Post-Game Talk: Hire a PP "Consultant"

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Why has it been the SAME problem every year with this team!
For some reason 08-09 marks the first year I really remember us (post 05 lockout Rangers that is) not being able to score. No matter who we've had in our lineup since 08-09, the team has pretty much struggled to score goals. Aside from a select few defenseman and Hank, the team's makeup has changed dramatically since Torts' first year (08-09, though he started 1/2 through) and it's been the same problem every frickin year! It's gotta be on Torts at this point.

Obviously it's hard to fault him after reaching the ECFs, but aside from that one great season last year, the man missed the playoffs in 09-10, and then had to rely on Tampa to secure us an 8th seed in 10-11. If we keep struggling to score, (god forbid) have an underwhelming year this season where the team possibly misses the POs, then next season we HAVE to explore other coaching options.
Solely relying on Hank can only get you so far, and we saw last year that the glass ceiling for relying on Hank and blocking every shot in sight was not enough. We need to score, and we have a very capable roster for that, however this mindless dump and chase system doesn't cut it. With our top line we should be playing exciting offensive hockey, not this mindless BS.

NYRANGERAMI*

You're kidding, right? They didn't have more than two or three legit scoring chances the whole game.

Face it, unless we go back to giving up one goal a game and Lundqvist standing on his head, the Rangers will be lucky to make the playoffs, much less win the division or contend for the Cup. Maybe we should point towards the next two years, and hope for reinforcements, but when you have Mike Rupp playing a regular shift, Pyatt as a second line regular, Richards and Stepan doing nothing, and Stu Bickel, Asham, career minor leaguers like Ferriero, Halpern getting big minutes, your just not going to score very much.

And I know everyone complains (with reason) about the pathetic power play, mostly because it's pathetic, but it has stunk for three years. At some point, you have to admit, hey, maybe they don't just have much talent up front (though they pass the puck around the perimeter aimlessly until someone makes a mistake, trying to score the perfect goal, when half the team has "manos de piedra").

One more thing - though Hagelin is blazing fast and does a lot of good things, he hasn't scored in 35 games, doesn't shoot even though he has a good shot, and the team up front lacks speed and takes forever to get up the ice.

Oh, and you can't overpass when the MSG ice is so awful.

On the bright side, with Stralman playing so well, we have a fabulous defense - tell Tortorella to start using it.

3 scoring chances is all we need for 3 goals. However Pens didnt do much either. They just cashed in on their chances. Your looking to deep into it. Its not that serious. Rangers are fine and will be playing to your liking and all us fans liking, very shortly.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Why didn't anybody drop the gloves after Malkin tried to tomahawk Staal's head off at the end of the first period? I would have liked to see someone dropped them at the start of the second. I hope the NHL takes a look at that, but I don't have very high hopes.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
Why didn't anybody drop the gloves after Malkin tried to tomahawk Staal's head off at the end of the first period? I would have liked to see someone dropped them at the start of the second. I hope the NHL takes a look at that, but I don't have very high hopes.

Ofcourse they won't, it was Malkin and his pack of flightless birds, they´re untouchable

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
I'll be at tomorrow's game. Kind of sad I'll be wasting my Saturday night watching these clowns. What a waste of time.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Another blacked out game for me. Thanks GCL!

Yeah this is turning out to be a huge waste of $50. Every game so far has been blacked out. I also can't watch it on my PS3.

Seeing if I can get a refund for that bs.

Aside from that with regards to the game :laugh: I knew this was coming. We have one REALLY good top line, and than 3 3rd/4th lines with Callahan and Kreider out.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
I just can't wrap my head around us not having "horses" when we have Gaborik, Nash, Richards, and yes Cally's 30G.

I see a lack of guys given ice time that like to do the real dirty work.

There's not a team outside of Pitts that would LOVE to have our top 3. We have all the tools - they need to be sharpened.

I was thinking last night after the game, that players mutiny against Torts it's not that far fetched.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I was thinking last night after the game, that players mutiny against Torts it's not that far fetched.

I wouldn't go quite that far. It's more a case of guys not being able to be creative because creativity with the puck always carries a risk. If you flub up a pass or make a poor shot, the puck is down in your end in seconds and can lead to a goal against or a bad penalty. If that happens, you get chewed out by the coach or stapled to the bench for the rest of the game. This team is horribly predictable with the puck because of that.

Put some ketamine in Torts' water bottle before the game (yes, I'm joking, but you know what I mean) and get him to calm the hell down. If a guy out there is trying to do something good and it messes up, or tries to defend a teammate or get the team going and takes a penalty, he shouldn't be scolded like a child on the bench right afterwards. Allow some of the talent to show what they can do.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
I wouldn't go quite that far. It's more a case of guys not being able to be creative because creativity with the puck always carries a risk. If you flub up a pass or make a poor shot, the puck is down in your end in seconds and can lead to a goal against or a bad penalty. If that happens, you get chewed out by the coach or stapled to the bench for the rest of the game. This team is horribly predictable with the puck because of that.

Put some ketamine in Torts' water bottle before the game (yes, I'm joking, but you know what I mean) and get him to calm the hell down. If a guy out there is trying to do something good and it messes up, or tries to defend a teammate or get the team going and takes a penalty, he shouldn't be scolded like a child on the bench right afterwards. Allow some of the talent to show what they can do.

:handclap: Outstanding.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
You could blame the dismal PP on the lack of skill for some time maybe, but right now that's just laughable. A PP with Gaborik, Nash and Richards just has to do more! Overall the offensive "system" really doesn't do much. When Renney was fired, main reasons were the bad offense and the inept powerplay. He was ridiculed for his line juggling (anyone remember the Renney line generator?) and the boring style of play.

When Tortorella came in it was said that he would spark our offense and fix the PP. Now nearly four years later, things aren't much different than they were under Renney at the later stages. Only the roster got significantly better (just look at the line generator...). Of course it's hard to really criticise Torts after he made it to the ECF, but all in all the same problems still prevail.

It really makes you wonder what's wrong in Rangerland that they simply cannot put a potent offense or powerplay together ever since Jagr left.

Vickers8

Horrible effort, poor Staal last night had to cover up for about 10 MDZ defensive lapses, no energy, no forecheck...back to square one...by the way Gilroy should have gotten more ice time he kept jumping into the play in the offensive zone but Torts plays his favorites...those 2 posts when we were down 2-0 in the 3rd period killed us...too many penalties, PP is non-existent and wtf is wrong with Steps, he's not doing anything...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How do you expect the powerplay to do anything when you roll 2 lines most of the game? The guys have no legs to actually move or even look around to try and do something.

Dorado*

TORTS should be held accountable for the PP , which sucks again under his tenure .
He should be FIRED .

tlallstar6

Jan 24, 2008
Yeah this is turning out to be a huge waste of $50. Every game so far has been blacked out. I also can't watch it on my PS3.

Aside from that with regards to the game :laugh: I knew this was coming. We have one REALLY good top line, and than 3 3rd/4th lines with Callahan and Kreider out.

Games on NHL Network are blacked out on GCL. They've almost all been available on NHL Network when they weren't on NBC/NBCSports. I feel for you guys out of the market who do not have NHL Network. Looks like the schedule doesn't have us on that channel as much though.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Fine, let's assume it was only Kreider, Dubi, Erixon and a 1st. You've now added Nash but lost Kreider and Dubi from our playoff roster. Who do you fill the missing spot with...and are you really still expecting more than 5 goals from Nash in the playoffs? Bottom line is we wouldn't have been any better in hindsight.

If you only concerned with goals, but I think Nash would have brought more to the table than that.

Taking the heat off Gaborik wouldn't have done anything. He was injured.

Since Gabby was hurt, he would need to have less pressure, so acquiring Nash would have helped on two fronts, taking heat off of Gabby, and providing extra scoring and puck control if gabby was too hurt to be effective.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
TORTS should be held accountable for the PP , which sucks again under his tenure .
He should be FIRED .

Nah, he is a good coach. He just needs and 'off' switch while he's on the bench. (Another coach on the bench to give him an elbow to the gut once in a while would do the trick.)

I was lucky enough to watch him during his TSN stint before joining the Rangers. He really does think and analyze the game at a high level. He is passionate, has a strong eye for detail, and will throw himself on the proverbial grenade to shield his team from the media (which you desperately need in NYC). Problem is, he gets too passionate on the bench, and reacts before his brain has a chance to filter what is going on.

The players are human, and constant public criticism will wear anyone down. He really needs to go back to his earlier style when he leans next to a guy (basically between the players) and talks to him out of view of the camera.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I didn't look through the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been touched upon, but the one positive I take from this game is the fact that Gilroy played well in the #6D role. Torts even trusted him enough to give him 10 mins of ice time, double what Bickel/Eminger usually gets.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If you only concerned with goals, but I think Nash would have brought more to the table than that.

So less goals but more elsewhere? How does that translate into helping a goal starved team win more games? Just don't see it. Knowing what we do now (about Kreider's playoff performance) I can't agree that we would have been better off last season with Nash but without Kreider and some other starter.

Since Gabby was hurt, he would need to have less pressure, so acquiring Nash would have helped on two fronts, taking heat off of Gabby, and providing extra scoring and puck control if gabby was too hurt to be effective.

How was taking pressure off Gabby going to get him to play better with his broken labrum? The guy was neutered...more or less pressure wasn't the cure, a knife was.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Gilroy with the puck has never been my concern, its when we're hemmed in our own zone and trying to get the puck out that it becomes a serious liability.

Realize

IT's okay for me because I am watching all Bolts games, too.
NYR games blackouted --> 2 so far (1 against PIT, 1 against PHI)
TBL games blackouted --> zeroooo

And right now I am sad to say that the Bolts games are much more fun to watch (yet)..

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Also take into account our 4th line and 3rd pairing played a lot in the last ten minutes when we basically gave up.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Rangers PP starts clicking and they become a dangerous team. PP needs help big time. It's pathetic watching these guys all standing in one spot and not moving just waiting for the puck to come to them. I think my beer league team could even stop the Rangers PP.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Rangers PP starts clicking and they become a dangerous team. PP needs help big time. It's pathetic watching these guys all standing in one spot and not moving just waiting for the puck to come to them. I think my beer league team could even stop the Rangers PP.

You can't stop what's not moving. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad