''History shows Bobrovsky should be a lock for MVP nod''

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
McDavid is a liability in the dot how come no one talks about that?

But really...Bobrovsky point shares > McDavid's fwiw

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
1996-97 .905
1997-98 .906
2001-02 .908
2014-15 .915
2016-17 .913

The real difference is in the amount of goal support Bobrovsky gets

1996-97 Sabres 237 (13th)
1997-98 Sabres 211 (17th)
2001-02 Habs 213 (18th)
2014-15 Habs 221 (18th)
2016-17 Jackets 256 (projected, 5th in G/GP, 235 in 75 games actual)

I'm suprised save percentage was that much different. Don't think the actual goals per game is much different between then and now. Actually went and looked and unless I'm looking at the wrong thing scoring in 02 was actually lower than this year. Albeit a pretty meaningless difference but it's still weird.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Can't really compare goalie s% to top players points, as the former have increased a lot and the latter have decreased a lot.

The goalies are just getting bigger and better so I expect 93+% years to become fairly common if not annual in the future. Relative to the league Haseks percentages are more like 94.5 or something absurd like that, he was way ahead of his time and peers.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
It's not like the Blue Jackets franchise is a perennial power. Projected to be last Place by the "smart guys", will at worst end with Second or third most points playing in the toughest division. Bob's the man!

Who predicted them to be last?

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Except Price had a team 18th in goal scoring and bob's team is 5th (18th for Theodore, 16th and 10th for Hasek). Great year but he's not the sole engine of this team

McDavid will win

Last edited:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
MacDavid is not only deserving of the MVP, he is the new Canadian superstar. The combination of these factors means that there is zero chance of Bob winning the Hart.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Sure. Put him in the convo. He's having an outstanding year.

But it's still Mcdavid. He's been ahead almost the whole year on a team that hasn't finished outside of the bottom 5 in like a decade.

It's absolutely his award this year. No question.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I think he will be a finalist, but won't win. He has a much stronger team playing in front of him than Price or Hasek did. Theodore should never have won - Iggy was robed that year.

It's worth noting that while some argue Iginla was left off 1 ballot, Theodore was left off 4 of them. So it really shouldn't have been a tie vote.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
You can't just point out statistics and not take into account the whole context. Whether fans like it or not, Tortorella is a big reason why Columbus plays the way they play. They also have one of the best defensive corps in the league in my opinion. Seth Jones is turning into a star. Werenski's had an unbelievable rookie season. Wennberg has had a break out season. Overall the players up front are I would say underrated. Foligno, Hartnell, Dubinski, Atkinson, Saad, Jenner, Anderson, Wennberg, Karlsson.. It's more like a "the whole team clicked" situation, rather than a "Bobrovsky-stole-the season situation". That's why I don't even have him in my top-three for Hart/Lindsay. Marchand, Crosby, and McDavid are more deserving imo. He can win the Vezina though.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Can't really compare goalie s% to top players points, as the former have increased a lot and the latter have decreased a lot.

The goalies are just getting bigger and better so I expect 93+% years to become fairly common if not annual in the future.

Well Bob has a .935, Price and Holtby at .924.

That's a huge difference, approximately twice as many goals saved above the average .913 sv% (40 goals for Bob, 20 for the other two). It doesn't look like .930+ is becoming normal.

Relative to the league Haseks percentages are more like 94.5 or something absurd like that, he was way ahead of his time and peers.

Hasek's two Hart seasons he had a .930 when the league average was .906. Difference: .024

This year Bob has a .935, league average .913. Difference: .022

I don't know how people got it in their heads that .935 isn't a big deal. It is.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You can't just point out statistics and not take into account the whole context. Whether fans like it or not, Tortorella is a big reason why Columbus plays the way they play. They also have one of the best defensive corps in the league in my opinion. Seth Jones is turning into a star. Werenski's had an unbelievable rookie season. Wennberg has had a break out season. Overall the players up front are I would say underrated. Foligno, Hartnell, Dubinski, Atkinson, Saad, Jenner, Anderson, Wennberg, Karlsson.. It's more like a "the whole team clicked" situation, rather than a "Bobrovsky-stole-the season situation". That's why I don't even have him in my top-three for Hart/Lindsay. Marchand, Crosby, and McDavid are more deserving imo. He can win the Vezina though.

The whole team clicked explains how they scored so many goals and brought shots against down to average levels. They'd be about a +20 goal differential with an average goalie in net. Pretty cool.

But they're a +60 with Bob. Has any skater provided their team with that much margin?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The whole team clicked explains how they scored so many goals and brought shots against down to average levels. They'd be about a +20 goal differential with an average goalie in net. Pretty cool.

But they're a +60 with Bob. Has any skater provided their team with that much margin?
If you acknowledge, as that seems to be the case, that they would be a good team even with "average" goatending, then that is a huge thing going against him obviously.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Honestly I think Bob's past is going to hurt him.

He was bad in Philly, very good his first year with the Jackets, solid his 2nd year, average his 3rd, poor last year, and then this year he's incredible.

I think that his career to date of being goalie who is a good but not great starter with some streakiness/ups and downs will hurt him in the votes because voters won't want to select another Theodore. I don't think votes really want Bob to win the Hart this year, then revert back to being terrible and have everyone look at the choice in 10 years and say "WTF how did he win?" like they do with Theodore.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Could be a year a defenseman finally wins again. Hasn't happened since Pronger right? Maybe Burns sneaks in.
0 chance. He and the Sharks have had a rough end to the season. He would've had a shot back when he was not far off from the scoring race but I don't think there's any appetite left. It was also a 27 year wait from Orr to Pronger and they haven't even nominated a defenseman since Pronger so I don't think they're necessarily in any hurry to give it to a defensemen.

McDavid will win very comfortably.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well Bob has a .935, Price and Holtby at .924.

That's a huge difference, approximately twice as many goals saved above the average .913 sv% (40 goals for Bob, 20 for the other two). It doesn't look like .930+ is becoming normal.

Hasek's two Hart seasons he had a .930 when the league average was .906. Difference: .024

This year Bob has a .935, league average .913. Difference: .022

I don't know how people got it in their heads that .935 isn't a big deal. It is.

I'm not sure where the numbers on the first page come from, but hockey reference has the league average in '97 as .902 (so a difference of .028) and '98 as .904 and Hasek at .932 (so another difference of .028).

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Bobrovsky should get an MVP nod according to none other than Carey Price himself.

Pierre LeBrun: If I gave you a Hart Trophy ballot, how would you fill it out?

Price: Oof. Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby and probably Sergei Bobrovsky.

Pierre LeBrun: Which means you'd give the Vezina to Bobrovsky?

Price: Yeah, it's really outstanding what Bob has done this season -- going from a point in his career where he openly confessed that he had zero confidence and then to come back and play the way he has this year is just really impressive.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...es-how-fatherhood-changed-why-habs-contenders

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Bobrovsky has already been robbed of the Hart once, wouldn't be surprised for him to not even get a nomination this time around, even though I'd agree he should be the front runner at this point, or in a two-horse race with McDavid.

He doesn't get the credit he deserves, and a big part of that goes with his reputation, or his lack thereof. Guaranteed if it's Price having these kinds of numbers this season, he'd be talked about a lot more.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think that Marchand deserves to get a nod here instead. Vezina? That's another story. You can surely make an argument for him.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
While I understand the sentiment, the trophy should still go to McDavid. If McDavid had this season the year Price won, Price wouldn't have gotten the individual awards. Forwards (and being Canadian) pretty much are always favored for these kinds of things.

Bob's season is incredible and it's a shame he's not going to get the recognition he deserves but McDavid definitely has earned the Hart. Hopefully people will have Price and Bob as the two best in the league now though, pretty much interchangeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad