Hockey Canada WJC Summer Camp (roster & feedback from camp)

AidanPhalen13*

If I had to make the team just off of what they did in the two games it would look like this.
Huberdeau Johansen Stone
DSP RNH Schwartz
Howden Couturier Gallagher
Jenner Danault Thomas
Rattie

Gormley Gudbranson
Murray Pysyk
Percy Gauthier-Leduc
Oleksiak

Domingue
Visentin
Obviously this is just based on who I thought played the best. Skill wise no other country comes close to us.

How can Gauthier-Leduc and Percy be on and not Joe Morrow. He played 10 times better than the both of them who were out for like 4 goals against.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Sorry to be a party pooper but Stone has seriously benefited from playing with Huberdeau and Johansen. Other than the points he has been unnoticable, at least from what I've seen.

Are you serious?

The reason he was "unnoticeable" other then points is cause he was always getting points.

You cant say he benefited either from Huberdeau or Johansen, they were just a much better line that found chemistry right away.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
How can Gauthier-Leduc and Percy be on and not Joe Morrow. He played 10 times better than the both of them who were out for like 4 goals against.

I haven't seen the scrimmages, but I saw Percy play 20+ games last year & in the playoffs/memorial cup.

There's a very strong chance neither Percy nor Morrow make the team, but I have a hard time believing Percy is playing poorly. Percy has limited upside but is an EXTREMELY safe & reilable player. Morrow is more dynamic and has higher upside, but there's more risk associated with his game and/or he may not be as likely to reach that upside.

Depending on the make-up of the team, they may decide they want a guy like Percy to offer reliable play and a steadying presence on the back-end, and feel they can sacrifice Morrow's skating & transition ability because other players on the team provide that. As I'm sure you know, it's often about finding the right ingredients and balance for the team, and not just picking who the best player is -- or picking the player with the highest long-term upside.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Are you serious?

The reason he was "unnoticeable" other then points is cause he was always getting points.

You cant say he benefited either from Huberdeau or Johansen, they were just a much better line that found chemistry right away.

Yes, I am serious. Johansen and Huberdeau have been noticable away from the puck, Stone hasn't. Stone is feeding off of those two players right now.

AidanPhalen13*

Yes, I am serious. Johansen and Huberdeau have been noticable away from the puck, Stone hasn't. Stone is feeding off of those two players right now.

:facepalm: Huberdeau benefited from playing with Stone not the other way around. If you recall Stone Gave Huberdeau and easy tap in for one goal and another when Stone shot it , it was laying on the line and Huberdeau taps in another easy one. Its easy to just say Stone did good because of his linemates but thats not the case.
You wish RNH played as good as Stone, Oh yeah i forgot RNH doesnt have to be that good because he has the flu.:shakehead
" WHAT DO U MEAN RNH PLAYED BAD HE HAD 2 GOALS!!!" all the angry oiler fans will say when they read this. Well if two goals is good Mark Stone played PHENOMINAL

GM17*

jesus christ what an absolute overreaction. Can't we leave people to their opinions? He's saying they did more all around the ice. He clearly doesn't care that Stone can blindly chuck the puck at the net. just kidding, calm down

AidanPhalen13*

jesus christ what an absolute overreaction. Can't we leave people to their opinions? He's saying they did more all around the ice. He clearly doesn't care that Stone can blindly chuck the puck at the net.

how as it an overreaction ?? that was my opinion.:yo:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
How has Strome Looked in camp? I know that prior to and following the draft he was training with Tavares and Moulson. I have high hopes for him in the future.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Noticeable away from the puck? In what way? I think on 3 of the goals last night Stone was the main catalyst.

Not sure what your beef with Stone is but even Don Hay was impressed with his work ethic,strength and positioning last night.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Noticeable away from the puck? In what way? I think on 3 of the goals last night Stone was the main catalyst.

Not sure what your beef with Stone is but even Don Hay was impressed with his work ethic,strength and positioning last night.

He's just pissed that RNH was "sick" and didn't look good

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
How has Strome Looked in camp? I know that prior to and following the draft he was training with Tavares and Moulson. I have high hopes for him in the future.

He had flashes of brilliance but he wasn't consistent enough IMO during those scrimmages. Nothing bad though but if he can keep playing a high tempo shift after shift he would be really dominate

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've been away for a few days and I'm glad after reading through this thread. Talk about a bunch of pissing and moaning over who "looked good" and who didn't. It was a few day camp, if someone felt that a certain player didn't play well, big deal, who cares? It won't determine their NHL future or even their future in regards to this Team Canada. Jeez.

The Chiddler

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
I've been away for a few days and I'm glad after reading through this thread. Talk about a bunch of pissing and moaning over who "looked good" and who didn't. It was a few day camp, if someone felt that a certain player didn't play well, big deal, who cares? It won't determine their NHL future or even their future in regards to this Team Canada. Jeez.

Go away for a few days, come back and Mark Stone is the best player in the WHL. :sarcasm:

AidanPhalen13*

Huberdeau definately was the less noticable of the three. I thought Stone was creating a lot of his chances by himself.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Go away for a few days, come back and Mark Stone is the best player in the WHL. :sarcasm:

No kidding. I've seen the Stone hype drummed up in the past, but this is the highest its ever been.

Fitting that the guy is also playing with two sure-fire elite prospects at camp....

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
No kidding. I've seen the Stone hype drummed up in the past, but this is the highest its ever been.

Fitting that the guy is also playing with two sure-fire elite prospects at camp....

and has been the best of the 3 so far

Topside

Jul 2, 2009

I don't know what Stone has to do to impress some people. Like, really... what more do you want him to do? Maybe he should ask to be put on the 4th line so when he scores points with them he can get some credit.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I don't know what Stone has to do to impress some people. Like, really... what more do you want him to do? Maybe he should ask to be put on the 4th line so when he scores points with them he can get some credit.

Honestly, eight points in two games isnt enough, he was "unnoticeable" other then that.

He was playing with two hall of famers it seems like, so he gets no credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad