High Sticking Should NOT be a Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Let's just forego penalties altogether. Icing and offsides too, just like in NHL '96 when you'd get sick of all the stoppages and BS penalties when you played the computer.

giphy.webp

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Um players are gonna be less careful about their sticks then.... it may be an accident but it's a good penalty bc it stops intentional high sticks.

Imagine tkatchuk... he would be taking ppls eyes out every other game if there was no penalty.

What a shocker that Tkachuk is mentioned.

Guess he’s a dirty POS after two love taps. Good hell.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think this is honestly highly feasible.

Except, there would probably be a ridiculous spike in "accidental" high sticks.

Which would then result in the league having to create a penalty for accidental high sticks.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
If it's not intentional why would it be a penalty? Just carry on with the game. Sticks are going to fly around when skating or trying to score so I don't think high sticking should be a penalty.
How do you plan on proving it is or it isn't intentional?
-No Mr referee I wasn't trying to hit his nose with my stick to prevent the breakaway, it just happened.
-its okay son, things happen, no penalty
-mr referee you're the best!

Vertain

Mar 28, 2013
Vermont
This thread reminds me of that 80's classic: Do fries Go With That Shake. Slightly amusing, but not much meat on it.

I like the jockstrap idea. though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if its not intentional? its called you are responsible for your own stick. hitting guys in the head with your stick is dangerous. eyes and teeth are lost over that stuff. mass numbers of stitches. The NHLPA would never sign off on that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i agree with the op. i also think icings should be banned. the game would move a lot quicker with it gone.

Lost in this thread is this gem. This would definitely not lead to teams that are ahead in the third (or perhaps sooner) dumping the puck the length of the ice every chance they get.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Um, a lot of penalties are accidental: high sticking, tripping, interference at the blue line, sometimes boarding, some hookings... pretty much everything but roughing and intent to injure. Some guys like landeskog think everything they do is an accident.

Sticks gotta stay low. This was a bold (and ridiculous) topic.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Lost in this thread is this gem. This would definitely not lead to teams that are ahead in the third (or perhaps sooner) dumping the puck the length of the ice every chance they get.

Dude! In my beer league playoff game (not a super competitive level) the other team got up a goal, kept icing it because it was running time, and then they'd drag it back to the faceoff dot. Like half of the third period time was the refs retrieving the puck. >:-(

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
You guys are all dumb. I agree with the OP. In fact I want to go further. Sticks should only be allowed to be swung at head level and must be done constantly through out the game. It will make "Face Off's" much more entertaining and watching the refs run for their lives would be entertainment enough for me.

The only time you shouldn't be swinging your stick wildly at your opponents face is when you are in the penalty box for not swinging your stick at peoples faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad