Aug 31, 2017
We have two ideas and are trying to gauge interest on either:

A) Only retired (all time draft)
B) Only prospects (no NHL games)

Let us know which you’d prefer/if you’re interested

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If we do an all time draft I'd want to include current players too. I think it adds some interesting spice and doesn't include that many more players (probably a couple dozen).

I'd also recommend voting be done on the History of Hockey board too. Perhaps a trio of HoH, Polls, and internal all counting for 33% or something.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
We could also do an auction draft, I remember those being mentioned after the first draft, I'm just no positive how they work.

My idea for an auction based game:
Normal way picks get made but you make an opening bid, people have a 2 hour window to bid on said players, if you win the bid you get the player and forfeit your next pick to whoever pick it should've been.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We could also do an auction draft, I remember those being mentioned after the first draft, I'm just no positive how they work.

My idea for an auction based game:
Normal way picks get made but you make an opening bid, people have a 2 hour window to bid on said players, if you win the bid you get the player and forfeit your next pick to whoever pick it should've been.

I'll play just about anything but I'm out for an auction draft. These are always annoying as f*** to me and require way too much effort from all parties involved.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Don't have the knowledge for an all-time draft to be much fun and not super interested in a propsect draft right after a U26 one tbh.

Auction game would be fun I think. Not sure in the way you described, but it's been a while since we did one of those.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I'll play just about anything but I'm out for an auction draft. These are always annoying as f*** to me and require way too much effort from all parties involved.

Wouldn't it be LESS effort?

You make bids once a day on a certain grouping of players and that is it.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Don't have the knowledge for an all-time draft to be much fun and not super interested in a propsect draft right after a U26 one tbh.

Auction game would be fun I think. Not sure in the way you described, but it's been a while since we did one of those.
Lol I just don’t know how auction drafts work

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Wouldn't it be LESS effort?

You make bids once a day on a certain grouping of players and that is it.

The ones I've played before have allowed for people to resubmit bids.

If you remove that, then yes, you're correct.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
The ones I've played before have allowed for people to resubmit bids.

If you remove that, then yes, you're correct.

I was thinking more like a blind auction. Yes there have been ones in the past where people just up their bid to beat the top one last minute and that obviously doesn't work.

Reactions: LT

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
I’ve ran auctions with rebidding and it was a lot of effort as LT said. The threads flooded the gm games board too :laugh:

Silent auction is an interesting idea I haven’t tried.

I don’t think I would be too interested in either one or two in the OP. I don’t really want to do the research for an ATD, and a prospect draft is eh to me

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I mean whoever runs the game wouldn't be able to bid obviously, but I would be willing to run that game if nobody else wants to and there is enough interest (10+ GMs).

I have some ideas that should allow it to work.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm also open to running it (or at least helping) since I suck at auction drafts.

Reactions: m0pe

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
So here is generally what I was thinking for a blind auction game as a general idea; details can be tweaked.

- 7-10 days worth of bidding followed by voting (would like this to be a fairly brief game that is wrapped up by next weekend so depends when we get started).

- Each day a grouping of players would be released at the same time. 24 hours will be given to submit your bids, by the end of which the highest bidder will get each player and the next grouping of players would come out.

- 80-100m cap (Depends on number of GMs)

- You can bid on as many players as you want but you are stuck with whoever you bid highest on. So don't just bid on everyone or you could be handcuffed quite quickly.

- Optional Idea: Players will sign at minimum of their 2019-20 contract (This prevents people from spending way too much early on and being able to fill out with decent players at 1 million per).

- Final day of bids: First come first serve on the pool of players; will mostly be depth guys that can be signed at 700K to help fill out a roster

Any interest in this idea? If people would rather do a prospect/all-time draft then that is fine, but I would be out on that personally. If interest, I would look into it more closely and set out more specific rules. Open to suggestions too.

Been a long time since I have done one of these so don't exactly know how it would go down; but thought it can be an interesting new type of game for a change.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So here is generally what I was thinking for a blind auction game as a general idea; details can be tweaked.

- 7-10 days worth of bidding followed by voting (would like this to be a fairly brief game that is wrapped up by next weekend so depends when we get started).

- Each day a grouping of players would be released at the same time. 24 hours will be given to submit your bids, by the end of which the highest bidder will get each player and the next grouping of players would come out.

- 80-100m cap (Depends on number of GMs)

- You can bid on as many players as you want but you are stuck with whoever you bid highest on. So don't just bid on everyone or you could be handcuffed quite quickly.

- Optional Idea: Players will sign at minimum of their 2019-20 contract (This prevents people from spending way too much early on and being able to fill out with decent players at 1 million per).

- Final day of bids: First come first serve on the pool of players; will mostly be depth guys that can be signed at 700K to help fill out a roster

Any interest in this idea? If people would rather do a prospect/all-time draft then that is fine, but I would be out on that personally. If interest, I would look into it more closely and set out more specific rules. Open to suggestions too.

Been a long time since I have done one of these so don't exactly know how it would go down; but thought it can be an interesting new type of game for a change.

I'd be done for this. I like a 100M cap with a 1M minimum for anyone who's current contract is below that.

Also no trading.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I'd be done for this. I like a 100M cap with a 1M minimum for anyone who's current contract is below that.

Also no trading.

Yeah dunno how trading would work in this anyways so no.

But I could see people over bidding themselves and going over the cap. I was thinking you can drop anyone at the end, but then there has to be some sort of punishment or people would bid on everyone and drop whoever is most convinient at the end.

I was thinking maybe people can drop anyone at the end but at a cost (ie. 1m reduction/dead cap on your salary cap for each player dropped). Open to other ideas, but think in this type of game people exceeding the cap may be a problem and there has to be a way to resolve it without trading.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah dunno how trading would work in this anyways so no.

But I could see people over bidding themselves and going over the cap. I was thinking you can drop anyone at the end, but then there has to be some sort of punishment or people would bid on everyone and drop whoever is most convinient at the end.

I was thinking maybe people can drop anyone at the end but at a cost (ie. 1m reduction/dead cap on your salary cap for each player dropped). Open to other ideas, but think in this type of game people exceeding the cap may be a problem and there has to be a way to resolve it without trading.

Maybe dropping them cuts their cap hit by 50%.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
If I wasn't packed with work a silent auction sounds like a great idea. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad