Hockey Central - Anthony Stewart is a beauty

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Stewart is the worst part of the show. He spends half the time talking about his own career, which no one cares about. the show was much better before they got rid of Kypreos and McLean.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Stewart is the worst part of the show. He spends half the time talking about his own career, which no one cares about. the show was much better before they got rid of Kypreos and McLean.

Kipper and MacLean were horrible.

Stewart and Bourne are so much better as their replacements.

Reactions: BrokenFace

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Kipper and MacLean were horrible.

Stewart and Bourne are so much better as their replacements.
Bourne has gotten better. In the beginning I feel like he was too guarded about going against the Leafs....largely due his background with them and Dubas. Now, I feel like he is expressing his true feelings on things.

As far as Stewy goes, he too has gotten better. I think he was nervous when it first started not wanting to make "mistakes". Now, his personality is more out there. And with his brother being in the minors, he no longer goes on and on about him....but still brings him up at times.

Personally, I like the blend of the 2 of them but when Burke is there, it ups the show. Having that grizzled older guy with more life and hockey experience adds to the show...wish it was 2 times a week not just 1.

Kipper and MacLean were too similar imo. Having one of them would have been fine, but when both on they just became too much.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I enjoy the show. I don’t listen to get deep insight into the game. I listen to hear about what’s happening in hockey because I can’t watch every game. They do a fine job at summing it all up, with an obvious slant toward Toronto, and keep it relatively lighthearted and fun. If you are looking for more than that you should try a different show I guess. As far as the current guys I think they are fine and seem to enjoy each other, which is important given that the show is basically a morning drive type show although obviously on later. Idk, I feel like most people won’t ever be satisfied and just want to complain. The show is fine for what it is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bourne has gotten better. In the beginning I feel like he was too guarded about going against the Leafs....largely due his background with them and Dubas. Now, I feel like he is expressing his true feelings on things.

As far as Stewy goes, he too has gotten better. I think he was nervous when it first started not wanting to make "mistakes". Now, his personality is more out there. And with his brother being in the minors, he no longer goes on and on about him....but still brings him up at times.

Personally, I like the blend of the 2 of them but when Burke is there, it ups the show. Having that grizzled older guy with more life and hockey experience adds to the show...wish it was 2 times a week not just 1.

Kipper and MacLean were too similar imo. Having one of them would have been fine, but when both on they just became too much.

Shout out to Bourne’s old man.

Bobby Bourne. Born in Kindersley, Saskatchewan. Islanders dynasty legend.

Product of the heartland of hockey in Western Canada.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I used to watch HC all the time. Now I rarely watch it because Anthony Stewart is as bland as white bread. He puts me to sleep. Sportsnet made a huge mistake firing Nick Kypreos. Doug McLean was meh but I definitely enjoyed listening to Kipper. He has/had personality... unlike Stewy.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My opinion hasnt changed from October.

His opinions are either pure hot take, or the most cliche of hockey cliche.

He doesnt evolve his opinion, and he ignores relevent factors and pushes whatever the overall media narrative is about said topic regardless of how wrong it is.

He offers nothing that Kypreos didnt offer, but is likely doing it a cheaper cost for Sportsnet.

Quote myself here to give some examples from todays show. I question if he even watched the game.

- Blames Campbell for last nights loss. Says "Freddy would have had those" (or something very simliar to that). Has he payed attention for the last month? Andersen has been a tire fire and Campbell was 4-0-1 since the trade here. Regardless, blaming the goalie for last night is absurd.

- Says "moral victories dont matter this time of year. All that matters is two points". Hes right. Would he give them credit if they got badly outplayed but won? I doubt it.

-Somehow complains about the goals they did score, then goes on to say that they score too many pretty goals and goes off on a rant about how that doesnt win hockey games. The Leafs LITERALLY score more goals then anyone else in the league. They score in every way. Pretty. Ugly. they score goals.

So, again: he pushes media narratives. He just gives hot takes, or cliches.

David Amber ran circles around him today, as the host of the show. The host of the show should not be running circles around the analyst. Amber had well thought out arguments and analysis, so credit to him.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Diversity hire.

I dont like him, but I disagree with that. Hes got a good voice for radio and can be engaging. He talks quite naturally and sounds far better then most former players on the radio. The problem is he doesnt offer anything other then cliche in almost every circumstance.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I dont like him, but I disagree with that. Hes got a good voice for radio and can be engaging. He talks quite naturally and sounds far better then most former players on the radio. The problem is he doesnt offer anything other then cliche in almost every circumstance.

Oh come on, is that your Muskoka chair opinion or what?

I think him living outside the “Bubble” is the bigger issue.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I like his smoothness and easy going way but I'd need more time to really form an opinion on him.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
he comes across a bit like a guy with no special knowledge or insight into anything... but he speaks well I guess

maybe in a few years he will develop a personality?

although kypereos developed a personality after a few years and that made him a lot worst... it doesnt always help

with such a cushy job up for grabs im shocked that they couldnt hire someone better and let stewart be a support fillin guy for a few years?

too bad marc Savard wanted the coaching job this year... I liked him a lot last year in his limited role but its really really really a shame that doug mclean didnt stick around... him... stellick and john Shannon... would like to see more of chris Johnson and Elliot friedman...

theres some talent at Rodgers to do a good show but stewart isnt at the top of the list

Agreed. I find him behind bland with no insight on anything and he does talk about his brother way too much. Sad because Leafs Lunch is just mildly more appealing and I just count the hours until Overdrive is on to listen to. Anthony Stewart and his zzzzzz personality is the reason I switched to TSN and he has a face for radio.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Its actually funny, because the only reason @snipes likes Stewart is because he is on the Oilers propaganda train.

Actually,

I’ve liked Stewy long before his Oilers love.

Learn his backstory before you judge my favourable endorsement of his character and opinions. When you see him giving back, you see a shining example of “Plato’s cave” in practice. He’s come back to the cave to help those that followed him see the light and potential in themselves.

I’m familiar with his story, and the love that privileged Anglo-Canadian and Franco-Canadian upper middle class families showed to the Stewart family when he was growing up. It took a community to help raise him and support him becoming a pro hockey player. Anyways, that’s probably long drawn out but as someone who volunteers helping new Canadians play hockey, he’s an example to show what sports can do.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Agreed. I find him behind bland with no insight on anything and he does talk about his brother way too much. Sad because Leafs Lunch is just mildly more appealing and I just count the hours until Overdrive is on to listen to. Anthony Stewart and his zzzzzz personality is the reason I switched to TSN and he has a face for radio.

He's got some natural talent but he needs to be confident enoguh to put his real opinions out there. I think he could be real good in a few years. Underrated sense of humor too.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I think he's awful and devoid of strong insight. Anthony just repeats the same things over and over, also any off the cuff banter seems to fly right over his head. He isn't engaging at all and the podcast has taken an absolute nosedive for me.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
My opinion hasnt changed from October.

His opinions are either pure hot take, or the most cliche of hockey cliche.

He doesnt evolve his opinion, and he ignores relevent factors and pushes whatever the overall media narrative is about said topic regardless of how wrong it is.

He offers nothing that Kypreos didnt offer, but is likely doing it a cheaper cost for Sportsnet.
I couldn't have said it better myself, he is literally this and when asked to delve deeper into what he says he just says the same thing in a slightly different way.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad