High Sticking Should NOT be a Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If accidental high sticks wouldn't be a penalty anymore, that would only lead to more intentional high sticks which would lead to more eye injuries etc. Sounds like a great plan.
intentional high sticks should be called, not accidental ones. how would it lead to more intentional high sticks?

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
If accidental high sticks wouldn't be a penalty anymore, that would only lead to more intentional high sticks which would lead to more eye injuries etc. Sounds like a great plan.

While partially true, accidental highsticks would go up dramatically because it would promote dangerous stick play, which clearly the league is trying to diminish.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
If it's not intentional why would it be a penalty? Just carry on with the game. Sticks are going to fly around when skating or trying to score so I don't think high sticking should be a penalty.

Thank you! This is why I come to hfboards. For insightful, paradigm changing opinions from all the many people who should be general managers.

My only suggestion is via addition.

Because your amazing plan has one TINY, TINY flaw, in that people could "accidentally on purpose" (thanks Larry) swing the stick into ones grill piece... I think it should be based upon intent. I think when a so called high sticking infraction occurs, the play continues until the next organic whistle. Including goals or any thing. And after play stops, a review takes place wherein a lie detector test is administered to determine if a player had intent or not. The determination will lead to the original play resuming, or a penalty being issued. A goal would either remain and nullify a penalty or be retracted when necessisary.

Perhaps if this became abused, we could turn it into a coaches challenge.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
While partially true, accidental highsticks would go up dramatically because it would promote dangerous stick play, which clearly the league is trying to diminish.

Nah man. I'm with the OP. Players should be able to windmill deke their sticks through the air with wreckless abandon. If a defencemen gets in the way of some one who has the puck and they are trying to stop, too bad. That's their problem. Plus with fights on the decline, eliminating the high sticking penalty would outrageously increase blood letting and probably ultimately reignite fighting and enforcers. I think all these fast skilled players need a counter balance. Bring back 70s hockey but more brutal and trouble seeking.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
If it's not intentional why would it be a penalty? Just carry on with the game. Sticks are going to fly around when skating or trying to score so I don't think high sticking should be a penalty.
Just wondering if you have ever played hockey at all? The point is you have tk have control of your stick. Same as if you slio and accidently throw someone into the boards.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
intentional high sticks should be called, not accidental ones. how would it lead to more intentional high sticks?
Because the refs are humans and can't be 100% sure whether it's intentional or not. There are certain players in the league who would definitely take their time to train to make a high stick look accidental.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

silliest thread in a while

and I would suggest you have not played the game at a serious level with how you phrased it As a player you need to be in control of your stick always

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is that you, Kerry Fraser?
I feel this post is not getting enough love.
hatsoff.gif

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Getting rid of helmets would help far more. And no, I am not being sarcastic.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lol this has to be a joke.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

IIRC Duncan Kieth tried to say both the Carter and the Coyle stick-to-face- incidents were "accidents" . Oopsie sorry about that lumberjack swing there....

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I don't see the logic in expecting referees to know whether or not a high-stick was intentional but not expecting players to be responsible for their sticks at all times.

Officiating in the NHL is already pretty bad, generally-speaking. Why create more grey area when you can simply stick with telling players to not swing their sticks around?

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
The game would have more scoring if you didn't have to put the puck into the net to score. I think it should count as a goal if you get the puck past the icing line.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
lol getting high sticked while wearing a cage will still give u a jolt. getting highsticked without a cage f***ing hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad