Hockey equivalent to Barcelona vs PSG

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean, there were two egregious dives that led to penalties. For all the 'waah dives' comments that soccer is unfairly subjected to, there's some merit in this one.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The aggregate dynamic makes this comeback very difficult to compare with any NHL game... Unless you can think of a game where a huge comeback was almost completed, only to have the opposition build that huge lead up again, then only to have another huge comeback which stands up for good.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Sweden-Finland in Helsinki , world championship semifinals 2003.

Best comeback i've seen. Down 1-5, to 6-5. In particular enjoy Forsberg's end to end equalizer. At the 6-5 goal by PJ Axelson, Mats Sundin's crazy eyed screaming you mf*er , you mf*er.

Hilariously for us swedes is the commentary for the last goal.

[crying pbp]It was impossible, it is impossible. First Salt lake city and now this. I think i give up. I'm quiting this, Jansson. Can't do this. Can't do this no more. Cant do this no more!

[stonefaced expert] It's no problem at all. I'll take over now.

Last edited:

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
As usual regarding Barca in the UCL, huge assist to the refs for 2 penalties and 10min extra time.

The first penalty was incredibly straightforward. Guy was cleanly beaten by neymar, just fell over right in the path of the attacker. Penalty every time.

The second one was shaky, but messis pass absolutely SKINNED marquinhos. In desperation he flailed out and caught suarez on the neck before pulling his arm back. Suarez took advantage. Thats a penalty that gets called more often than not and can be avoided by not getting skinned by the pass or not flailing about once you are.

Many ref decisions went against barca this game. It was a display of historic remarkable skill and tenacity by the greatest club team in history.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Bruins comeback in game 7 was incredible, but nothing compares to Barcelona's comeback today. PSG won the first leg 4-0 at home, and with the away goals rule, Barcelona couldn't afford to concede more than one goal to PSG to have a realistic shot at a comeback. They kept PSG to one goal by Cavani, they turned away many great scoring chances and then they went from 3-1 to 6-1 in just 7 minutes. One of the best comebacks of all-time, only rivalled by the Patriots' comeback in the Superbowl this year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Impossible to compare because in the NHL the playoffs are a best of 7 situation instead of 2 legs with aggregate and away goals being factors.

But speaking generally this is probably the closest:

Flyers trailing Boston 0-3 in games, and 0-3 in game 7.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
The Bruins comeback in game 7 was incredible, but nothing compares to Barcelona's comeback today. PSG won the first leg 4-0 at home, and with the away goals rule, Barcelona couldn't afford to concede more than one goal to PSG to have a realistic shot at a comeback. They kept PSG to one goal by Cavani, they turned away many great scoring chances and then they went from 3-1 to 6-1 in just 7 minutes. One of the best comebacks of all-time, only rivalled by the Patriots' comeback in the Superbowl this year.

Funny dynamic was how di maria was the mvp of the first leg, didnt even start in the second, and then when he came on late he promptly flubbed a 2 on goalie situation and then fouled neymar for the 4-1 free kick goal

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Funny dynamic was how di maria was the mvp of the first leg, didnt even start in the second, and then when he came on late he promptly flubbed a 2 on goalie situation and then fouled neymar for the 4-1 free kick goal

PSG was overconfident going into this game, there was very little urgency from Cavani and Di Maria. They should've gone for the kill in the first minutes of the game, instead Barça went up 1-0 just after kickoff. 3-0 early in the second half with an own goal by Kurzawa, I was getting worried until Cavani scored. Then, all hell broke loose.

We may never see a game like that again in the next decade +.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
You must be new to hockey. Penalties have ruined many NHL games, including playoff ones.

How many soccer games have an outcome of a late penalty kick due to diving per season? I know in the EPL the answer would be maybe one, if even that?

Always fun to talk soccer with American/canadians, especially on an ice hockey board. You guys seriously compare PENALTY KICKS to regular minor penalties and offsides.

Fun link I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_kick_(association_football)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Always fun to talk soccer with American/canadians, especially on an ice hockey board. You guys seriously compare PENALTY KICKS to regular minor penalties and offsides.

Fun link I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_kick_(association_football)

I'm not talking about minors here, I'm talking about reffing non-calls or bad calls that lead specifically to goals in playoff games (I'm pretty sure I don't need to name the obvious ones here).

Seriously though, how often have those kind of late penalty kicks been called though? That was a legitimate question...you've pulled out some stats, now why don't you swoon us all with your knowledge and actually stop ignoring the question?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
The first penalty was incredibly straightforward. Guy was cleanly beaten by neymar, just fell over right in the path of the attacker. Penalty every time.

The second one was shaky, but messis pass absolutely SKINNED marquinhos. In desperation he flailed out and caught suarez on the neck before pulling his arm back. Suarez took advantage. Thats a penalty that gets called more often than not and can be avoided by not getting skinned by the pass or not flailing about once you are.

Many ref decisions went against barca this game. It was a display of historic remarkable skill and tenacity by the greatest club team in history.

Lol, right.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There is no equivalent because Hockey does not do a 2 leg aggregate score style system. PSG choked massively, considering they didn't even have to play to win, just not get slaughtered.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Toronto losing a game 7 of a series that they were winning 3-1 going into the third period, and had a 3-1 series lead originally?
What?

The correct answer is Game 7 of the 2010 ESF between Philadelphia and Boston. But that's as close as you can get as I don't think the aggregate scoring from the very early days of the Stanley Cup Final had a swing as bad as PSG/Barca did.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Something tells me we'll see one in this year's playoffs

Warriors blew 3-1 lead
Cleveland blew 3-1 lead
Atlanta blew 28-3 lead
PSG blew 4-0 lead

Vimpelin Voima

Dec 1, 2016
Stockholm
Sweden-Finland in Helsinki , world championship semifinals 2003.

Best comeback i've seen. Down 1-5, to 6-5. In particular enjoy Forsberg's end to end equalizer. At the 6-5 goal by PJ Axelson, Mats Sundin's crazy eyed screaming you mf*er , you mf*er.

Hilariously for us swedes is the commentary for the last goal.

[crying pbp]It was impossible, it is impossible. First Salt lake city and now this. I think i give up. I'm quiting this, Jansson. Can't do this. Can't do this no more. Cant do this no more!

[stonefaced expert] It's no problem at all. I'll take over now.

I still want to destroy something when someone speaks of this game. It is a moment hard to forget. :shakehead

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Football (or as you call it; soccer) sucks, look at that diving by Suarez that led to the second (!) penalty shot late in the game.

Brad Marchand's continuous diving against the Capitals in the 2012 playoffs is comparable to anything I've seen in soccer, and I've seen a lot.

Kesler's duck roll dive against Mike Richards in the same playoffs is another flagrant example.

You don't have to bash other sports to feel better about yourself as a hockey fan.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
sorry bruins fans -1970-71 --orr and esposito & boston juggernaut/ defending cup champs blow 5-1 lead late in game 2 of opening round series vs montreal. widely considered one of the greatest comebacks in playoff history. montreal would win series 3 games to 2.

Brethers

Jun 30, 2013
Ipswich, UK

Then let's compare it to when a player dives, gets a PP then their team scores? Cause it's the same thing then, more or less. There are divers and cheats in every sport, can we stop using football as this beacon of cheatery when it happens everywhere. I hate it, nothing rules me up more when I'm playing than someone trying to win a pen against me by diving. But it's a problem everywhere not just football. That first pen for Barca, clear penalty. He may not have meant to but he essentially rugby tackles neymar. Was the contact exaggerated? Possibly, but it was there. The second one is a dive imo, but you can't give a player like Suarez a reason to go down. Keep your hands down there Marquinhos and he has no dove to make. Suarez is a fantastic player I wish he'd stop being a cheat, makes it hard to really like him

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
When the Sharks blew a 3-0 lead on the Kings. The Sharks were a good team (PSG) and got the leg up on a better team (Kings/Barca) but then couldn't handle the pressure and blew it.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Something tells me we'll see one in this year's playoffs

Warriors blew 3-1 lead
Cleveland blew 3-1 lead
Atlanta blew 28-3 lead
PSG blew 4-0 lead

All those teams are hipsters. The Rangers made 3-1 comebacks popular before anyone even knew it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad