Post-Game Talk: Hire a PP "Consultant"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm sorry but I just dont think Torts is the right guy for this team, and I didn't think so last year either. I don't believe its a talent problem. We have brought in how many guys the last few years and the same result, we can't score goals. Its not a personnel problem. its the stupid dump and chase ********. Then God forbid some young guy comes in or up and makes a mistake, he'll see the bench for the rest of the game. His circle of trust is very small. How can anyone feel they have the confidence of their coach? That's very bad.

This is the one thing I don't understand about the Rangers. You guys have a fair bit of young talent on the team, but how are they going to learn when they're stapled to the bench? All players make mistakes, you need to have a coachign staff willing to work with them and teach, instead of constantly berating them on the bench in front of everyone like that.

And what about Schoenfeld? Isn't he also an off-ice assistant for the Rangers (along with his work in Hartford)? What exactly is he doing with the NHL club?

BarbaraAlphanse

Anisimov and Dubinsky arent the solutoon either. More redundant 3rd liners. This team hasnt had a legit 2nd line since 1994.

Healthy Cally and Kreider, and maybe a JT Miller call up.

We did the same thing with Hagelin last year. We need an infusion of young blood and energy.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Anisimov and Dubinsky arent the solutoon either. More redundant 3rd liners. This team hasnt had a legit 2nd line since 1994.

Well, honestly, we don't have many third liners. Just fourth liners and AHL fodder :sarcasm: ... kinda

We have three first liners, three third liners and 6 fourth liners, basically. And Dubi and AA could both be adequate in the top six at least.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
There are bigger problems than Torts, the PP, or Rupp. The guys are playing like these games mean nothing. Someone's gotta scare them into playing the way we know they should be playing.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik (worked awesome last year)
Nash- Stepan-Callahan (when healthy)

That's 2 solid top lines. If they don't score they don't score. but the #1 line has to be broken up.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'm all about that - if the 4th line actually gets playing time.

To some saying Torts ain't the problem, I beg to differ to a degree. You have a season that started on short notice, some of your players (key ones at that) haven't been playing.

ROLL FOUR LINES.

Right, we're such an offensive force we should be playing our 4th line regularly. lol

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

That's 2 solid top lines. If they don't score they don't score. but the #1 line has to be broken up.

I totally agree. The cup of tea is done, you need a guy on that line that goes to the dirty areas. You can have 2 legitimate first lines with our current roster - with a non-injured Callahan.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, honestly, we don't have many third liners. Just fourth liners and AHL fodder :sarcasm: ... kinda

We have three first liners, three third liners and 6 fourth liners, basically. And Dubi and AA could both be adequate in the top six at least.

Not really what I would call adequate. The grass is always greener on the other side. Amazing how people are so hung up on Dubi and Arty forgetting that they pulled the same disappearing acts the current team does. We need a top 6 with real scorers.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Not gonna comment on the level of play, for obvious reasons, but that was easily the most boring Rangers game this season. Slow and unorganized by both teams and the officials blew the whistles too often.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Healthy Cally and Kreider, and maybe a JT Miller call up.

We did the same thing with Hagelin last year. We need an infusion of young blood and energy.
i agree cally is the most hardworking guy which is why he is the Captain. Kreider is gonna do better once he is healthy i have a feeling. Jt miller should get a look i mean i know he is young but our 3rd and 4th line is that bad

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
There are bigger problems than Torts, the PP, or Rupp. The guys are playing like these games mean nothing. Someone's gotta scare them into playing the way we know they should be playing.

Well I would put at least some of that on Torts. But I agree. The lack of effort is extremely concerning, especially knowing that without Cally they needed to step up.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Thats not a solid 2 top lines. Thats a top 6 with a fringe top 6 player in stepan and a 3rd liner in Hagelin. That is exactly the problem

useref15

Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey

Hagelin is not a first liner or second liner. I don't know why some of you pencil him in the top 6.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
This team doesn't shoot when they have a chance, we don't have players that can unleash something that will make the opposing player go down on all fours if he blocks it, our hitting is almost nonexistent; no, a slight bump I don't consider a hit. Seriously, when was the last time we saw a Ranger hit somebody and the thought that went running in your head was "oh, ****, he killed him?"

Also, another ****ing game where Malkin and Crosby are up to their little tricks. Return the favor with a slew foot of your own, hit them on the ankles with your stick, throw a punch. Who cares if you get a penalty? Send a message: **** with us and you'll get hurt.

You know those pile-ups with Crosby, where he's yanking on a player or tries to remain on top of them so they don't get up that easily? Did it to Stepan last game. Someone should time it properly: when he does that, they should attempt to get up, and when he starts yanking, you throw that elbow back as hard and as fast as you can while making it seem like you lost your balance because the rat wouldn't let you go.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is the one thing I don't understand about the Rangers. You guys have a fair bit of young talent on the team, but how are they going to learn when they're stapled to the bench? All players make mistakes, you need to have a coachign staff willing to work with them and teach, instead of constantly berating them on the bench in front of everyone like that.

And what about Schoenfeld? Isn't he also an off-ice assistant for the Rangers (along with his work in Hartford)? What exactly is he doing with the NHL club?

What young guy was undeservingly stapled to the bench last? Hagelin got called out in the presser last time and he was right back on this ice tonight. MDZ got sent down to the AHL for a good chunk of his second season for making dumb mistakes and he came back and has been better than ever since. The team is absolutely willing to work with and teach young players. McDonagh is a great player, stepped in as a young guy and became a first pairing player. MDZ had his ups and down with Torts, now he's got his game together and looks the best he ever has. Stepan has been doing well up until this year, and he's still the de facto 2C, he's not getting demoted or scratched or benched or whatever. Hagelin had a great year last year and he's still in the lineup on the second or third line ever night despite struggling to start off.

This team isn't playing well because there was almost no camp, no preseason and they made a lot of changes. That's it. They're not in the groove 24/7. You can see the team that they're supposed to be when they're on their game. It's not some fundamental problem with the way the team is run, it's the unusual start of the season. It'd be ideal if they came out anyway like it wasn't a weird way to start, but they're not.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I totally agree. The cup of tea is done, you need a guy on that line that goes to the dirty areas. You can have 2 legitimate first lines with our current roster - with a non-injured Callahan.

Both Richards and Nash are playmakers, one should be on the 1st line, the other on the 2nd line.

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Also, getting a penalty in the first 5 minutes of the game is just stupid and the Rangers seems to do it every other game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad