Highest hockey IQ

Highest offensive hockey IQ

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
My take / opinion.

As good as Connor McDavid is, i don't think his hockey IQ is that high tbh.
He operates with tons of speed, fastest skater in the NHL and has crazy amount of skill,
produces highlightreel clips, is a great passer...however...some might mistake that as high hockey sense/IQ.

For example (from young star forwards) Barzal & DeBrincat both have higher hockey IQ what McDavid
actually, many star players in the NHL has higher hockey IQ what McDavid.

From that list above; Crosby.

This is honestly a ridiculous opinion. His vision, patience, anticipation etc. Are off the charts good, the only way I could understand this opinion would be if you only watched the odd highlight of McDavid and full games of the others.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Yeah, but the question isn’t “what player’s best asset is their offensive IQ?” It’s asking about which player, out of all players in the league, has the highest IQ.

Patrice Bergeron’s best asset is clearly his IQ, but even as a Bruins fan, I could never rank him above Crosby in that category.
True, and that's why I didn't vote for Pettersson. However, he has to be up there considering his high production is mostly based on IQ. I feel like many responses here are distracted by other qualities. Like McDavid is obviously great at pretty much everything, but in terms of pure offensive IQ he's not in my top 3.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I went with Kucherov , he manages to pull off a lot of heady and fancy plays at exactly the right timing. Hes not really a physical specimen.

Crosby is great for sure but he has a lot of hardcore grind in his game where he uses his insane lower body strenght.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I voted McDavid but I could see votes for Crosby, Kane and Kucherov. Also Gaudreau should be on here and he might even be the answer, same with Barkov.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Then you probably also consider that svechnikov lacross bull**** goal as display of skill

Skill is not the same as IQ. Svechnikov's lacrosse is high skill but not high iq

Crosby has 4 players blocking his passing lanes and he exposes the whole team by saying f*** it and firing right at the side of the goalies helmet. High Iq because he reads the coverage perfectly and reads the position of Lundqvist head and in his mind creates a play that converts into a goal. The play is almost impossible to pull off but Sid does it because of how he reads the play.

Same thing here

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Skill is not the same as IQ. Svechnikov's lacrosse is high skill but not high iq

Crosby has 4 players blocking his passing lanes and he exposes the whole team by saying **** it and firing right at the side of the goalies helmet. High Iq because he reads the coverage perfectly and reads the position of Lundqvist head and in his mind creates a play that converts into a goal. The play is almost impossible to pull off but Sid does it because of how he reads the play.

Same thing here

Lol did that goal count ?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

Crosby has 4 players blocking his passing lanes and he exposes the whole team by saying **** it and firing right at the side of the goalies helmet. High Iq because he reads the coverage perfectly and reads the position of Lundqvist head and in his mind creates a play that converts into a goal. The play is almost impossible to pull off but Sid does it because of how he reads the play.

Same thing here

every single player in the league can do that. If that wasn’t Crosby in the clip you wouldn’t give a shit. Crosby could probably shoot the puck off someone’s ass and in the net and people like you would be praising him like it’s something only he can do.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
every single player in the league can do that. If that wasn’t Crosby in the clip you wouldn’t give a ****. Crosby could probably shoot the puck off someone’s ass and in the net and people like you would be praising him like it’s something only he can do.
Uh, yeah, no...

illpucks

May 26, 2011
every single player in the league can do that. If that wasn’t Crosby in the clip you wouldn’t give a ****. Crosby could probably shoot the puck off someone’s ass and in the net and people like you would be praising him like it’s something only he can do.

Actually 0 other players can do that. Stop downplaying goals that look simple but are actually level 10/10 difficulty.

No other player in the history of the game has ever done that shot. 0. Not Mario, nor Gretzky nor Howe. No one has seen a goalie get injured, pick up on helmet location in the crease and angle of his head into the net before the ref blows the whistle.

It's funny how posters think this is so easy. The difficulty level is 10/10. There is a reason only Sid has done this so far.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I haven't even watched the clip illpucks is referring to, but something that anyone can do but few actually have would indicate a high IQ play.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Actually 0 other players can do that. Stop downplaying goals that look simple but are actually level 10/10 difficulty.

No other player in the history of the game has ever done that shot. 0. Not Mario, nor Gretzky nor Howe. No one has seen a goalie get injured, pick up on helmet location in the crease and angle of his head into the net before the ref blows the whistle.

It's funny how posters think this is so easy. The difficulty level is 10/10. There is a reason only Sid has done this so far.
Are you saying that Crosby saw goalie being injured and still aimed for his helmet, to get a deflection from it?

And still wonder, why no one else does that??? That's really classless act, if would be true..

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
IMO there should be more players on that list that are limited physically but are at star/superstar levels because of what's between their ears.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
IMO there should be more players on that list that are limited physically but are at star/superstar levels because of what's between their ears.

This makes more sense to me than the usual "small playmaker" requirement which is how Marner ended up on this list.

Reactions: Peter Man

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This really should be "Highest hockey IQ after Crosby". His IQ is as high as anyone not named Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr and is probably his best individual talent.

This is accurate. There's absolutely zero case to be made for any active player having a higher hockey IQ than Crosby. He's basically the Albert Einstein of grinders.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad