HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't see why the league has to kowtow to the Red Wings. They are a draw and the west needs that. Its better for the league as a whole to have Detroit in the west and I don't see why we have to break the playoffs because they are being whinny.

Because Detroit is in the eastern time zone.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The whole wild card thing seems useless. its not like they have resolved the issue about it being easier to make the playoffs in the west vs the east.

Just leave it at top four in each division.

I think they just want to get people used to the wildcard make four when they add the wildcard play in round.

Also not a fan of the schedule matrix. Should be weighted heavier to divisional games. I wouldn't even bother having that extra game against intra conference opponents.

The NHL proposed that last year, and the NHLPA shot it down. What makes you think the NHLPA would like that idea this time around?

The wild card idea at least makes it so that better teams in stronger divisions get in over lesser teams in weaker divisions.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
The NHL proposed that last year, and the NHLPA shot it down. What makes you think the NHLPA would like that idea this time around?

The wild card idea at least makes it so that better teams in stronger divisions get in over lesser teams in weaker divisions.

It also defeats the entire purpose of the realignment. What's the point of these divisions if there isn't divisional playoffs? There's no point at all. Even as far as scheduling is concerned, teams in the 8-team division only play their divisional rivals 1 game more than they play any other team in the league. So pathetic and pointless.

Just scrap this stupid plan and keep things the way they are.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't see why the league has to kowtow to the Red Wings. They are a draw and the west needs that. Its better for the league as a whole to have Detroit in the west and I don't see why we have to break the playoffs because they are being whinny.

Detroit has only been a draw for the past 20 years due to their on ice success...they haven't always been a draw, and it's not certain that they will always be a draw in the future.

I can remember back in the 70's and 80's when they were a bad franchise and they weren't considered a "draw" at all...

You can't base realignment on how teams are currently playing (or drawing).

Just scrap this stupid plan and keep things the way they are.

Completely disagree...I really like this plan and couldn't have drew up it any better (from this Wild fan's perspective).

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
How does the wildcard format solve anything when the conferences are now imbalanced? Western teams now have a better shot at making the playoffs.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
How does the wildcard format solve anything when the conferences are now imbalanced? Western teams now have a better shot at making the playoffs.

That makes up for the fact that Eastern teams have a much easier travel schedule.

So, it all evens out in the end, doesn't it? :nod:

wildthing202

May 29, 2006

It's either that or do a 7 team playoff in the West with either the top seed getting a bye or forcing the 3, 4 & 5 teams in a double round robin(a home & away game for each team against each opponent) where the top 2 advance into the semifinals.

Option 1
1 bye
2 vs. 7
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

or

Option 2
1 vs. 7
2 vs. 6
3 vs. 4 vs. 5 (6 games, 4 for each team)

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
It's either that or do a 7 team playoff in the West with either the top seed getting a bye or forcing the 3, 4 & 5 teams in a double round robin(a home & away game for each team against each opponent) where the top 2 advance into the semifinals.

Option 1
1 bye
2 vs. 7
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

or

Option 2
1 vs. 7
2 vs. 6
3 vs. 4 vs. 5 (6 games, 4 for each team)

Or we can keep the same format we have now, instead of breaking stuff for no reason

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
Or we can keep the same format we have now, instead of breaking stuff for no reason

Exactly. You don't go to a radical 4-division system unless you do divisional playoffs. Without divisional playoffs, this whole concept is useless and Pejorative Slured.

NHLPA: "We have concerns about fairness. The conferences are uneven, so we'll have to do something about that."

NHL: "How about we use a wildcard that does absolutely nothing at all to address any of your concerns?"

NHLPA: "You got yourself a deal!"

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Exactly. You don't go to a radical 4-division system unless you do divisional playoffs. Without divisional playoffs, this whole concept is useless and Pejorative Slured.

NHLPA: "We have concerns about fairness. The conferences are uneven, so we'll have to do something about that."

NHL: "How about we use a wildcard that does absolutely nothing at all to address any of your concerns?"

NHLPA: "You got yourself a deal!"

That's what they did starting in 1993-94. Two conferences, four divisions. Except there was no wild card, the #1 and #2 seeds in each conference were the division winners, seeds 3-8 were whoever had the most points after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad