparent" process which includes full criteria applied & voting records of each designate made public.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
.. and there are an awful lot of them, too many to list but in addition to the
excellent suggestions aforementioned above just off the top of my head;

Claude Provost
Rick Middleton
Kevin Lowe
Neal Broten
Claude Lemieux

Nedomansky
Hlinka
Krutov
V.Petrov
Vasiljev
Mikhalov

Don Cherry & Ron MacLean - Foster Hewitt Memorial Award

Would also like to see an "open & transparent" process which includes full criteria applied & voting records of each designate made public.

neal broten, that's not a name i think about much. but from that era, carbonneau is perhaps an ommission. and i think bobby smith belongs right up there with the other names you mentioned.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
neal broten, that's not a name i think about much. but from that era, carbonneau is perhaps an ommission. and i think bobby smith belongs right up there with the other names you mentioned.

Ya, Carbonneau & Smith. Kinda mind boggling the former isnt in there already however the HHOF to date doesnt seem to give defensive forwards nor defensive defenceman the kind of respect they deserve.... Broten meanwhile, he's like a Superhero, seriously revered by Minnesotans, American Hockey Fans, Hell, fans everywhere. He was the 1st US born & bred player to top 100Pts in the NHL; won the Hobey Baker, NCAA Championship, the Gold Medal at Lake Placid, indivisible ultimate North Star, Stanley Cup with New Jersey. Why he's been overlooked for so long no idea.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Ya, Carbonneau & Smith. Kinda mind boggling the former isnt in there already however the HHOF to date doesnt seem to give defensive forwards nor defensive defenceman the kind of respect they deserve.... Broten meanwhile, he's like a Superhero, seriously revered by Minnesotans, American Hockey Fans, Hell, fans everywhere. He was the 1st US born & bred player to top 100Pts in the NHL; won the Hobey Baker, NCAA Championship, the Gold Medal at Lake Placid, indivisible ultimate North Star, Stanley Cup with New Jersey. Why he's been overlooked for so long no idea.

broten had those few innury plagued down years at the end of the 80s, and joey mullen passed him in the US scoring race and never looked back.

i have a lot of admiration for mullen and always defend his induction but i think realistically there was one spot for the two of them and it was the first one to 1,000 gets it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
broten had those few innury plagued down years at the end of the 80s, and joey mullen passed him in the US scoring race and never looked back.

i have a lot of admiration for mullen and always defend his induction but i think realistically there was one spot for the two of them and it was the first one to 1,000 gets it.

Perhaps so, "just one spot"... but that however I think patently unfair.... Counting points, silverware... while important enough sure doesnt begin to address & acknowledge a whole range of other factors, most notably the intangibles which various players brought to the game. Broten I think more than deserves his place... another being Kevin Lowe... He was the calming factor back there during the Oilers salad days, absolutely 1st Class Defensive Defenceman. Just didnt have any gaudy numbers as that really wasnt his game & apparently the HHOF Induction Committee excludes, doesnt seem to think thats as important. Abrasive players as well, guys like Claude Lemieux. Hate him all you want, all he ever did was win. That boy could seriously play hockey, critical piece to team success. Ken "The Rat" Linesman another though not as successful as Lemieux in terms of Cups etc, I'd like to see guys like that inducted. Linesman of course never will, having taken the NHL to court & winning, and generally the HHOF simply doesnt like players who have dirty noses and why I dont know as that was for nearly 80yrs a big part of the game. It doesnt mean they had "character flaws", they'd simply say **** when their mouths were full of it as most of us would, instigate, play head games with people, get down n' dirty. Warriors. Mercenaries. Angels with Dirty Faces. Some of the best should be in there.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Perhaps so, "just one spot"... but that however I think patently unfair.... Counting points, silverware... while important enough sure doesnt begin to address & acknowledge a whole range of other factors, most notably the intangibles which various players brought to the game. Broten I think more than deserves his place... another being Kevin Lowe... He was the calming factor back there during the Oilers salad days, absolutely 1st Class Defensive Defenceman. Just didnt have any gaudy numbers as that really wasnt his game & apparently the HHOF Induction Committee excludes, doesnt seem to think thats as important. Abrasive players as well, guys like Claude Lemieux. Hate him all you want, all he ever did was win. That boy could seriously play hockey, critical piece to team success. Ken "The Rat" Linesman another though not as successful as Lemieux in terms of Cups etc, I'd like to see guys like that inducted. Linesman of course never will, having taken the NHL to court & winning, and generally the HHOF simply doesnt like players who have dirty noses and why I dont know as that was for nearly 80yrs a big part of the game. It doesnt mean they had "character flaws", they'd simply say **** when their mouths were full of it as most of us would, instigate, play head games with people, get down n' dirty. Warriors. Mercenaries. Angels with Dirty Faces. Some of the best should be in there.

Esa Tikkanen should be in before Claude Lemieux or Ken Linesman. Simply a better player. Better defensively, Selke Caliber. The best pest of his era. Debateably the best LWer in the NHL over several years. Probably the best "shadow" defender of his era. Likely the best ever at defending the Kings version of Gretzky. Took the Oilers in his back at times after the Gretzky trade. Even over Messier/Kurri for extended periods, even in the playoffs. Even after he left Edmonton he was very effective, even if he dropped off the radar of most people.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Esa Tikkanen should be in before Claude Lemieux or Ken Linesman.

Another great player & one of the greatest characters in the history of the game. To me its not "should be in before", its "should be in" period.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Good year to induce Pierre Turgeon before we can't anymore, imo.

Yes, Id certainly put his name forward as well yet its one we rarely if ever hear. He did live up to his billing & status as a #1 Pick, career points really pretty dazzling considering he never got the opportunity to play for a really decent team. Had he, like maybe a Detroit or Colorado, his induction an automatic... The two main knocks against him;

1) Sitting on the bench during the Punch Up in Piestany during the WJC...
2) Critics suggesting he was an "incomplete player" because of that (#1) along with defensive shortcomings...

However, look at who he played for?... and even then, when he was on the ice you werent going to be playing offence, you were going to be very worried about Pierre & playing a cautious game of Defence. This guy wracked up the points at a clip of something like 1.03 per game, better than a considerable number of others who youd never think twice about as being HHOF'rs.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The turgeon nonsense is very sad and indicative of the judge of the same people that thought concussions weren't a big deal until 10 years ago.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Good year to induce Pierre Turgeon before we can't anymore, imo.
We just had a guy inducted who was eligible 30 years ago, and I don't think we're getting over 4 deserving players eligible per year no matter what happens.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Any older (Pre 1960's) come to mind for any of you?

Humm...

The best pre-60ies players not in are probably Dave Kerr and Lorne Chabot (goalie), Flash Hollett and Jimmy Thomson (D-Men), Cecil Dillon, Paul Thompson, Pit Lepine and Johnny Gottselig (forwards). None of them probably absolutely HAVE to be in, and the youngest of them (Thomson) died 25 years ago. Kerr's comparables amongst more "recent" players are mostly kept out or recently eligible on whom I wouldn't bet on them getting in (think Tim Thomas, Miika Kiprusoff). The D-Men strike me as being better than some comparables who are in the HHOF, but that's mostly telling they were not great inductions to be being with.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yes, Id certainly put his name forward as well yet its one we rarely if ever hear. He did live up to his billing & status as a #1 Pick, career points really pretty dazzling considering he never got the opportunity to play for a really decent team. Had he, like maybe a Detroit or Colorado, his induction an automatic... The two main knocks against him;

1) Sitting on the bench during the Punch Up in Piestany during the WJC...
2) Critics suggesting he was an "incomplete player" because of that (#1) along with defensive shortcomings...

However, look at who he played for?... and even then, when he was on the ice you werent going to be playing offence, you were going to be very worried about Pierre & playing a cautious game of Defence. This guy wracked up the points at a clip of something like 1.03 per game, better than a considerable number of others who youd never think twice about as being HHOF'rs.

I really like Damphousse. I think the difference in offence between Turgeon and Damphousse is made up for with better defence and overall game. Like Turgeron he was often on bad or average teams. I would not object to either being in the HHOF.

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Another great player & one of the greatest characters in the history of the game.

If the HoF starts focusing more on the character/fame aspect, what about players like Bob Probert or Tiger Williams?

Should the establishment recognize hockey's rough and tumble past? Will they? Seems unlikely for at least the near future while the league is still moving toward a fight-free world, but maybe once that transformation is complete, and that version of the NHL is completely a thing of the past?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad