Post-Game Talk: Hire a PP "Consultant"

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
I like how the PP is simply doomed to be a trash fire no matter who is the coach or what the roster looks like

Renney era featuring Drury, Gomez, Naslund, and Rozsival
Torts era featuring Gabby, Richards, Nash, MDZ, McDonagh

Huge change from back to front (including the supporting players) and they just can't get anything done and it's so incredibly frustrating

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's just blows my mind that we've gone from "safe is death" to this in Tortorella's tenure here. If you're going to play dump and chase hockey, you need to actually be able to chase the puck down. This nonsense where we skate the puck through the neutral zone, dump it in, and then watch the other team go back the other way with it is ridiculous. What happened to the relentless forecheck we had last season?

This team isn't an adequate PP away from being a real contender. Richards looks old. Gaborik can't find space. Our third line can't generate sustained pressure. Our fourth line is too slow to create a forecheck. Our second line is invisible. It's a mess all the way around.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's just blows my mind that we've gone from "safe is death" to this in Tortorella's tenure here. If you're going to play dump and chase hockey, you need to actually be able to chase the puck down. This nonsense where we skate the puck through the neutral zone, dump it in, and then watch the other team go back the other way with it is ridiculous. What happened to the relentless forecheck we had last season?

Agreed to the max. It's mind-boggling how many times a game this team just gives up possession of the puck.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
They really are playing nothing at all like last year and I don't get why Tortorella felt the need for the change.

Maybe the roster as it's assembled isn't capable of playing last year's game, which is a problem. If you don't have the firepower to load up on goals, you need to find other ways to win. This year's team is slower, can't score, can't forecheck, can't hit, and has no ability to pressure the other team.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

This team isn't an adequate PP away from being a real contender. Richards looks old. Gaborik can't find space. Our third line can't generate sustained pressure. Our fourth line is too slow to create a forecheck. Our second line is invisible. It's a mess all the way around.

It's on Columbus, Philly, and Montreal.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Adam Oates did a dreadful job coaching the PP for New Jersey. There's no guarantee Messier would do a great job for us either.

No guarantee. But he's on the pay role already and he's the 2nd all time pts in the history of the NHL. I'm sure he has some thoughts. Not sure what else he does besides waiting around for Slats to name him his successor. Make this the Messier Mission du jour. The Poutine Powerplay

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
TORTS should be held accountable for the PP , which sucks again under his tenure .
He should be FIRED .

What about all the good stuff he does? ECF in the spring Fired 7 games in after a lockout?

Stay the course, stay healthy and fix the PP

*Bob Richards*

I'll be worried if Callahan and Kreider come back healthy and the team still looks lost.

As for now, injuries and a tough schedule will keep you at 3-4.

1940rip

Oct 16, 2008
1940rip, PP Consultant Extraordinaire.

After scrutinizing the NYR PP these past few years, 1940rip PP Consultant Extraordinaire recommends the following PP changes:

1) SHOOT THE F@#KING PUCK!
2) If your last name is Del Zotto: HIT THE F@#KING NET
3) If you don't have the puck...MOVE YOUR FEET AND FIND A SEAM
4) Why are Gabi and Nash handling the puck and feeding Richards and Step? Reverse.
5) If Gabi receives a feed on his backhand on the PP, whoever made the pass should have to skate suicides after the game.

Wash, rinse, repeat and we'll hit 20+% efficiency in no time.

:D

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
I'll be worried if Callahan and Kreider come back healthy and the team still looks lost.

As for now, injuries and a tough schedule will keep you at 3-4.

See, I don't think we'd have that much of "depth" issues if Kreider played half of how he did in the playoffs. He plays with his intensity, granted, the playoffs are a different animal, we'd be in good shape with our 2nd and with our "depth". Pyatt's a freaking good player. So is Hagelin. Boyle's doing well and so is Halpern.

The team needs consistency and a fix on the power play.

*Bob Richards*

See, I don't think we'd have that much of "depth" issues if Kreider played half of how he did in the playoffs. He plays with his intensity, granted, the playoffs are a different animal, we'd be in good shape with our 2nd and with our "depth". Pyatt's a freaking good player. So is Hagelin. Boyle's doing well and so is Halpern.

The team needs consistency and a fix on the power play.

When Cally and CK return, I'd still like to drop one of Nash/Gaborik down to the 2nd line. Having Ferrari/Pyatt slide down would be beautiful. Rupp playing on the 3rd just ain't going to fly.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
When Cally and CK return, I'd still like to drop one of Nash/Gaborik down to the 2nd line. Having Ferrari/Pyatt slide down would be beautiful. Rupp playing on the 3rd just ain't going to fly.

Of course, have that dynamic balance. But you can't go wrong with have the Nash - Richards - Gaborik line intact either and have a Hagelin/Kreider - Stepan - Callahan/Kreider 2nd line.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yup, hoping Gabby and Nash are split up. Let one of them play with Kreider, or if need be start Chris on the 3rd and go from there. Sure, we won't have 1 ridiculous line...but we should have 3 that can put the puck in the net with some regularity.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I really think our PP needs a point man who can get good hard shots through to the net( ala Chara, Buff, Karlsson, Weber, etc.).....something the Ranger's PP always seems to be lacking.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
the way this teams playing is making it alot less painful thinking ahead to how im not going to be able to watch any of the playoffs this year.:help:

You really think based on 7 games (against some of the toughest competition in the conference) that the Rangers (who are 1 game under .500) aren't making the playoffs? Really?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
You really think based on 7 games (against some of the toughest competition in the conference) that the Rangers (who are 1 game under .500) aren't making the playoffs? Really?

dont believe i said their not going to make the playoffs, but in two games against the penguins they look pretty much inferior, i have no doubt they will make the playoffs just getting past pit will be a problem and with our luck well play them in the first or second round. also given the way their playing with no secondary scoring what so ever when defenses get physical during the playoffs and shut down our top heavy first line whose going to score goals. i simply said given the way their playing right now, they dont look like their going to be a tough team to play in the playoffs like they were last year, thus making it less of a pain that im literally not going to be able to watch any of the playoffs this year.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I really think our PP needs a point man who can get good hard shots through to the net( ala Chara, Buff, Karlsson, Weber, etc.).....something the Ranger's PP always seems to be lacking.

It's deeper than that. But I agree that's something that needs to be added. Right now Stralman has our best cannon from the point and that's a problem.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
dont believe i said their not going to make the playoffs, but in two games against the penguins they look pretty much inferior, i have no doubt they will make the playoffs just getting past pit will be a problem and with our luck well play them in the first or second round. also given the way their playing with no secondary scoring what so ever when defenses get physical during the playoffs and shut down our top heavy first line whose going to score goals. i simply said given the way their playing right now, they dont look like their going to be a tough team to play in the playoffs like they were last year, thus making it less of a pain that im literally not going to be able to watch any of the playoffs this year.

So why won't you be able to watch the playoffs?

Anyway, yes, last night was an early season litmus test...and they failed. But the playoffs are still more than 40 games away. A lot can change between now and then. The key is to be playing your best hockey heading in to the post-season, not the regular season. That said, this team has a lot of work to do. But I still believe they can get there.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
So why won't you be able to watch the playoffs?

Anyway, yes, last night was an early season litmus test...and they failed. But the playoffs are still more than 40 games away. A lot can change between now and then. The key is to be playing your best hockey heading in to the post-season, not the regular season. That said, this team has a lot of work to do. But I still believe they can get there.

im in the merchant marine academy, have to go on an internship thats likely going to go from the beginning of may through july, ill be sailing around with no connection to the outside world which means no hockey :banghead:

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
I don't think Kreider/Cally being gone have THAT much of an impact. Cally, yes, but its not like he was dominating thus far.

There is bigger issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad