Hockey Cards - Part III

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Some stuff I've bought recently. Not high end, but fills my collection for Rheaume and Roy

Attachments

• 20210409_191713.jpg
    20210409_191713.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: The Kingslayer

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
I was a pretty big hockey card collector in my younger days (early 1990s - early-mid 2000s) and have recently pulled the collection back out of the closet (great for reliving memories!). Problem is, I have no idea how to evaluate my collection. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for figuring out what my collection is worth or even just for understanding value and the market in general.

Figure I have somewhere between 5-10k cards, no complete sets but some that I would think are of value.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
oh, it's a sellers market. so ask for twice what you think you can get. you might be surprised, lol. (this coming from the dealer...he said he can't get enough stock)

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Was scouring eBay yesterday, and I found a lot of people are selling boxes of 1991-92 OPC Premier, and it's starting to rise in value a bit. This is of course the year after the set featuring Jagr, Hasek, et al rookies, and from what I can gather there's no major rookies in there (I see some claiming Lidstrom, but I thought his was the 1991-92 Upper Deck only?). Am I missing something here, or is this set got something worthwhile? Curious because for whatever reason I opened a bunch as a kid, and have a lot of the cards still around, want to know if I should start digging through them.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Was scouring eBay yesterday, and I found a lot of people are selling boxes of 1991-92 OPC Premier, and it's starting to rise in value a bit. This is of course the year after the set featuring Jagr, Hasek, et al rookies, and from what I can gather there's no major rookies in there (I see some claiming Lidstrom, but I thought his was the 1991-92 Upper Deck only?). Am I missing something here, or is this set got something worthwhile? Curious because for whatever reason I opened a bunch as a kid, and have a lot of the cards still around, want to know if I should start digging through them.
It doesn't, its just the heard mentality of collectors I feel. That set has next to nothing if value and was mass produced unlike the original set

Reactions: kaiser matias

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Actually I just last week opened six boxes of this. It has a Lidstrom RC and another rookie year card (Detroit O6 card. It also has Leclair and Amontw RCs. It also has 2nd year Jagr and rookie year cards of guys like Bure and Niedermayer.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How do you make a wishlist in epack? I see where you click but it doesn't open anything.

Go to the marketplace and find cards you want and click the little "heart" button to the bottom left side of them. Should turn orange when you do. Then they'll show up under that wishlist tab

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Go to the marketplace and find cards you want and click the little "heart" button to the bottom left side of them. Should turn orange when you do. Then they'll show up under that wishlist tab
Ah thanks! Will try that. Assumed when I clicked the "add to wishlist" it would let me select a set and click the ones I was after. New to this. Just playing with the free ones so far.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Last week was a reported sale of a 2nd year OPC Gretzky 80-81, PSA 9 for about $4750. PWCC has a PSA 9 79-80 OPC Gretzky for $475,000.
That’s insane, the 2nd year card is 1% the price of the first year card. IMO most Gretzky cards are way underpriced: he should be the Jordan of hockey.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Last week was a reported sale of a 2nd year OPC Gretzky 80-81, PSA 9 for about $4750. PWCC has a PSA 9 79-80 OPC Gretzky for $475,000.
That’s insane, the 2nd year card is 1% the price of the first year card. IMO most Gretzky cards are way underpriced: he should be the Jordan of hockey.

Yeah I am surprised his other cards don't carry more value. Part of me would like to grade all my Gretzky Oiler cards but at current costs might not be wise.

I saw a guy recently who actually had that very lot of cards for sale and his were all graded and it wasn't generating much interest or dollars.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Another epack question, if you decide to try to buy a box or pack, it asks you for your shipping address. I assume that's just if youu decide to have it shipped? My understanding is you buy and open digitally? Just wanted to make sure if I purchase something it doesn't mail it to me unless I request that (as there are obviously shipping fees if you do).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Another epack question, if you decide to try to buy a box or pack, it asks you for your shipping address. I assume that's just if youu decide to have it shipped? My understanding is you buy and open digitally? Just wanted to make sure if I purchase something it doesn't mail it to me unless I request that (as there are obviously shipping fees if you do).

If you want to have it shipped, you have to create a separate shipping order. It's not automatic.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If you want to have it shipped, you have to create a separate shipping order. It's not automatic.

OK that's what I thought....they would appear in your account and you can open digitally, then you can choose to either ship to you or send to COMC? I just noticed it asks for your shipping address so wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Got some birthday money and decided to try that out for poops and giggles.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
OK that's what I thought....they would appear in your account and you can open digitally, then you can choose to either ship to you or send to COMC? I just noticed it asks for your shipping address so wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Got some birthday money and decided to try that out for poops and giggles.

Not a bad way to go. Hobby boxes are a lot cheaper online than in person. The other advantage is that you can trade quite easily.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not a bad way to go. Hobby boxes are a lot cheaper online than in person. The other advantage is that you can trade quite easily.

Tried a box of Synergy. Got a few interesting cards.

Shesterkin Green FX /99

Makar FX /749

Benson Green FX Auto /99

scfronty

Jan 4, 2009
Does anyone on here use COMC to sell cards? I generally sell mid-high value items myself, but the sheer amount of lower end jersey, rookie, and autograph cards I have sitting in boxes makes me think that maybe COMC is the way to go.

The fees look fine, but I guess I want to confirm through people who have used COMC for selling first that it is worth it.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Does anyone on here use COMC to sell cards? I generally sell mid-high value items myself, but the sheer amount of lower end jersey, rookie, and autograph cards I have sitting in boxes makes me think that maybe COMC is the way to go.

The fees look fine, but I guess I want to confirm through people who have used COMC for selling first that it is worth it.

It’s a good idea but first search up what you want to sell because there are lots of cards like UD base brand inserts where there are 300 copies already for sale.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
And just like that, the market died.

Canadians, please, don't buy hockey in Canada. You will get hockey cards for nothing in the states. Blasters of series two are sitting on shelves everywhere and nobody is buying them.

The only money in current product is basketball and even that has dropped considerably lately.

If you sold for huge gains, good for you. The only current hockey will be high end stuff. The Young Guns phase is over.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
And to add to the ridiculous hype beast cards became for about a year, a breaker on youtube paid 1800 bucks for a box of basketball Prizm FOTL and openly bragged about it.

Didn't pull one key rookie or silver. Maybe made back 50 bucks on his investment.

And I don't feel bad for him one bit. You can get boxes of Prizm for around 300 bucks now.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

i have two -three boxes of these plus full set I think. Why do boxes go for ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad