Highs and lows of Blues history

Lucifer T Longfellow

Mar 30, 2011
My high point has to be the entire 86 playoffs, I was in 6th grade at that time and it was the first time I ever really started to follow the Blues. I didn't even know who most of the players were and I followed them from there opening round vs the North Stars, then go on to beat the Maple leafs in 7. Finally they played Calgary and had the "Monday night Miracle". Back then the home games were not on TV so I stayed up late to listen to it on the radio. Then they came soooooo close to tying it up in game 7 to go to the finals.

Kinda sad really, that my high point is an dramatic comeback to stave off elimination only to lose the series in the next game. By comparison that would be like Cardinal fans only having the Pujols homer off Lidge to cherish. What I am trying to say it that I think I am ready for a new high point.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Long time lurker, liked this topic so thought I would finally join the party.

Highs:
Going to my first game in 1996. Game 6 against Detroit. Yes the game before the Yzerman dagger. Lost that game too, but was immediately hooked. First pro game I ever went to in any sport, still my most favorite memory.

Game 2 against the Sharks a couple years ago. After not winning a playoff game in years, the first goal they scored it felt like the roof was going to blow off. The brawl at the end was insane as well.

Hiring of Hitchcock. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But it was looking like a pretty average season under Payne, and Hitchcock came in and really did an amazing job.

But most of all, watching Brett Hull do his thing any and every game. Such an exciting player to watch.

Lows:
Only 26, so I was young and didn't really know what was happening during the Butcher trade or the Mike Keenan era. But reading back into it, I definitely don't know if I could have handled it. Such a dark time with terrible decisions being made.

Seeing the team get gutted and go through the re-building process. Just had to buckle in and suffer through a few rough years.

This past season probably stands out the most. Losing to a team I thought we were better than in the series. So many chances to put them away, and failing to score the big goal. Obviously the Miller trade. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but the guy really was a let-down.

Seeing all the players or personnel come through the organization, only to go off and win the Cup with another franchise. Makes you want to pull your hair out.

Lots of other lows, but those aren't fun as fun to talk about. It's all part of loving your team.

Welcome :)

I don't think I'd watch any more hockey if my first game was that '96 series against Detroit :laugh:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Not even going to waste my time with this, since the Blues have 47 years on disappointment after disappointment as the curse continues.

There have been more disappointments than highs but it's okay to admit there were some good times.

This is a serious question; I don't mean it to be rude and it really goes out to anyone who feels similar to how you feel, but if the Blues franchise is and has only been "47 years of disappointment" to you then why do you follow them? Again, I mean this as an honest question and not trying to be rude. I'm just curious.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The death of Bob Gassoff was definitely my worst moment as a Blues fan.

I was shaving on Memorial Day (or the day after) and I had the radio playing. The guy reading the news wasn't a hockey fan, apparently, because he put the emphasis on the "off" part of the name when he said that a Blues player named Robert GassOFF had been killed in motorcycle accident. It took me a moment to realize who he meant.

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Long time lurker, liked this topic so thought I would finally join the party.

Highs:
Going to my first game in 1996. Game 6 against Detroit. Yes the game before the Yzerman dagger. Lost that game too, but was immediately hooked. First pro game I ever went to in any sport, still my most favorite memory.

Game 2 against the Sharks a couple years ago. After not winning a playoff game in years, the first goal they scored it felt like the roof was going to blow off. The brawl at the end was insane as well.

Hiring of Hitchcock. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But it was looking like a pretty average season under Payne, and Hitchcock came in and really did an amazing job.

But most of all, watching Brett Hull do his thing any and every game. Such an exciting player to watch.

Lows:
Only 26, so I was young and didn't really know what was happening during the Butcher trade or the Mike Keenan era. But reading back into it, I definitely don't know if I could have handled it. Such a dark time with terrible decisions being made.

Seeing the team get gutted and go through the re-building process. Just had to buckle in and suffer through a few rough years.

This past season probably stands out the most. Losing to a team I thought we were better than in the series. So many chances to put them away, and failing to score the big goal. Obviously the Miller trade. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but the guy really was a let-down.

Seeing all the players or personnel come through the organization, only to go off and win the Cup with another franchise. Makes you want to pull your hair out.

Lots of other lows, but those aren't fun as fun to talk about. It's all part of loving your team.

Welcome! What a great thing to be able to attend a playoff game as your first ever game. You must have been absolutely amazed by the atmosphere.

My 'highs and lows of Blues history' don't feature anything prior to the late 90s simply because I didn't discover the awesomeness of this franchise until that time. For me, the lowest of lows during my time supporting the team was probably the 7 game playoff exit to San Jose in 2000, having won the presidents trophy that same season. At that stage I had no access to footage of the actual games so was just going off stats and reports, let us just say I basically assumed that the presidents trophy would guarantee playoff success! One play from this playoff series did actually make it onto Australian TV news..... Bergevin :cry:

In terms of highs, I have two. Firstly, this game from 2009....

I was fortunate enough to catch this live on TV (my first live TV viewing of a Blues game!). This game excited the pants off of me, and sold me on the fact that this team would be a contender soon enough. Secondly, the fantastic finish to the 2008-09 season when the Blues had been 13th (?) at the All-star break and rallied all the way to 5th spot, and a matchup with the Nucks in the playoffs (can't remember the result of that series though:sarcasm:).

I am hoping we all get to add a more impressive 'high' sometime in June this season.

Reactions: Ranksu

Yoko Ono*

There have been more disappointments than highs but it's okay to admit there were some good times.

This is a serious question; I don't mean it to be rude and it really goes out to anyone who feels similar to how you feel, but if the Blues franchise is and has only been "47 years of disappointment" to you then why do you follow them? Again, I mean this as an honest question and not trying to be rude. I'm just curious.

I have followed them for the 47 years just get used to being the "Cubs" of hockey cause that is what this franchise is.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I have followed them for the 47 years just get used to being the "Cubs" of hockey cause that is what this franchise is.

And I've followed the club, from a serious standpoint, since I was 8 years old. Of course it's disappointing to not have a Cup yet and not much playoff success. But I certainly wouldn't categorize the Blues franchise as "47 years of disappointment" and that's it. If I did, I wouldn't be following the team. What would be the point if I can't recall any good moments at all?

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
History highs and lows

Been a diehard fan since my first game in 1971. My brother scored straight A's as a high school freshman and my parents rewarded him with 2 tickets on Christmas Day in the upper circle against the Sabres and the famed French Connection. He had to take his 7 year old baby brother and I've been a loyal, yet depressed fan ever since. Of course history will show it was a 4-4 tie, so why should I be surprised the Blues have been a .500 franchise ever since? As you probably concluded, I am the dumb one. He got straight A's, I've been getting f'd ever since.

As for the highs and lows, many have already been mentioned, but I disagree with those posts that classify the trades that were intended to improve the team as lows. (Butcher, Quinn, Ryan Miller, etc) I am more distraught over the moves where money, greed, off-ice behaviors changed our chemistry. (Gilmour, Liut, Pronger, Oates,etc).

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The end of that game, after being literally in last place in the Western Conference, to clinch the playoff spot (and ultimately the 6th seed after they beat Colorado the next game) brought tears to my eyes. It was the culmination of so much effort and overcoming seemingly impossible odds. Murray deserves a lot of credit for holding that team together and coaxing that kind of 2nd half effort.

I'm a relatively new Blues fan (since the Kitchen days...I'm probably one of the few new fans the team attracted during their suckiest lowpoint) but that is probably the most special moment I've seen.

I was present at the Game 2 this past season, and when Tarasenko tied it up....the electricity and energy were incredible. I imagine if I'd been there for the Blue Jackets game it would have felt similar.

The guys on the ice could barely bring the puck up ice, and there were still several minutes left. But you knew there was zero chance Columbus was going to score.

It sounds cheesy, but that season is one of the highlights of my life. The run we went on in the second half was just unbelievable. But the reason I love that season so much goes beyond the Blues. I was going to school at Missouri State, had just turned 21 and lived next door to the house all of my friends hung out at. From January-April every Blues game was a party because they just wouldn't lose. That year was amazing and tons of my great memories are tied to nights following a Blues win.

I made the drive in to St. Louis for the clinching game and teared up at the end. I have been a fan of the team for over 20 years now and have been to more games than I can count. I have never felt an atmosphere like the Scott that night and doubt I will again until the Blues win the Cup.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It sounds cheesy, but that season is one of the highlights of my life. The run we went on in the second half was just unbelievable. But the reason I love that season so much goes beyond the Blues. I was going to school at Missouri State, had just turned 21 and lived next door to the house all of my friends hung out at. From January-April every Blues game was a party because they just wouldn't lose. That year was amazing and tons of my great memories are tied to nights following a Blues win.

I made the drive in to St. Louis for the clinching game and teared up at the end. I have been a fan of the team for over 20 years now and have been to more games than I can count. I have never felt an atmosphere like the Scott that night and doubt I will again until the Blues win the Cup.

I think lots of Blues fans shed some tears that night. I was sitting in my living room in New Mexico, watching the game I'd recorded later that night. It felt like witnessing the culmination of a miracle, and I was so proud of that team.

It was a kick to the gut how they got swept out of the playoffs, but looking back now I realize that team was just totally spent.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think lots of Blues fans shed some tears that night. I was sitting in my living room in New Mexico, watching the game I'd recorded later that night. It felt like witnessing the culmination of a miracle, and I was so proud of that team.

It was a kick to the gut how they got swept out of the playoffs, but looking back now I realize that team was just totally spent.

I still think they should have sat Mason down for that last game against Colorado. I would have rested half the team, but I understand going for the win. At the end of the day, Vancouver was in their prime and would have beaten us no matter what. Getting into the playoffs was a victory for that team and there was just nothing left.

I will say, that was one of the most hard fought sweeps I have ever seen. The games were close and it easily cold have gone an extra game or 2. But that team just wasn't good enough to actually compete for a Cup.

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
the seasons run into one another & I've been watching the blues since I was little boy in the early to mid 70's. My best memory was kicking LA in the groin in the playoffs one year, cuz i was there for all of the home games the "Keil Center" as it was called then was the loudest I've ever heard besides the ass whoopin we put on the avs figuratively and literally last november. Worst?? for me has to be watching Marc Bergevin score on our own net against Vancouver. I vaguely remember the yzerman goal.... I was in a bad marriage & couldn't focus on the team as much in those days... I remember being pissed, I just don't remember actually seeing it.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
I've never seen this thread & a lot of my highs/lows have been covered but one that I didn't see was the mention of Jamal Mayers tiger striped eyebrows during the 2001 playoffs. There's nothing about the playoffs that year that I want to remember.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
I've never seen this thread & a lot of my highs/lows have been covered but one that I didn't see was the mention of Jamal Mayers tiger striped eyebrows during the 2001 playoffs. There's nothing about the playoffs that year that I want to remember.
The Toronto Comeback is memorable.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This isn't the best moment in Blues history by any stretch, but it is my favorite.

The playoff clinching game against the Blue Jackets in 2008-2009. In order to clinch that night we had to win and Nashville had to lose. Nashville lost with about 8 minutes left in our game and we were winning 3-1. The Scott went absolutely nuts and I'm pretty sure the entire crowd was standing for the rest of the game. Columbus gave up with about 5 minutes left and allowed us to basically run out the clock.

That was the first trip back to the playoffs after the lockout ended our absurd playoff streak and was really rewarding for the fans that stuck with a few years of brutal hockey. As is Blues tradition, a great moment was soon followed by crushing disappointment when we got swept in the first round.
I had just turned 16 and will never forget that moment in the arena. I’ve never heard it louder.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I’m going to dig up your corpse after you die.
EDIT: God dammit Ranksu
And I will take photos of your recently-exhumed, rotting corpse and post them on HF.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TK 421

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
But in topic my low was Dustin Pennwr buzzer beater. I felt that point something died permanently inside of me.

Ofc Hawks beat us repeatedly at spring several years was painful and it slowly depresses me. 82 games watch at night + playoff round. So empty feelings.

Ofc high is Cup win + Maroon goal and ofc Captain clutch Stanley Cup winning goal by Finnish commentary

Blues syötti karvasta kalkkia ensimmäisen erän loppuhetkillä – Alex Pietrangelo veivasi St. Louisin kahden maalin johtoon

And playoffs when we finally beat Hawks and specially Brouwer goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad