Hockey guy rips Broadcasting/youtube is future

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
His goal isn't to be a hockey broadcaster. I think he's looking to do what Steve Dangle has done which is making videos for Sportsnet. And even if he doesn't land a contract there, he could still make a good living covering sports like TYT sports.

At this point, more like the videos he did prior to Sportsnet. He knows this. I find Dangle's and THG's videos to be quite different.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I always thought he low-key likes the Ducks, but yeah he’s a Canucks/Bruins fan.

...and Stars

He doesn't like the Ducks, due to Kesler and the 'Nucks rivalry
Doesn't like the Habs, because his dad was a Habs fan (I don't know their relationship)

Despite this he says he watches all the teams, and any team he has hated, has been mollified

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I wish there was an option to watch a broadcast without commentary and just the ice sounds. There's nothing better than a clean slap shot or hearing a perfect tape-to-tape pass, let alone hearing all the chirps and communication on the ice.
I remember that they did that for the 2010 winter olympics. They streamed all the games for free but without commentary. It was great. They even still have them on youtube. Heres what its like if anyone is interested.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
At this point, more like the videos he did prior to Sportsnet. He knows this. I find Dangle's and THG's videos to be quite different.
Yeah, Steve Dangle's video have more emotion and had a different style compared to The Hockey Guy. But the main point is, if The Hockey Guy is able to grow to 100 k subscribers, then it would be foolish for a company not to look at him to make videos. One of the main reasons that Sportsnet hired Steve Dangle was that he already built up his own fan base so hiring him meant guaranteed views on his videos and articles.

Even though they make different styles of videos, The Hockey Guy can still use Steve Dangle's success to create success of his own. I know he doesn't watch any other YouTube channels, but I'm sure he's looking at what Steve Dangle is accomplishing - podcasts, writing his own book and hosting hockey events.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
When Sportsnet messes up and it's only crowd noise I love it. It's only a matter of time before people are finding their own commentators they want to listen to.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yeah, Steve Dangle's video have more emotion and had a different style compared to The Hockey Guy. But the main point is, if The Hockey Guy is able to grow to 100 k subscribers, then it would be foolish for a company not to look at him to make videos. One of the main reasons that Sportsnet hired Steve Dangle was that he already built up his own fan base so hiring him meant guaranteed views on his videos and articles.

Even though they make different styles of videos, The Hockey Guy can still use Steve Dangle's success to create success of his own. I know he doesn't watch any other YouTube channels, but I'm sure he's looking at what Steve Dangle is accomplishing - podcasts, writing his own book and hosting hockey events.

There is another big difference. Dangle is in Toronto, and that definitely helped him get in SN.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Which goes to show that some people are good, some people are bad at their job... not exactly earth shattering news.

Yes but most people in day jobs aren't hired on the basis that they used to do "X" and so they should be able to transition into "Y". I used to ride the bus, so the city transit hired me because I know the route. Doesn't mean I can drive a f***ing bus.....

Roenick is horrible; Colby Armstrong is also horrible. People who suck at their jobs usually went to school or have experience to get their job and if they suck, they eventually get phased out. There is also an element of sheltering at normal day jobs. You don't sit the worthless employee down in front of a client to go over the proposal, when you know he can't do his job effectively. You let him do the preliminary work, and then you double check his stuff. Then you keep him in the back room moving papers.

These clowns got hired because they were hockey players. Doesn't mean they should be put in front of a camera to be seen and heard by millions when they are obviously garbage at their jobs. When is Milbury going to get punted down the road, dude has been terrible for a decade.

How you people came up with the hot take that, "he's just mad he isn't a broadcaster", blows my mind. ALL he is doing is comparing what he does and his level of production to theirs. He is a guy doing videos on his own in his basement; these TV puppets are surrounded by teams of people in a billion dollar business and still can't get their shit together. The comparable is that if he can make his videos useful from a knowledge standpoint, then what is their excuse? In no way was he trying to leverage his image to get himself into their industry. That's a lazy assumption.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Future will be likely be a blend of youtube, twitch and netflix. Live, interactive, on demand, curated and personal.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'd love to be able to choose a mic'd up stream. They should put a mic on one player on each team, and then you just get to follow them through the game.

Swearing would be an issue, but I'd be fine watching with one minute of delay.
HBO??? :D

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I guess I may be late to this thread but man, I cannot stand THG.

I used to watch him when he had under 10,000 subs on YouTube but I feel like many of his videos/ideas are rip offs from threads that are on here. Granted whenever a new thread pops up on here with a trade board/ NHL talk, usually he’ll discuss it.

Reactions: Mathew Barzal

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I guess I may be late to this thread but man, I cannot stand THG.

I used to watch him when he had under 10,000 subs on YouTube but I feel like many of his videos/ideas are rip offs from threads that are on here. Granted whenever a new thread pops up on here with a trade board/ NHL talk, usually he’ll discuss it.

-Best video is the Generational talent vs Franchise player

-He says Crosby, Malkin, and Jagr are all Generational, the only 3 generational of this era besides maybe Mcdavid. And Ovi is a franchise player at best. And I agree with him.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Love the hockey guy, he's not over the top like dangle, he just presents his opinion and discusses it. Which i love

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
-Best video is the Generational talent vs Franchise player

-He says Crosby, Malkin, and Jagr are all Generational, the only 3 generational of this era besides maybe Mcdavid. And Ovi is a franchise player at best. And I agree with him.

It just seems like many of his videos are rip offs from threads on here (like I just said). Nothing against the guy, but I enjoy reading and understanding the different points of view rather than watching(?)/listening to a guy regurgitate the same thing

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
His videos are usually below HF average in terms of knowledge of the game. So, alarmingly bad. He will sit there and read a press release and think that's information you can't get elsewhere.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Man this guy is so spot on. This guy has an awesome youtube channel that has great previews/reviews and other hockey content. He is such a pure fellow. love this guy.

I was actually subbed to him before he had 5k subs but while he is very knowledgable in some areas he does tend to speak before researching. At one point he was saying why the CBJ would miss the playoffs because Atkinson was on a x game goaless streak but he had been out with a broken foot at the time and never bothered to research it even after multiple comments when he responded quite a bit to back then.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
IMO the problem with 90% of hockey analysts is that they are just taking the easy road on their analysis. They aren't developing insight on their own, they are just repeating narrative they've picked up elsewhere, or hockey clichés.

Their either very over worked or flat out lazy. I mean, when you look at how much work the typical PBP or Color guy puts into each game, I think it is disgraceful the level of preparation that most analysts come with.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Youtube's the future? lol

What if there's no one to broadcast the nhl, who this guy will rip in his youtube videos?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
His videos are usually below HF average in terms of knowledge of the game. So, alarmingly bad. He will sit there and read a press release and think that's information you can't get elsewhere.

I’ve had that vibe from him before, it’s like dude you either got the source from here or from NHL inside sources. We can all read the same thing lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad