Highs and lows of Blues history

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
High- I've been a Blues "fan" my whole life (as much as a child can really be a fan) but didn't really become a real die until around 08. So a personal favorite of mine was being at the series clincher against the sharks, in particular the Perron go ahead goal in the third. It was so loud and exciting, unlike anything I'd personally experienced.

Low-Basically everything after that. In particular this past PO's. Having to turn off game 6 because the third was so ugly was a bad, bad feeling.

Great choice! I love re-watching the back to back goals in that game. Freaking electric atmosphere, and the first series win in a very long time.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Man, this thread would have ruined my day if it wasn't for 2019.

The highlight is obviously winning the cup, though the Gunnarsson OT goal is my favorite moment of that two-month saga...I was at the watch party at Enterprise and that place was explosive after that goal. Sometimes when I'm down, I'll watch a KSDK live feed of the 5-6 minutes after the goal:

and it's at 4:51 where the Let's Go Blues chant goes a cappella, then the horn sounds...I nearly tear up with happiness each time I watch it.

Low point: Objectively it was probably as a 12-13 year old watching the Tkachuk/Weight era Blues get manhandled in 02/03. I really started following hockey religiously after the 01 run (I was more of a baseball kid before then, McGwire and all that), and those series just proved that the core I loved so much would never get over the hump.

Subjectively, it was the first round bounce against the Wild. We came into the playoffs with some quality wins, we seemingly had center depth (Lehtera wasn't yet useless, Stastny was centering the third line) and we folded like a lawnchair against the Wild. Just no heart, no nothing, it was pathetic and demoralizing.

Reactions: jura

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
That - and the threat of the team moving to Saskatoon, and The Pronger Trade, and the Gilmour trade, and The Joey Mullen trade, and also losing Scott Stevens when Brenden Shanahan was signed, Losing Adam Oates was also bad.

High points: Glenn Hall in 1967-68 finals vs. Canadiens, President's Cup team, this coming season. Berenson's 6 goal game, Ron Stewart and Ron Atwell for Red Berenson and Barc Plager.
yup... LOTS of bad moves by this organization over the years.. but the highs.. felt soooooo good. what a great sport, and great that we have a team in it
I can't imagine not having a hockey team in town

Jim ODonnell

Dec 20, 2018
Low points - Turek against Colorado
Yzerman / Casey game 7 Double OT
MacInnis eye injury (My favorite player of all time, even before he came here.)

High points-
Monday night miracle
The 5 goal come back in the third period against the Leafs.
Courtnall running the goalie against LA
Cup Parade in June 2015.

• Yzerman / Casey game 7 Double OT
My all-time lowest moment as a Blues fan

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It was such a crap shot that any NHL goalie should have saved too. Such a terrible end.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If not for a heroic effort on the Anaheim bench, almost unanimously our lowest memory would have been the night Bouwmeester died during a game. I still can't believe he recovered unscathed from what would have been a death sentence almost every other place he spent time that day. What other place could it have happened where he'd have had immediate medical attention and a defibrillator that accessible? I can't help but think how we probably wouldn't even dare to make a list like this if things had gone differently.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Lowlights from during my fandom:

Watching the Blues almost move to some postage-stamp city in Canada (100K? We call those towns here...) with the dawning realization there was nothing we as fans could do. All thanks to a group of executives from Purina whose pictures should be under the heading "duplicitous" in a dictionary. In particular one (the most self-aggrandizing son of a ***** I've ever had the misfortune to deal with) whose grave I hope still bears the upside down Blues flag a previous fan so helpfully put there.

Then watching that same group refuse to send anyone to the 1983 draft all because the NHL quite intelligently blocked the sale to freaking Saskatoon. Otherwise that franchise would have folded or been relocated to KC or something by now.
Also Saskatoon is a stupid name.

Trading off Joe Mullen and Perry Turnbull because they wanted more than minimum wage.

Trading off Doug Gilmour because of the attempted fraud that the people responsible for were never punished enough for.

Letting Jacques Demers walk because he actually thought he was a decent coach and deserved salary equivalent to his ability. The Blues thought anyone could do what he did...whereupon he moves to Detroit and wins the Jack Adams.
Yeah.

Trading off Dirk, Momesso, Courtnall and Ronning for Butcher and Quinn, all because the Professor listened entirely too much to that meathead Sutter. Thanks to Sutter's inability to understand that as much as hard work is a skill, the ability to put the puck in the net (or keep it out) is a more important skill basically insured the Blues were going to be a one line team. This cost them against Minnesota.
Also, this would only be the first time Vancouver would take advantage of the Blues. Three years later the Blues would have to trade away Brown and Hedican (why, an entire line of defense!) for Janney after he refused to report to the Canucks. I'm glad his wife left him.

Losing Scott Stevens because the NHL wanted to make an example of the Blues. Lou Lameirello should have asked for Hull, Oates and Stevens, Judge Houston would have no doubt awarded them to the Devils as well.
Then, years later, the Blues would receive another knife-wound thanks to the NHL wanting to make an example and Pat Quinn being more concerned with screwing the Blues over on the way out than he had been with running the team for the past however many years.
The Butcher trade was made because Sutter was not getting along with one of the players traded and wanted him gone, and he also coveted a player on defense like Butcher, so he went around Mr Caron to Jack Quinn take make something happen

the same thing happened in the Stevens/Shanahan fiasco
Sutter and Quinn wanted to sign Shanahan
Mr Caron told them not to, as the Devils would ask for Stevens and would get him, the league would make sure of it
he went on his annual fishing trip to Canada in the summer, there were no outside communications, and when he got back he found out we had signed Shanahan and he was pissed
years later he would still get fired up about the whole thing, he believed if we hadn't done this Stevens would have lead us to a Cup

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Low point: intentionally forfeiting an entire draft worth of picks
This, and the entire saga with Purina, including the announced move to Saskatoon and then abandoning the team after the league said "he11 no," is the low point for those of us old enough to have gone through it. If I remember right, the vote was something like 15-3 to nix the sale and move, which kept the ownerless Blues in St. Louis.

The high point for me is on June 12, 2019 with about 12 seconds left when Doc Emrick says "and the Blues at the bench are realizing they are going to be champions." I was sitting in a hotel room in south New Jersey, on a business trip, having watched the first two periods in a bar and wanted to be alone to watch the third period. I started to accept what was about to happen with goal #3, absolutely realized it when it became 4-0, but it really didn't sink in until those words came out.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This, and the entire saga with Purina, including the announced move to Saskatoon and then abandoning the team after the league said "he11 no," is the low point for those of us old enough to have gone through it. If I remember right, the vote was something like 15-3 to nix the sale and move, which kept the ownerless Blues in St. Louis.

The high point for me is on June 12, 2019 with about 12 seconds left when Doc Emrick says "and the Blues at the bench are realizing they are going to be champions." I was sitting in a hotel room in south New Jersey, on a business trip, having watched the first two periods in a bar and wanted to be alone to watch the third period. I started to accept what was about to happen with goal #3, absolutely realized it when it became 4-0, but it really didn't sink in until those words came out.
I was moving, the house (and TV) packed up. A buddy invited me to come watch Game 7 at his house. I preferred to watch alone at home on my tablet because I just didn't want to experience the heartache of losing that game in public.

Reactions: Sgt Schultz

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The death of Bob Gassoff.

That is the all-time low for me. I heard the news on the radio while I was shaving. The announcer was clearly not a hockey fan because he mispronounced the last name, putting the accent on the second syllable. He called him "Robert GassOFF." Because of that, it took me a moment to realize who he meant.

Then, it dawned on me. The very young, super tough, Gassoff was dead!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad