News Article: Hinote gone/Larsen hired as AC (post #47)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not to be skeptical but it sounds like his wife wanted to go back to Chicago. Hinote isn't from there.

That being said, I think we can upgrade the coaching there and I definitely agree with hiring to replace Keith Acton from 2 years ago too.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
didn't see that coming, he seemed like a good players coach. Disappointed that we are losing him, but thankfully we have a front office who can replace him competently.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe hiring a coach with some offense background would make sense? Couldn't hurt.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll be honest, I don't know what the coaches roles were. What exactly was Hinote's job? Coaching the 3rd and 4th line? Its not like he was a defenseman or much of a scorer in his career.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'll be honest, I don't know what the coaches roles were. What exactly was Hinote's job? Coaching the 3rd and 4th line? Its not like he was a defenseman or much of a scorer in his career.

I think his job was to say "Good job boys", "way to go boys", etc when guys came off the ice. :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Hartsberg was the defense and PK I believe, and Hinote was forwards and powerplay.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There's been a running joke about Hinote within myself and a few friends which started when he was the 3rd assistant coach up in the box.

"We can see everything's going terribly, why can't he?" We were just kidding though.

Good guy, there are a number of intriguing guys that could see a promotion. I'd be really interested in seeing Brad Larsen come up and be an NHL assistant coach, but he could probably be holding out for an eventual HC spot.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
There's been a running joke about Hinote within myself and a few friends which started when he was the 3rd assistant coach up in the box.

"We can see everything's going terribly, why can't he?" We were just kidding though.

Good guy, there are a number of intriguing guys that could see a promotion. I'd be really interested in seeing Brad Larsen come up and be an NHL assistant coach, but he could probably be holding out for an eventual HC spot.

Isn't he more valuable as the Springfield head coach? I have always thought lower level minor league coaches, in baseball for example, are really important as they help develop the players the most.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Isn't he more valuable as the Springfield head coach? I have always thought lower level minor league coaches, in baseball for example, are really important as they help develop the players the most.
I agree, the ideal thing would be for Larsen to stay in Springfield. We also don't know how his style would fit with Richards who is pretty laid back.

That said, Brad Larsen only has 1 year left on his contract. If he doesn't want to be extended in Springy, do they try to keep him in the organization by promoting him?

A dream scenario would be Bylsma getting fired in Pittsburgh and then Richards hiring his buddy.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Weird, thought he was a good coach and thought he might be a HC candidate in the future. Any thinking as to giving Brad Larsen the job? Or should he stay with the kids

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Disappointed that we won't have his exuberance behind the bench any more. I'm sure he played a valuable role on the coaching staff.

That said, he was an assistant coach. A suitable replacement should be able to be found. I hope they fill both "open" AC spots.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Like him, sorry to see him go. That's a couple pretty good assistants gone.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Not that I was particularly unhappy with Hinote's work, but perhaps this will be an opportunity to get even more experienced coaching in here by being able to seek out another Acton or Hartsburg type, a lifer. Happy Trails to Dan.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This thread needs the GIF of Hinote tackling/shoving/hugging the other coaches and trainers after, I thought, one of the playoff wins. But I can't find it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He was fun to watch on the bench, outside of that he could have been the worst coach ever for all that we really know. I'll miss his excitement, but I don't really think this has much impact on the team.

Put a placeholder in that spot until DMac retires, that would impress me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad