HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...-wings-eastern-conference-seattle-hockey-team
Sporting News declares winners and losers on proposed alignment.

I: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

II: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto

III: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

IV: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Good a time as any to start new thread.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
The amount of sense that it makes to leave Detroit in Chicago's division makes this baffling....

They're going to create an entire play-in system just to move Detroit East, when the previous proposal solved most of Detroit's concerns...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It sucks for PHX, FLA, TB, QC, hopes for TOR2.

I expect this: relocation of PHX to Portland, expansion to Seattle. Eastern Canadian owners hoping to poach BOTH FLA teams

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
It sucks for PHX, FLA, TB, QC, hopes for TOR2.

I expect this: relocation of PHX to Portland, expansion to Seattle. Eastern Canadian owners hoping to poach BOTH FLA teams

The FLA teams will make more money this way, but will have a hard time competing as everyone else in that division is a heavy hitter $wise.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
To the poster who commented on baseball, you were mistaken. You absolutely can face your divisional opponent in the 1st round. New York vs. Baltimore happened last season.

And for it's entire history, MLB was: win your league ---> win the World Series

When the playoff format was introduced, it was ---> win your division ---> win your league ---> win the World Series.

Division ---> Conference ---> Cup is the was to go, in my opinion. That system provided the best playoff stories and rivalries.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
That was just recently changed. And it's not a forced matchup, only when the seeds align. Like how it works in every other sport.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I want to be outraged about the 'Patrick Conference' getting an extra team...but it's Columbus so whatever.

I don't like what this says about expansion/relocation, though.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Wasn't the NHLPAs biggest concern last year the competitive imbalance? Now they've just shifted that imbalance from west to east.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
To summarize the difference between this proposal and the previous one rejected by the PA:

- Columbus moves from div III to I
- Detroit moves from div III to II
- Colorado moves from div IV to III

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I want to be outraged about the 'Patrick Conference' getting an extra team...but it's Columbus so whatever.

I don't like what this says about expansion/relocation, though.

I don't think it says anything more than it did with the last realignment plan. It's just that a lot a people read way too much into that plan, and now here we are with another proposal which presents a whole other scenario with relation to possible expansion. Expansion has zero, zilch, to do with these realignment plans. If there is expansion sometime down the road, sooner or later, alignment will be dealt with again at that time.

To summarize the difference between this proposal and the previous one rejected by the PA:

- Columbus moves from div III to I
- Detroit moves from div III to II
- Colorado moves from div IV to III

And again, how does any of that address the apparent concerns that the PA expressed?

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
I don't think it says anything more than it did with the last realignment plan. It's just that a lot a people read way too much into that plan, and now here we are with another proposal which presents a whole other scenario with relation to possible expansion. Expansion has zero, zilch, to do with these realignment plans. If there is expansion sometime down the road, sooner or later, alignment will be dealt with again at that time.

Relocation could be happening in two or three months. Unless they've already decided who their preferred bidder is going to be.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Relocation could be happening in two or three months. Unless they've already decided who their preferred bidder is going to be.

That's relocation, that's not expansion.

I'm looking at this League right now, and it doesn't know how to structure itself. It's got so many restrictions with respect to what it is allowing itself to do, that it's grasping at very limited options and hoping that it can put something together that makes sense and not be dysfunctional.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i don't see why the proposed realignment will be any problems. It makes perfect sense for seattle. Phx moving to Seattle changes nothing regarding this proposal where as phx to quebec might cause a few problems in regards to this proposal. Unless Colorado is moved back to IV and Detroit is move back to III

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Please tell me that the NHL gets permission from the NHLPA to do a quickie shuffle, should the Coyotes move to QC. We do not need Quebec playing in the new Pacific division for 2 seasons while the league and players do "consultations".

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Please tell me that the NHL gets permission from the NHLPA to do a quickie shuffle, should the Coyotes move to QC. We do not need Quebec playing in the new Pacific division for 2 seasons while the league and players do "consultations".

Can you see it? Detroit gets in the East, and then within 1 Season they're asked to go back in the West. :nod::sarcasm:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't see how they can not consider expansion (Quebec and Markham) when doing this realignment. It doesn't make sense.

I suppose Markham could go to the "Central"-looking division, but then what happens to Quebec? Are they going to move Columbus again?

There are a lot of flaws here.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Wasn't the NHLPAs biggest concern last year the competitive imbalance? Now they've just shifted that imbalance from west to east.

In the original proposal the west had worse travel and more teams. It does balance those two. West still has worse travel but east now has more teams to balance it.
Not perfect but nothing will be unless they wanted to keep two 3 division conferences. And that doesn't make sense once they expand and it doesn't matter if we want it they will do it for the money.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
i don't see why the proposed realignment will be any problems. It makes perfect sense for seattle. Phx moving to Seattle changes nothing regarding this proposal where as phx to quebec might cause a few problems in regards to this proposal. Unless Colorado is moved back to IV and Detroit is move back to III

A few problems. :laugh:

As in teams possibly having to make 3-4 east coast trips to play Quebec and vice versa.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The only way to make it fair for everyone is to have divisions where there are teams in the East, Central and West.

Since the Eastern teams would scream bloody murder over that, they get 16 teams to make up for it. Teams like Nashville, Dallas and St. Louis are still screwed on travel but they have two less teams to worry about to make the playoffs.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A few problems. :laugh:

As in teams possibly having to make 3-4 east coast trips to play Quebec and vice versa.

I mean using the proposal given far west would have 6 teams III would have 7 II 8 1 9.

If Phx was going to quebec city NHL wouldn't have proposed realignment like this. Phx moving to seattle would not cause any issues with the proposal relignment like i said. But if NHL wants to keep it IV 7 III 7 II 8 I 8 and Phx goes to quebec city which teams are gonna get moved to the other conferences to keep it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad