Higher hockey IQ: Draisaitl vs McDavid

IQ: Draisaitl vs McDavid

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I guess it depends. Draisaitl is better a slowing the game down, and finding soft spots in the offensive zone but the speed that McDavid plays and processes the game at is unrivaled.
I went with McDavid but both are exceptionally smart.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think you could argue that they're the same or that Draisaitl is slightly ahead.

Draisaitl plays a more cerebral game than McDavid but both of their hockey IQs are some of the highest in the league.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I guess it depends. Draisaitl is better a slowing the game down, and finding soft spots in the offensive zone but the speed that McDavid plays and processes the game at is unrivaled.
I went with McDavid but both are exceptionally smart.

If McDavid processed the game as fast as he skates, he would have been better, than Gretzky...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If we are discussing something to do with hockey Connor Mcdavid will almost always be better than the counterpart in the regard
Not really. He has a couple skills that are off the charts but he's not a monster in all things. He's not even a 50% face off guy, his D is suspect and there are many better goal scorers.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Not really. He has a couple skills that are off the charts but he's not a monster in all things. He's not even a 50% face off guy, his D is suspect and there are many better goal scorers.

Stick handling
Skating
53 % on the dot
Passing
Hockey IQ
Intensity
No one has scored more goals then Connor other then Pastrnak the last 5 seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
Drai has a more traditional top tier playmaking style Thornton like. Not sure about the iq but passing precision I would go Draisaitl.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Stick handling
Skating
53 % on the dot
Passing
Hockey IQ
Intensity
No one has scored more goals then Connor other then Pastrnak the last 5 seasons.
The only thing on that list that he's the best at is skating. And, no, your stat about goals is not true. He's actually not even close to being the goals leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
McDavid will win any poll that has his name in it.

McDavid or or any NHL player has ever lived
McDavid or Jesus Christ
McDavid or Margot Robbie

Its McDavid!!!!!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They are close it's almost impossible to tell who is truly smarter but I think they are top 5 for sure with Crosby and Kucherov, and Kane/Panarin. I voted McDavid though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Draisaitl easily has higher hockey IQ. You can see this by watching one period of Oilers hockey. His passing and timing sense are top of the league by a mile. McDavid more makes plays at supersonic speed. Not especially high hockey IQ, but often catches opponents off guard due to his precision and speed of execution.

To all the intellectuals voting for McDavid, why is his performance not infinitely better than Draisaitl's if all his physical tools and abilities are far better, as well as hockey IQ? Shouldn't he be like doubling Draisaitl in points?

Reactions: perseus

illpucks

May 26, 2011
McDavid will win any poll that has his name in it.

McDavid or or any NHL player has ever lived
McDavid or Jesus Christ
McDavid or Margot Robbie

Its McDavid!!!!!
McDavid lost a recent poll with Mario tho

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
McDavid, even tho Drai is top tier himself. It's just that McDavid can also completly burn an entire team and score a goal, 200ft away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad