News Article: Hinote gone/Larsen hired as AC (post #47)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I know it's none of my business, but I'd still like to know why Hinote is leaving an NHL coaching gig

- "personal family matter"
- moving to Chicago
- wife's family is from Chicago
- As far as I know, Hinote has no other connection to Chicago

As far as I would venture to guess, its either a serious health situation in his wife's family and she wanted to be close or she just doesn't want to live in Columbus anymore and wanted to be close to family.

I'm guessing he thinks he can get some sort of job within the Wolves or Blackhawks organizations that necessarily won't be behind the bench. Otherwise it is a curious decision to completely walk away from a hockey job when your entire life has been based around the activity since you were a kid. Its not like tons of these jobs at the highest level are available.

I still think we can do better from a coaching standpoint. It was nice of them to bring him in and give him an opportunity to be a coach but this team is in a position where they don't need someone learning to be an NHL coach on the fly anymore.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd prefer he stayed with Springfield, but it is a good move as long as they have someone good to become the HC of Springfield.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Larsen is so good at getting young talent ready for the NHL, then wouldn't he be better used in Springfield where we are about to send a slew of talented youngsters?

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus
If Larsen is so good at getting young talent ready for the NHL, then wouldn't he be better used in Springfield where we are about to send a slew of talented youngsters?

My thought as well... He seemed to know how to develop players for the CBJ style system so their transition was nearly flawless. Oh well, I'm sure hes good considering his track record in the AHL.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Larsen deserves the job, and if they replace Larsen in the AHL with one of his assistants, which seems likely, then they will have seen first hand what Lars does and should be able to do the same.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH

I get what your saying but guys like Larsen don't stay in the AHL forever. Better to promote him and keep him in the organization than to let him go develope some other teams players.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, this is Larsen's last year in his contract. He'll be in the NHL sooner rather than later, so keeping him in the AHL may not be possible.

It would be nice having him up to be with guys like Erixon, Goloubef, Atkinson, Prout, etc. He's spent significant time with them in the AHL.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I wish we could have kept him as the HC in Springfield, but he is a good addition to the staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad