Highest hockey IQ

Highest offensive hockey IQ

• Total voters

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Actually 0 other players can do that. Stop downplaying goals that look simple but are actually level 10/10 difficulty.

No other player in the history of the game has ever done that shot. 0. Not Mario, nor Gretzky nor Howe. No one has seen a goalie get injured, pick up on helmet location in the crease and angle of his head into the net before the ref blows the whistle.

It's funny how posters think this is so easy. The difficulty level is 10/10. There is a reason only Sid has done this so far.

Gretzky has done smart things with a stick and a puck that Crosby wouldn't think of in his dream.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
This makes more sense to me than the usual "small playmaker" requirement which is how Marner ended up on this list.

Agreed. Not to be a homer or suggest he belongs on the list but a player like Giroux has excelled because of his smarts despite his skating, size, shot etc.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Kane is mostly skill. Crosby and McDavid's IQ is what really takes them to the next level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have to go Crosby due to longevity.

Pettersson is very close, but when in doubt, you go with the proven historically elite player.

Kucherov and Marner aren't that far off either.

McDavid, MacKinnon and Kane have above-average hockey IQ's, but I wouldn't put any of them in the category of the others. It seems like people too often add an extremely high hockey IQ to every extremely good hockey player. They don't all have elite hockey IQ's because they are elite players.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Half the list shouldn't be there. Guys like Stastny and O'Reilly should be on the list. Players who don't necessarily have the best physical tools.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
every single player in the league can do that. If that wasn’t Crosby in the clip you wouldn’t give a ****. Crosby could probably shoot the puck off someone’s ass and in the net and people like you would be praising him like it’s something only he can do.
I imagined that goalie thought wow, what a jerk

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Offensively is Crosby; Defensively is Bergeron.

upload_2019-12-2_10-54-28.png

upload_2019-12-2_10-54-47.png

Offensively its Crosby .....

:laugh::lol:

when does pure ignorance stop when posting on HF.

Crosby's time is done. He cant think, and play the game at McDavid's level at creating offense.

sorry man.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane is mostly skill. Crosby and McDavid's IQ is what really takes them to the next level.
McDavid is more pure speed/agility/hands generating a ridiculous amount of high-danger chances. He has high hockey IQ, but he's more dependent on physical skills than either Crosby or Kane.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
let me quote you .

offensively its Crosby.

Thats a solid joke.

You may be trying too hard...

I am simply saying in terms of offensive IQ Crosby has to be #1... not raw talent or production.

Crosby almost certainly began playing hockey before McDavid was even born. It isn't an insult to McDavid.

Reactions: sanscosm

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Half the list shouldn't be there. Guys like Stastny and O'Reilly should be on the list. Players who don't necessarily have the best physical tools.

This.

It's also understandable that players past their peak (Giroux, Backstrom) get forgotten, and let's not get into retired ones.

It's however mindboggling that Eichel has not been mentioned. My clear top of the list followed by Pettersson. Stone would be there too.

On this topic, but a side note, it was pure joy to watch Getzlaf in his prime - such a fantastic combination of top tier physicality and hockey-IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad