Rumor: Hirose Rumoured to Sign with Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
But what is his hockey nickname? Keeters? Keets?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

On the topic of pronouncing names, should we try and pronounce names as it sounds natively? It’s often pretty annoying when an English speaker is speaking English and then trying to pronounce a [insert nationality] name the way it would be pronounced in its native language with the correct tone etc.

Kind of like trying to order pasta in English but pronouncing the pasta names like an Italian.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
On the topic of pronouncing names, should we try and pronounce names as it sounds natively? It’s often pretty annoying when an English speaker is speaking English and then trying to pronounce a [insert nationality] name the way it would be pronounced in its native language with the correct tone etc.

Kind of like trying to order pasta in English but pronouncing the pasta names like an Italian.

I’ve talked about this with my wife and it really comes down how the person wants it pronounced. Zach Parise is a very obvious example. Some players don’t seem to mind two different pronunciations.
For Akito Hirose she just finds it very funny how completely inaccurate some members of the media can be. In an interview both Dhaliwal and Shane Malloy referred to him as Hiroshi and, well, that’s a completely different name.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I’ve talked about this with my wife and it really comes down how the person wants it pronounced. Zach Parise is a very obvious example. Some players don’t seem to mind two different pronunciations.
For Akito Hirose she just finds it very funny how completely inaccurate some members of the media can be. In an interview both Dhaliwal and Shane Malloy referred to him as Hiroshi and, well, that’s a completely different name.

Wait how else do people pronounce Parise?

Pah-reez?

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Japanese names are fairly easy to pronounce so I wonder why some people would have trouble with it. I guess they didn't try hard. By the way, I was curious why Parise doesn't end with é.

Reactions: LordBacon and m9

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
HE-RO-SAY

but the "r" in "ro" is kinda soft, use your tongue at the top of your mouth, almost like an L but keep the R sound.
The "say" is shortened and almost like "se"

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
They way Hirose pronounces his name may not be the original Japanese way. I’m going with Herosay until I hear otherwise.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

i dunno you kinda sound like a tool doing this.

i took up portuguese and spanish recently and have met a bunch of people who dont give a f*** if anglophones nail the accent of their name, just as long as they have a general gist of the correct pronounciation.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i have a rule that i don't expend any effort to learn to pronounce or spell a player's name until we have signed them, and i prefer to follow what the player says when dan murphy or similar inevitably asks.

seems like we could replace the last page of postings with a judge smails gif.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad