Hockey equivalent to Barcelona vs PSG

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Miracle on Manchester comes to mind. Oilers up 5-0 in the final game of the series going into the third and lose 6-5.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Can't really give a fair comparison because of how unique the setup of the UCL playoff format is, and how different it is than a 7 game playoff series or just one playoff game.

At one point in the 2nd half it was 3-0, and if Barca scored next the entire matchup would be tied....while at the same time if PSG scored next Barca would essentially be down 3 goals. That's INSANE.

PSG ended up scoring, and what is even more mind boggling is that Barca waited till the 88th minute to get their 3 goal spree underway. Unfathomable.

I can't think of anything in NHL playoff format that would compare.

This was truly one of the most incredible comebacks in sports history.

Right up there with the greatest NHL/hockey comebacks ever. But not really comparable in style IMO because of the unique set of circumstances surrounding the game today.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Sweden-Finland 6-5 2003.

Football (or as you call it; soccer) sucks, look at that diving by Suarez that led to the second (!) penalty shot late in the game.

NHL comparable should be one of the few series in the playoffs that was 0-3 and won.

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
2014-2015 Ottawa Senators season where they had 1% chance to make the playoffs in mid february and then made the playoffs

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Sweden-Finland 6-5 2003.

Football (or as you call it; soccer) sucks, look at that diving by Suarez that led to the second (!) penalty shot late in the game.

NHL comparable should be one of the few series in the playoffs that was 0-3 and won.

Yeah because questionable penalty calls dont ever happen in the nhl. Or offsides reviews that are clear still dont get corrected. The whole #mysportisbetter trope is always so tired and not the point of this thread.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This was truly one of the most incredible comebacks in sports history.
This times 10000000x

I watched this game today in a packed sports bar that time suddenly stopped in when Barca went on their run.

Grown men crying tears of happiness, everybody high giving each other. It was an epic moment and I am glad to say I was hungry in the after noon today for a solid beef sandwich

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
As usual regarding Barca in the UCL, huge assist to the refs for 2 penalties and 10min extra time.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Toronto losing a game 7 of a series in OT that they were winning 3-1 going into the third period.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Well, first off it needs to be an elimination game, because the winner moves on/loser goes home is the whole joy of this situation really (if it was the first leg it would've just been a hilarious blowout).

The away goals rule is tough to focus on here, as is the nature of the two legged playoff in the first place, so I'll just focus on the ending. Team at home needs three late goals to win. Team at home scores three late goals to win. And hey, its the quarterfinals of their respective tournaments as well. And thus, we get ol' dependable:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
There was a game years back that went to triple OT in the playoffs, and the teams had to order fruit trays at the intermission to fuel themselves.

Given the orange slices involved, that was most like soccer.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Bruins 3rd period comeback against the Make Believes. The YouTube clips of the Toronto fans watching that epic collapse will echo into eternity.

Edit: got beat to it!

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Yeah because questionable penalty calls dont ever happen in the nhl. Or offsides reviews that are clear still dont get corrected. The whole #mysportisbetter trope is always so tired and not the point of this thread.

You don't watch a lot of football (soccer), do you? Because you just compared penalty shots (with a 80% convert rate, ish) to offside calls. Nice contribution to the thread btw.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sweden-Finland 6-5 2003.

You must be new to hockey. Penalties have ruined many NHL games, including playoff ones.

How many soccer games have an outcome of a late penalty kick due to diving per season? I know in the EPL the answer would be maybe one, if even that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad