Hockey Cards - Part III

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
:laugh:Newbies are driving the prices up right now, this much for a mass produced manufactured patch. The guys not gonna be happy when he finds out there are hundreds out there of the same "patch"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-092049_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210409-092049_eBay.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 22

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I laughed on ebay last night how many cards are listed at $1,000,000 for all these lower level players and mass produced cards. Obviously they won't fetch that, it's just comical. Go big or go home, I guess?

Reactions: Satan

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
I laughed on ebay last night how many cards are listed at $1,000,000 for all these lower level players and mass produced cards. Obviously they won't fetch that, it's just comical. Go big or go home, I guess?
Covid has really got a lot of brainless people into card collecting.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Most of my cards are likely going to go to my nephew aswell.

If I gift my "cards" to the next generation, they will be in accounts like COMC. Each of my major card collections (hockey/baseball/sports and Magic/non-sport) was already worth six digits each even before the pandemic. The condition stays pristine and the money can be monitored/controlled by the parents to be used for college or whatever.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Wonder if that is just people looking for offers?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Maybe...unless the card gets swapped or lost of damaged in the process or the company goes bankrupt or whatever or the pyramid crashes and the market drys up of buyers .....can they be insured before you mail them out ? You would have to think if you had a 4,000.00 Gretzky and you offered it for sale for 3000.00 somebody would grab it and spend the extra 50to grade it and then resell it for 3500 -4000 ???? Seems like a quick way to make a few bucks .
Yeah for Gretzky in particular it is super risky to buy raw. One of the most faked cards of all time.

How to Spot a Fake 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card

Even without that, it might not buying like that just because of the time and price of grading and the uncertainty of what grade the card will get.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Might be crazy but this seems like a pretty good deal for a Crosby rookie year auto, especially if you can shave a few hundred dollars off with an offer. Good long term hold.

upload_2021-4-9_14-2-57.png

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I have to assume they are just looking for offers but by listing the price that way it helps them appear at the top? So rather than paying a fee to be stickied, they artificially make it happen?

I haven't sold on ebay in a long time so have lost track of their fees but this is all I can think of?

I mean the names include Barasso, Joseph, Primeau, Roenick, Nedved, Yakupov.....

Not to mention the $20 M for Jagr

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
:laugh:Newbies are driving the prices up right now, this much for a mass produced manufactured patch. The guys not gonna be happy when he finds out there are hundreds out there of the same "patch"
I don't think he/she knows those jerseys are store bought and not game used cuz you sure as hell know the seller didn't put that in the description.

I'm not gonna lie, I usually love the topps manufactured patches in baseball that are usually a blaster exclusive. Most of the time they look great.

But unless it's numbered to three or less there's no way I would spend a hundo on one

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
It is.

After the card boom everyone tried dipping their feet in the waters thinking they had gold.

Everyone who has been collecting for a bit has seen this before. And unless you have basketball your not gonna make alot in sports cards.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Still better than buying the box for $400 and hoping you hit one lol

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
It is.

After the card boom everyone tried dipping their feet in the waters thinking they had gold.

Everyone who has been collecting for a bit has seen this before. And unless you have basketball your not gonna make alot in sports cards.
Idk, I feel like there are some opportunities if you go for some outside the box plays. I've made a few myself, will let you know how they pan out.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Would definitely jump on one for $500. Where can I look?
There's a couple forums that are based around cards, reddit, Twitter, etc.

Blowout used to be a great forum until all the noobs ruined it. There's a huge amount of breakers on YT.... Your best bet is to get in good with the internet trading community because nobody wants hockey if that's what you want to collect.

Most will trade high end hockey for mid grade basketball

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
What is the World market like ? They had cards being made for the Finnish market back in the early 90's . Do they ever pop up anywhere for sale ?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What is the World market like ? They had cards being made for the Finnish market back in the early 90's . Do they ever pop up anywhere for sale ?
Are you talking like the UD Victory Finnish version or Elite League stuff? I know they still make euro league products. Sereal has the license for the KHL and I believe City-Press has a bunch of the other leagues.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
glad I read this thread.

went to my parents last night....grabbed a few cards...including my two Gretzky rookie cards.

Went to a local dealer and made a deal. He had 3 Gretz rookies all graded. We were able to come to an agreement on a sale price for each of mine. It's amazing how much was offered.

Was enough money to top up my TFSA for 2021.

Was EMT'd the cash in the store. Of course the dealer is sending for grading. He told me he uses Beckett. Figured the better one will be graded an 8 with the worse one a 5. We'll see. They are his now.

Gonna go through the rest of my cards...When digging out the Gretz card I found my Yzerman and Messier rookies. They are in better shape than my better Gretzky card. I'm gonna sell while the getting is good. Sounds like kids have lots of money to spend on sports cards.

Oh, they were o pee chee

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
glad I read this thread.

went to my parents last night....grabbed a few cards...including my two Gretzky rookie cards.

Went to a local dealer and made a deal. He had 3 Gretz rookies all graded. We were able to come to an agreement on a sale price for each of mine. It's amazing how much was offered.

Was EMT'd the cash in the store. Of course the dealer is sending for grading. He told me he uses Beckett. Figured the better one will be graded an 8 with the worse one a 5. We'll see. They are his now.

Gonna go through the rest of my cards...When digging out the Gretz card I found my Yzerman and Messier rookies. They are in better shape than my better Gretzky card. I'm gonna sell while the getting is good. Sounds like kids have lots of money to spend on sports cards.

Oh, they were o pee chee
Congrats man. The only thing I left at the folks home was my VCR.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
glad I read this thread.

Oh, they were o pee chee

I’m in a similar position, have a bunch of ungraded high-end cards (Gretzky, Messier, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc), but haven’t sold yet.

How did you find the process as far as price negotiation goes? I was debating going to a dealer to sell the cards, but wasn’t sure if I would fare better selling them directly to a collector, in order to avoid a % hit due to dealer mark-up.

Also, congrats on the sale.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I was treated well. He showed me where he thought my two cards would be graded using examples, and showed me what his pricing was. I believe he will make 2X to 3X what he paid me, based on anticipated gradings....but it sounds like the grading process will take him quite some time.

I guess if I was willing to get it done, I could have enjoyed at least 2X what I received, if not more....but topping up my TFSA meant more at this stage in my life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad