Hockey guy rips Broadcasting/youtube is future

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
What's really nice is a guy finding a decent 2nd source of income (judging from his viewings and patreon support) doing what he really loves.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said he might be able to start working part-time soon as his revenue from his channel increases.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I don't mind his content.

Another general sports guy I really enjoy watching is UrinatingTree. He does some superb eviscerations of teams, including my own Oilers recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: araisarena

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’ve seen enough of his videos to know that he is equally as guilty of the things he was complaining about.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I really enjoy watching is UrinatingTree. He does some superb eviscerations of teams, including my own Oilers recently.

Urinating Tree is hilarious. You know you're good when people start quoting your videos left and right. But at the same time I'm impressed by his knowledge and ability to cover and lampoon such a wide range of teams.

"I just think Pekka Rinne is too good right now"
"The ****ing Penguins"

Last edited by a moderator:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I stopped at

“Would you say these things to the players faces”

Like no **** you wouldn’t but jeez this guy should check out European soccer broadcasts. The players get ripped on to a way worse degree.

There is probably no one who would enjoy watching european soccer players get ripped on than I, but if the trade off is that i have to watch european soccer to do so, you are gonna have to sweeten the pot. otherwise no deal.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I honestly can go without the commentary. Should be a mute button when I watch hockey on NHL network where I don't need to hear the commentary.
I wish there was an option to watch a broadcast without commentary and just the ice sounds. There's nothing better than a clean slap shot or hearing a perfect tape-to-tape pass, let alone hearing all the chirps and communication on the ice.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
If the argument is that "sports broadcasters are full of hot air most of the times" then I dare him to dissect all the other sports that are out there and compare it to how hockey is being broadcast.

Hockey/NHL actually has some high production values in comparison to other sports and more often than not it's entertainment first and I'm okay with that. If I want to learn about the "stats" I flip on my laptop/phone and look it up myself.

There is more to broadcasting than just relaying stats which MOST viewers actually don't care about.

Wrong facts in broadcasting happens in every sport. Move on, stop whining. He's still never going to be a broadcaster.
When I compare the NBC hockey crew to the basketball crew with Barkley on it i realize NBC just doesn't get it. The NBA guys are amazing. The NHL guys are duds.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I watch this guy's videos quite a lot. While no one's completely unbiased, he usually offers good, objective insights in his videos and discusses a wide variety of topics on his channel. It's a shame he does not discuss everything in even greater detail, but then again, he is just one man with a job and a family, so it's really not to be expected.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I've attempted to watch this guy's videos a few times. He makes me cringe though. I find it very painful to watch him. The way he speaks just irritates me.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
If the argument is that "sports broadcasters are full of hot air most of the times" then I dare him to dissect all the other sports that are out there and compare it to how hockey is being broadcast.

Hockey/NHL actually has some high production values in comparison to other sports and more often than not it's entertainment first and I'm okay with that. If I want to learn about the "stats" I flip on my laptop/phone and look it up myself.

There is more to broadcasting than just relaying stats which MOST viewers actually don't care about.

Wrong facts in broadcasting happens in every sport. Move on, stop whining. He's still never going to be a broadcaster.

"if everyone else is doing it, it's okay"

OldGreatWestern

Aug 27, 2008
The Hockey Guy is fantastic. He's the only YouTube channel I follow. Puts up content consistently. Non-biased. Knows his stuff.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think I came across one of his videos a while ago. Think it was for ranking something. He’s not bad. I like how much thought he puts into everything.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
He actually speaks about the x's and o's and doesn't spew cliches like most media personalities. That coupled with the fact he's a total nice guy who can't understand why women don't like him and he's the complete package.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I could not agree more.

National Broadcasts are often terrible cliche-riddled nonsense.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I wish there was an option to watch a broadcast without commentary and just the ice sounds. There's nothing better than a clean slap shot or hearing a perfect tape-to-tape pass, let alone hearing all the chirps and communication on the ice.

I'd love to be able to choose a mic'd up stream. They should put a mic on one player on each team, and then you just get to follow them through the game.

Swearing would be an issue, but I'd be fine watching with one minute of delay.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The urinating Tree is GOAT.

This guy has really good cadence, but hell if I can't get over him looking like Shoenice.

Half expected him to eat a tampon and down a bottle of moonshine watching this vid.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have the same frustrations towards the NBC analysts that The Hockey Guy does.

Why are they so terrible? They're quantitatively wrong on a regular basis. Their "analysis" is usually just regurgitated cliches that they've heard elsewhere. They never have any interesting insights or useful information.

People complain about Don Cherry, but at least he talks about the nuances of the game and has bold opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad