Advice: Hockey Fitness - Conditions Post #34

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Frank, I've been really curious about rowing, but I don't have a gym membership. It looks great though and I've heard good things about the Concept 2.

In the interest of money and space, I'm shopping for a ~$50 bike trainer so I can haul my bike in my basement and get some cardio a few times a week. But I did spot a $40 Airdyne and, while it would be big and heavy and a pain, those are fairly popular for that kind of work.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Frank, I've been really curious about rowing, but I don't have a gym membership. It looks great though and I've heard good things about the Concept 2.

Concept 2's are the gold standard, but really any ergonomic rower will do. Mine languishes in a basement with an uneven floor, but it might be time to bring it up and stake out a corner. I will lug that thing to every new apartment, even when I can't use it, because it's a working erg I got for $50 on Craigslist.

Definitely avoid the "rowing machines" that aren't ergs, i.e. the ones where you pull on handles attached to arms.

Thesensation19*

Funny fact here.
I have a pull up bar in my house, the portable door hanging ones. Pretty cool but after some decent use in 2 years you can see the bolts loosening.

Anyway.
I would do some pull ups and chin ups here and there. I try to max out on some sets between squats. Or ill devote some small time to max out reps and sets and a small system. Basically here and there, nothing crazy. I avoid them for some reason. A few but whatever.

So I was doing a full work out this time. I did 10 (did 6 in a row, stopped did 4- not the best at them). Strict too. I then did 8 (stopped at 5 then did 3). I then did 6 (stopped at 3 and then 2 and then 1 lol). I did 4 ( you know the drill) and then 2 and then 1

The last 2 sets, 1 rep and 2 reps I changed it up and I thought it was kinda funny and i love this part of a work out.

I wanted to do them weighted. But rather than put on my 25lb vest (couldnt find lol) or have my legs hold onto my 20lb weight (too lazy to go down to garage to bring up, was in the zone)

I instead applied my as much clothes as possible on. I believe i had shorts, sweat pants, socks, a undershirt, a t shirt, a sweater. After that I put on both of my pretty hefty blankets and put on some extra clothes on top of my shoulders. I then held onto the medicine ball with my legs and tried to do the pull ups.

It was a mess but I did it. 2 reps. Rest. Then 1.

I looked at the weight on my scale. My ball was exactly 10lbs. And I believe all the blankets and clothes added about 8-10lbs extra. So over 15lbs of extra weight.

Thought it was cool.

Anyway to reach my main point. I am starting to do more pull ups. As you all may now know from my redundant posts, I have switched from isolated routines SIIT/MIIT to a full body MIIT/HIIT and part of that includes more pull ups as of late. I def want to do more, dont do nearly as much as I want to or should.

But the other day I decided to finsih my work out with a set of 10 strict pull ups.
I typically have trouble doing 6 in a row pull ups after a work out chin to bar. This time I did 8 full chest to bar pull ups, rest and then 2.

Maybe nothing special to some of you but I contribute my new accomplishment to those weighted pull ups more than anything else. I mean, It wasnt that one day. Ive done that 1 or 2 more times.

There is really no reason (unless you dont have a pull up bar handy and get hit the gym everyday) why everyone does not do a set of pull ups at least 6x a week. A few sets before or after and your pretty good. Do as much as you can in a week.

Thesensation19*

I am going to follow my own advice and aim for some pull ups 6x a week as to oppose my TRYING to hit it 3x a week or whenever I see a bar lol.

I figure ill do something like this starting today:
Thursday- 30 Kipping Pull Ups for time. Basically aim for 30 no matter how long it takes but try my best
Friday- 10-8-6-4-2-1 (2 Dividends) Pull ups Strict.
Saturday- Weighted Pull ups. 5-4-3-2-1 (increasing weight probably start with 10lbs then try to finish with 50).
Sunday- Full 30 minutes of pull ups. Different styles. Wide sets, strict, kipp, weighted, L, whatever. Just work on it. Ill mix it in with a full hour of gymnastic work outs
Monday-Rest day of pull ups. Maybe ill do 10 in total to keep the blow flow going after 3 sick days of it
Tuesday- Weighted. A good weight like 30lbs for me and ill do like 10 sets of 1 rep. For weight. Meaning ill aim for a total weight at the end.
Wednesday- Rest Day and start over thursday

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
^ Is this thread "Hockey Fitness" or "TheSensation's Pointless Personal Workout Diary"?

Is there any advice or any relevant info there?

We're all impressed with your 165 lb bench max and 8 pull-ups... Now please quit jacking every single exercise thread in this forum.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Concept 2's are the gold standard, but really any ergonomic rower will do. Mine languishes in a basement with an uneven floor, but it might be time to bring it up and stake out a corner. I will lug that thing to every new apartment, even when I can't use it, because it's a working erg I got for $50 on Craigslist.

Definitely avoid the "rowing machines" that aren't ergs, i.e. the ones where you pull on handles attached to arms.
I had a Concept 2 but my back didnt allow me to use it much so I sold it.

They are much higher that the gold standard. Id go so far as to say dont bother with other machines.

The problem with rowers is they are a very small market and unlike bikes or treadmills there isnt a lot of choice.

Most of the erg rowers I have seen are still weak(mod edit). The concept 2 is about as natural of a feel as you can get and they are built like a tank. Plus they fold up/spearate so you can store them upright in an area with a footprint of about 2x2 feet.

They also use a very nice chain on the pull as opposed to nylon webbing which some companies use.

The PM display comes with a card that keep all your info on it and is usable in any other C2 machines which is great if you travel or go to a gym as well.

Personally id buy a 10 y.o. used C2 before id buy a new other brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thesensation19*

Not trying to impress any one here with numbers. This is suppose to be a community. I love this stuff, and I love hearing about all your routines and training too.

Its a hockey forum, about hockey fitness. All I am is discussing is my basic routine that maybe you can take from. I have taken plenty from here.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Fitness Posts and Videos

The following requests will make this thread easier to follow and beneficial to all.

Please limit the text to a basic fitness topic with specifice questions or advice.

Posters linking to a video must have the copyright either in part or in total or the fair use axiom must apply. Posters should appear in the video, voice over, etc.

The video must be relevant to the text by illustrating, explaining, enhancing the core message or topic of the post. A post about rehabbing an ankle injury by doing certain exercises may feature an appropriate ankle rehab or exercise video. A complete workout video or drifting into cardio workouts, etc would not be acceptable.

Thank you.

Canadiens1958

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I did pick up a bike trainer off Craigslist (CycleOps Magneto with the front wheel stand). Only $50 and looks almost new, so heck of a deal.

I did 10 minutes per day until yesterday (hockey game). So far it's really made my legs and butt sore but hasn't got much cardio yet.

I know there's a couple guys on my team who do triathlons and can skate for what seems like forever before they get tired. I'd love to get to that point. If I was in shape enough to keep my legs going, I've got the speed, hands and shot to play at a higher level (in beer league), but need the conditioning and endurance to do it for more than 4-5 shifts per game.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Shift Length

I did pick up a bike trainer off Craigslist (CycleOps Magneto with the front wheel stand). Only $50 and looks almost new, so heck of a deal.

I did 10 minutes per day until yesterday (hockey game). So far it's really made my legs and butt sore but hasn't got much cardio yet.

I know there's a couple guys on my team who do triathlons and can skate for what seems like forever before they get tired. I'd love to get to that point. If I was in shape enough to keep my legs going, I've got the speed, hands and shot to play at a higher level (in beer league), but need the conditioning and endurance to do it for more than 4-5 shifts per game.

Consider adjusting your shift length downward. The bike work will allow you to build from the lower baseline.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

You need to dedicate way more than 10 mins/day to that if you want to increase cardio. If you want to do long, steady-state cardio, I'd say 30-40 mins is more the range you're looking for. That'll get your long term endurance up. And if you want to build up your recovery ability between shifts, do some HIIT on the bike. For example -

5 mins warm up at a medium pace
Then for 5 to 10 minutes (depending how long you can go for) do -
20 seconds balls-to-the-wall 100% effort pedaling
40 seconds low intensity pedaling to recover
Another 5-10 mins at a low-medium pace to cool down

Thesensation19*

You need to dedicate way more than 10 mins/day to that if you want to increase cardio. If you want to do long, steady-state cardio, I'd say 30-40 mins is more the range you're looking for. That'll get your long term endurance up. And if you want to build up your recovery ability between shifts, do some HIIT on the bike. For example -

5 mins warm up at a medium pace
Then for 5 to 10 minutes (depending how long you can go for) do -
20 seconds balls-to-the-wall 100% effort pedaling
40 seconds low intensity pedaling to recover
Another 5-10 mins at a low-medium pace to cool down

Agreed about the conditioning.

The HIIT you refer to is typically called Tabata Training. Not only does it improve your recovery rate, it also has been proven to increase speed/strength depending what you are specifically doing. I mean, it will increase both but depending on your routine your speed or strength may show gains larger than the other. Conclusion of Tabata Training is that pushing your body to its limits and beyond for short period of time has shown better benefits and larger gains than doing medium intensity for a longer period of time.

The only alteration I have to the post above is that if you are using the same ideology in weight lifting or circuit training or anything really besides cardio training then you should have a longer warm up then 5 minutes. You should really get a good warm up and stretch before you do any work out especially HIIT

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Sled/Prowler Pushes.
If you don't have a sled or prowler, then just wrap a weight in a towel and push across a floor.
Brutal workout, but helps with explosive power and stamina.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Agreed about the conditioning.

The HIIT you refer to is typically called Tabata Training. Not only does it improve your recovery rate, it also has been proven to increase speed/strength depending what you are specifically doing. I mean, it will increase both but depending on your routine your speed or strength may show gains larger than the other. Conclusion of Tabata Training is that pushing your body to its limits and beyond for short period of time has shown better benefits and larger gains than doing medium intensity for a longer period of time.

The only alteration I have to the post above is that if you are using the same ideology in weight lifting or circuit training or anything really besides cardio training then you should have a longer warm up then 5 minutes. You should really get a good warm up and stretch before you do any work out especially HIIT

No, it isnt.

Wiki...

A HIIT session often consists of a warm up period of exercise, followed by three to ten repetitions of high intensity exercise, separated by medium intensity exercise for recovery, and ending with a period of cool down exercise. The high intensity exercise should be done at near maximum intensity. The medium exercise should be about 50% intensity. The number of repetitions and length of each depends on the exercise, but may be as little as three repetitions with just 20 seconds of intense exercise.

A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study by Professor Izumi Tabata et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters, uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles).

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Upping your endurance is going to require some long workouts that aren't HIIT. Sorry, that's just how it is. If it makes you feel better, endurance athletes get the same treatment from the other end-- their coaches throw speed work and hill repeats at them instead of those nice 90 minute runs they would rather be doing. The result is usually puking and lots of F-bombs at the start.

Good news: I was joking about that 90 minute run. You aren't training for marathons. You want to figure out how long you can keep a nice steady pace and increase it using intervals. Example: If the longest you can run at X min/mile is 15 minutes, try running 10 minutes, jogging 5, and then repeating. If you're feeling saucy, make it 12 run/3 jog, or 15 run/5 jog. 30-45 minutes of that 2-4 times a week and you'll be surprised at how soon you're just running the whole thing. Substitute skating/cycling/etc. as needed, as long as it's a consistent cardio activity, not a circuit or something like that.

It's also really good for losing weight. Once you get to a weight you're happy with and start to see some endurance gains, you can keep a good long run once a week and put the focus back on explosive power, strength, etc. Maybe throw in a few weeks of endurance training in between seasons?

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Upping your endurance is going to require some long workouts that aren't HIIT. Sorry, that's just how it is. If it makes you feel better, endurance athletes get the same treatment from the other end-- their coaches throw speed work and hill repeats at them instead of those nice 90 minute runs they would rather be doing. The result is usually puking and lots of F-bombs at the start.

Good news: I was joking about that 90 minute run. You aren't training for marathons. You want to figure out how long you can keep a nice steady pace and increase it using intervals. Example: If the longest you can run at X min/mile is 15 minutes, try running 10 minutes, jogging 5, and then repeating. If you're feeling saucy, make it 12 run/3 jog, or 15 run/5 jog. 30-45 minutes of that 2-4 times a week and you'll be surprised at how soon you're just running the whole thing. Substitute skating/cycling/etc. as needed, as long as it's a consistent cardio activity, not a circuit or something like that.

It's also really good for losing weight. Once you get to a weight you're happy with and start to see some endurance gains, you can keep a good long run once a week and put the focus back on explosive power, strength, etc. Maybe throw in a few weeks of endurance training in between seasons?

Very true.
HIIT or Tabata will increase your anaerobic endurance while running long distances will increase your aerobic intake.

It's why boxers do both. The road work allows them to go a full 10 or 12 rounds while sparring and HIIT/Tabata helps provide the gas to fight in spurts.

I'm a busy guy and have limited time in the gym, so I usually skip aerobic exercises and go right to the 5 to 7 minutes of HIIT.
Pushing a weight across a gym floor does that for me and I've seen really good results.
But if I had more time, I'd like to fit in more 2 to 3 mile runs in there.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Sled/Prowler Pushes.
If you don't have a sled or prowler, then just wrap a weight in a towel and push across a floor.
Brutal workout, but helps with explosive power and stamina.

Also, if you are a tiny bit handy and have some time, I came across a nice guide to build a sled:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/04/27/how-to-make-a-diy-prowler-sled/

These are great for workouts and are very popular with the pros for leg strength. You can push or pull these to work different groups of muscles on your way to Marty St. Louis legs!

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Also, if you are a tiny bit handy and have some time, I came across a nice guide to build a sled:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/04/27/how-to-make-a-diy-prowler-sled/

These are great for workouts and are very popular with the pros for leg strength. You can push or pull these to work different groups of muscles on your way to Marty St. Louis legs!

Fo sho!

When I first started doing pushes, man my legs throbbed. I could barely walk for 10 minutes afterward. But it's gotten better and I've really noticed a growth in my legs as well as a more explosive step.

My routine is pretty simple. There's a basketball court in my gym so I find a time when it's not being used.
Then I wrap a 45lb weight in a towel and push it across the floor. Then I rest for 40 seconds. Then go again.
I do that for 10 reps.
It only takes about 7min but man is it a killer workout.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I've been doing extra laps after coaching mini mites, as well as doing body weight squats, medicine ball deadlifts, and figuring out my new slide board. Trying to really get more conditioning than strength building.

I felt a lot more jump on the ice last week and was able to beat out the defenseman for four breakaways. But I'm still not losing the weight I want.

So I think I'll be upping the exercise even more and just trying to do some traditional cardio. I'd like to find a bike trainer that I can ride for 20-30 minutes every week day, and then on the weekends I'll have about 3-4 hours of ice time.

Oh, and cutting down the beer. That's probably the culprit in the weight loss. I'll have to cut back to maybe one or two nice microbrews per week.

What kind of slide board and how is that working out for you?

Rosen Plevneliev

Nov 24, 2013
Sofia, Bulgaria
This is my current routine AxBCxDx, (x=rest day), all my workouts include a general warm-up, a warm-up set for each exercise, a core workout, a cooldown, and stretching. Each workout takes me 45 minutes to an hour to complete

A is legs- I alternate between two routines
A1
Deadlifts- 5x5 (5 sets of my 5 rep max)
Leg Press- 5X10
Leg Extension- 5Xfailure, increasing weight by one interval each set
Calf Raises- 3xfailure

A2
Deadlifts- 5/3/1 (5 rep max, 3 rep max, 1 rep max)
Bulgarian squats- 5x8
Squats- 5x5
Calf Raises- 3xfailure

B- Chest and arms
Bench Press- 5x5
Pec Deck- 3X10
Chest Press- 5xfailure
Tricep Rope Pulldowns- 3x10
Dumbbell Curls- 3x10

C- Back and arms
Seated Rows- 5x5
Lat Pull Downs- 5x8