HNIC: Mar 30, Sens-Leafs

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Cherry also gave Ottawa some peppy encouragement on the in-arena mike before the anthems. Honestly, the HNIC crew seems to be more well-balanced this season.

The Kadri stuff was only irritating because of what he'd done to us, and the two enforcers there... whatever, in hindsight it was enthusiastic hockey fun. I'd rather it be done for the winning team's impressive young player than not at all.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Cherry said we have the best three goalies in the world before the game even started, so, yeah.

Voted OK. Any irritation I had for the post-game was a product of being pissed after the lopsided third period.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
lol at Leaf fans voting option #1.

Yes-the Leafs fans are voting en masse , just another indication of the Leafs fans overwhelming obsession with the Sens.

Also noted that "Sens' fan Dan thinks it was just fine and it didn't bother him at all-this is the same guy who accuses Ian Mendes , all the guys at Team 1200 and the Sun and Citizen-pretty well everyone really who covers the Sens-of being homers.

hmmm I haven't seen Ian Mendes kissing any Sens players lately ....

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I probably would have been annoyed had I seen it last night (that game was absolutely brutal) but I just watched the clip this morning to see what all the fuss was about.

I thought it was hilarious. As much as I hate the Leafs, I have a real soft spot for Kadri (not enough that I'll ever be anything less than pissed watching him score a hat-trick against us). Great player, and while I'm happy with Cowen I was hoping we'd draft Kadri, in large part due to his heritage.

Sucks that he's a leaf.

headliner

Feb 11, 2007
It sucked but what can you do?

My only comment is if we had won 4-0 and it was Turris was the hat trick, do you think Cherry would have had Turris, Kassian and Neil in there with him?

Exactly my thoughts. Such things should be reserved for a series win. But Cherry knows that Toronto fans butter his bread, and he's been riding their gullibility all the way to the bank for 30+ years. We all know his heart lies with the Bruins.

I so hope Boston meets the Leafs in Round 1.

Leafs' fans will get a steady diet of this....from Dec. 5, 2009, Boston @ Toronto on HNIC. Leafs are struggling to stay in the race...6 pts. back.

All you have to watch is the first 30 seconds. Wonder how that'll go over on HNIT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2XMYYo2Hk

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
there was a game saturday night? hmm, that's odd its not on my PVR, in my memory, nor is it in any of the newspapers i didnt read on Sunday.

So big game against boston tomorrow!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yes-the Leafs fans are voting en masse , just another indication of the Leafs fans overwhelming obsession with the Sens.

Also noted that "Sens' fan Dan thinks it was just fine and it didn't bother him at all-this is the same guy who accuses Ian Mendes , all the guys at Team 1200 and the Sun and Citizen-pretty well everyone really who covers the Sens-of being homers.

hmmm I haven't seen Ian Mendes kissing any Sens players lately ....

I'm over 50 years old, this kind of stuff doesn't even register on my "Give a puck" scale.
If you don't think the local media defends the team I don't know what to say, listen to the post-game show, anyone that brings up questions or criticisms is met with anger and basically run off the air. It's bascially been this way since Murray took over. Prior to that everyone from Johnston to Muckler got their fair share of criticism. And guess what, this team has been at its least performing on the ice since then. But yeah, let's applaud mediocrity.

We (as a fanbase) need to stop looking for slights where there are none. HNIC plays to the Toronto market, they always have. Don has given our players credit in the past but he plays to the Leafs. Why is that hard to understand?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I'm over 50 years old, this kind of stuff doesn't even register on my "Give a puck" scale.
If you don't think the local media defends the team I don't know what to say, listen to the post-game show, anyone that brings up questions or criticisms is met with anger and basically run off the air. It's bascially been this way since Murray took over. Prior to that everyone from Johnston to Muckler got their fair share of criticism. And guess what, this team has been at its least performing on the ice since then. But yeah, let's applaud mediocrity.

We (as a fanbase) need to stop looking for slights where there are none. HNIC plays to the Toronto market, they always have. Don has given our players credit in the past but he plays to the Leafs. Why is that hard to understand?

Pretty well all the regional broadcasters and reporters for every team are homers to a certain extent. Fans of one team will rip another teams homer reporters and broadcasters when their own are he same, maybe worse.
However in Canada the national sports media are headquartered in Toronto and the same homerism applies.

For example. when Ottawa had more points than the Leafs because of "loser points" and it was feared that the Leafs might not make it in when they had more wins than other teams, there was a sudden interest in loser points emanating from various media outlets despite that fact that they have been around for awhile but while the Leafs had their share it was not a concern.

Now that the Leafs have their own loser points and other teams have won as many games as the Leafs, we don't hear about loser points any more. This is the sort of thing that plays out again and again especially when it looks as tough the Leafs might make the playoffs. Whatever is of concern to the Leafs is suddenly the concern of the whole league.And that is because the 'national' sports media are obsessed with their team.

That you think that the overwhelming and pervasive homer ism for the Leafs is not a problem but you are enraged by what you see favoritism for the Sens is very curious.

The display by the HNIC crew was disrespectful to their hosts and outrageous homerism. it is dismissed because we're all used to it.But can you imagine the reverse happening at the ACC? Or really inviting the triumphant visitors to any teams home arena, kissed and fawned over by a "national"broadcast crew?

I don't think Sens fans are too sensitive at all. I think on the contrary, we put up with things that no other fan base would.Because we're used to it and thats the way it has always been.

Last edited:

BadMcFadden

Aug 17, 2011
My two low points of the game (other than the result) were:

1. Announcer claims that lupul intentionally passed an 80mph slapshot off his knee to kadri...

2. Announcer is baffled by leafs delay of game penalty claiming that the sens player "pushed his stick" (or some such nonsense). Goes on for like 20 seconds how he has never seen such a call in his life... replay shows sens player (Smith IIRC) taps the stick, then the leaf player flips it right up over the boards for the penalty.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Cherry doesn't bother me that much.

But Craig Simpson claiming Greening is lucky to be alive, because big bad Fraser grabbed on to him is pathetic.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
HNIC is always pro leaf. Even my girlfriend, who doesn't care about hockey beyond the handsomeness of Greening and Karlsson, commented on how blatantly biased the announcers are on CBC. I thought I was being a homer, but there you go!

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
The frustrating part is that we're forced to support these guys. Part of our taxes subsidizes it. To pay for support such a broadcast is exasperating when we're slapped in the face with such blatant ridiculousness and homerism.

National broadcasts should be national. That should mean no bias for any one canadian team, but bias for canadian teams as a whole.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It doesn't seem to matter which channel shows the Sens, they are all headquatered in Toronto & it seems they are all pro Toronto analyses. It's not a surprise & has always been this way since their biggest market is Toronto. They know their audience & cater to it. If we could only synchronize the video with the audio, I would listen to the team 1200 during every game. Sportsnet is okay because of Dean & Dennis, it's the intermissions that usually suck with Toronto crap.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Leafs always do extremely well against NE rivals. They're probably aching to meet one of us in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad