Highest offensive potential btw Hishon and Colborne?

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
easily hishon, colborne is more of a project. if he does hit big numbers it'll be in 3 or so years. hishon has more offensive flair/skill, and will be playing on a team with a lot of offensive power too. I think they have the same chance of making the nhl next year, 50/50(if they both have a great offseason they should both make it imho)

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Tough call, Hishon is behind Stastny and Duchene on the depth chart so who knows if they'll even want him in their bottom 6 next year.

Colborne is on a team that needs a center in their top 6...

Even though Hishon is the more talented of the two Colborne may have a better chance to produce next season....but beyond that it's Hishon

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Tough call, Hishon is behind Stastny and Duchene on the depth chart so who knows if they'll even want him in their bottom 6 next year.

Colborne is on a team that needs a center in their top 6...

Even though Hishon is the more talented of the two Colborne may have a better chance to produce next season....but beyond that it's Hishon

Hishon won't be playing in the team's bottom 6, and he also likely isn't playing on the Avs next year.

Once he does get the call, most people envision him as a LWer anyways due to our C depth.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's weird because I rarely heard anything about Colborne having 'big time potential' until the Leafs acquired him. Coincidence?

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Colborne has a higher skill level. If he can get his game going, he is a physical player who can dominate all three zones. he has size, skill, shooting ability and his skillset compares favorably to a lot of the NHL's best big men. Will he ever achieve success in the NHL? To be seen, but he can be great player if he ever reaches his talent.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
It's weird because I rarely heard anything about Colborne having 'big time potential' until the Leafs acquired him. Coincidence?

Pretty sure Colborne had the Thornton comparisons thrown around him on draft day. He definitely has the potential to be a first line centre down the line but like most big players he needs some time to grow into his game.

Naturally Im biased on this issue because Hishon has been an absolute delight to watch for four years in Owen Sound. I guess his long term upside depends on how well he transitions to the pros... He has the ability, the passion, and the compete level to be a first line centre in the NHL, and he could surprise people with how quickly he jumps up (maybe like Skinner). But more likely He'll get some minor league seasoning. His size will always be a knock against him but honestly he has the skill set to one day be a St. Louis/Kane esque player.

To answer the question Id say Hishon has the higher offensive potential, but its just potential. Too early to say really for either player whether they can reach that potential.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretty sure Colborne had the Thornton comparisons thrown around him on draft day. He definitely has the potential to be a first line centre down the line but like most big players he needs some time to grow into his game.

Naturally Im biased on this issue because Hishon has been an absolute delight to watch for four years in Owen Sound. I guess his long term upside depends on how well he transitions to the pros... He has the ability, the passion, and the compete level to be a first line centre in the NHL, and he could surprise people with how quickly he jumps up (maybe like Skinner). But more likely He'll get some minor league seasoning. His size will always be a knock against him but honestly he has the skill set to one day be a St. Louis/Kane esque player.

To answer the question Id say Hishon has the higher offensive potential, but its just potential. Too early to say really for either player whether they can reach that potential.

Again, I don't know because I haven't seen much of Colborne, but I have a hard time believing he has that kind of projection if Boston was willing to package him with a 1st round pick for Kaberle.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Again, I don't know because I haven't seen much of Colborne, but I have a hard time believing he has that kind of projection if Boston was willing to package him with a 1st round pick for Kaberle.

From what I heard Burke wanted Colborne and Chiarelli was wanting to move Hamill. So it's not like they just threw him in.

Short term Colborne may be playing in the NHL first, and till the Avs clear some room in the top 6 Hishon may be back in juniors.

Oct 18, 2010

He was expendable for Boston, but most think they overpaid.

Bergeron
Krejci
Savard
Seguin

Colborne is under all of those guys and other than Savard don't look like they're going anytime soon.

Most didn't think Colborne would be coming back for Kaberle, but they could afford to overpay.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

He still does have big time potential but it's very unlikely he reaches it. I see him more of a 2nd liner... perhaps in in his late 20's he could be a guy that's a 1B center.

And people talked about his big time potential way before he became a Leaf. With his size and skill, there is no reason to think he doesn't have big time potential but it's unlikely he reaches there.

That Thornton comparison was at draft day but it wasn't like he was being projected as a Thornton V 2.0 for sure, it was just a comparison but if Colborne was like Thornton was at his age, then he would have been a top 3 pick.

He also had a tough year with Bruins AHL team + combined with Boston's center depth, they weren't as high on him anymore. He's doing well with the Marlies though, 6 goals and 4 assists in 11 games (out with concussion currently though).

Anyways, I would say Hishon has slightly higher offensive potential but I'd say it's unlikely either of them reach their potential and become a 1st liner.

mikeyeightseven

Dec 8, 2009
joe colbourne looks promising... but come on, hishons got tonnes of skill and potential offensively. when we move him to wing he gonna kill it beside either stazz or ducher. If Hishon werent injured last yr hed probably would have been a top 10 pick. definitely hishon but i think colbourne gets a crack at the show next yr. Someone said this before, he kinda projects to a brian boyle type player. we'll wait and see

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

Well you obviously haven't been around these boards long so that probably explains it. There has been a lot of talk about Colborne having high-end offensive potential (Joe Thornton "lite", was thrown around, for example) since he was drafted but in particular coming into this season which ended up being very disappointing for Colborne.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Colborne has a higher skill level. If he can get his game going, he is a physical player who can dominate all three zones. he has size, skill, shooting ability and his skillset compares favorably to a lot of the NHL's best big men. Will he ever achieve success in the NHL? To be seen, but he can be great player if he ever reaches his talent.

Just curious if you have ever seen Hishon play. I don't think Colborne is in the same league as Hishon when it comes to skill level.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hishon has better offensive potential but you can't overlook Colborne becoming a great all-around player with his size and skills.

KingJet*

Hishon, he reminds me a ton of Paul Kariya

I think Colbourne is more of a Todd Bertuzzi or David Backes

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Double :help: to the bolded.

JMcLeaf

I can't really comment on Hishon, but Colborne isn't gritty enough to be like Bert or Backes. Right now I see him as Blake Wheeler 2.0 but hopefully I'm wrong and he becomes a more effective player.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

Colborne is soft... nothing like Backes or Bertuzzi at all. He plays a skill game. Someone mentioned Lecavalier as a comparison which I don't think is too bad if you remove Lecavalier two best years.

I wish he was gritty and physical like Backes. It would make him one hell of a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad