OT: Hi ! Any old posters still around?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
That's exactly how I started too, but it was after the 93 cup. Just missed that. I would love to see this group if the Habs ever came close the the finals.

Gerry still posts on alt.sports.hockey...along with a few others from back then.

Speaking of posts counts, wasn't scrubadam going for a record? I think he had like 1000 posts in his first week. :laugh: Or the girl from Arizona who was up to 60,000 after only a few years. That's a lot of time spent here.

If we are still talking about usenet alt.hockey, no one topped Gregg Quadrozzi for posting. Guy even replied to box score posts lol

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
What's the usernames of all the famous person who've been registred to this 1909Board.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Lurked for a really long time before joining in 2009 under the name Edmontreal, later changed to GoHomez.
Anyone remember the "This is Outhouse"-thread from one of the WJC?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Ah, I remember lurking on the old usenet group in the 90's. Reading the threads when the Habs won in '93 on a UNIX terminal at uni makes me nostalgic and a little sad. Those groups were the wild west compared to modern moderated forums.

Gerry Warner is a name that sticks out in my mind. Was he one of the users that went on to sports journalism?

I think I remember Gerry. no the two I think did something were Liam Mcacguire ( he was the one one the sens telecast, huge on the history of the game/trivia and a goalie expert and I think he lives in ottawa if I remember) and either Cam Penner or Sonny hays-eberts who was for a time a the U or Oregon ( sudent/faculty/staff I have no idea). I think one of them wrote a book but that was many years and many beers ago. I have a hard time keeping the " good " posters straight, the bad ones I will never forget. It was also my first regular discussion with european hockey fans, a swede and an finn ( I think). We did not get along. Lots of people came and went.

As a complete aside, I looked over the history of dejanews, I had the impression that what killed it was the influx of .binary groups where the content was completely unmoderated but apparently it was a series of bad business decisions moving away from usenet that killed it. too bad. I still make references to threads/early memes from it to this day and I am sure that less than 1/10 of one percent of the people ever get it ( unless they were in university within the same narrow window)

Reactions: Beige Van

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Ah, I remember lurking on the old usenet group in the 90's. Reading the threads when the Habs won in '93 on a UNIX terminal at uni makes me nostalgic and a little sad. Those groups were the wild west compared to modern moderated forums.

Gerry Warner is a name that sticks out in my mind. Was he one of the users that went on to sports journalism?

Gerry Warner now that is a blast from the past! I started on the old usenet group in the 90s as well...posted a lot in the early 2000s but basically just lurking from time to time over the last 10 years. Life got way too busy!

Reactions: knuck

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I've been mostly lurking since the late '90s. A few other names that I haven't seen mentioned are PTH, Psycho Joe, Chehabi, Garry Valk, Artie, Kafka, HABracadabra, Yeti, KILLger, and Fish on the Sand (who I beleive was OldGlory and then Komisaurus on the old boards).

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, I'm giving them the "it's not you, it's me" routine lol.

The thing is, I loved this team when they sucked in the early 00s. I loved them in the 2011-2012 debacle. This year, I don't know what it is. That's why I'm playing it safe and saying it's me.

I'll tell you what it is for me. In the 2000s I never felt that ownership didn't care or was only in it for the money The team sucked, but IMO was trying Since Mol$on has come back (remember the how the Habs were selling off players under Mol$on in the 90s like they were the Expos) and especially since they refused to fire MT initially and now with MB, the poor treatment of the fans and lack of caring comes from the top.

Reactions: optimus2861

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've been around since the late 90s, but one thread I'll never forget was around halloween time. This guy created a thread about how he got kicked out of a costume contest, and he was pretty upset about it.

He posted a pic of his costume. Turns out that he was dressed as a life sized bloody tampon!

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Alfie Turcotte

Jun 14, 2007
Montreal
Everywere Cocaïne and the Markov photoshop... Great memories. Was funnier back then.

I'm so mad at Bergevin. When I see the freaking 300$ "Place du centenaire"brick I bought, I want to throw it at G. Molson. But I still read what you guys have to say.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I've been around since the late 90s, but one thread I'll never forget was around halloween time. This guy created a thread about how he got kicked out of a costume contest, and he was pretty upset about it.

He posted a pic of his costume. Turns out that he was dressed as a life sized bloody tampon!
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Basszor

Sep 29, 2008
Montreal
Been around for a while but was mostly posting in the ball hockey thread setting up games lol. Had a few arguments with lafleurs guy the year they signed gionta,cammalleri, ect, about the contracts they got. Time flies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I remember these boards in 2001 when we all thought Mike Komisarek was supposed to be next Chris Pronger....

Well, there were a few of us who knew that wasn't going to happen and said so repeatedly :p

Which is just one example of me voicing my more unpopular opinions when I felt I was right (which was pretty much all the time). It was fun back in the day debating, even though a lot of emotional posters would make me feel like some sort of mustachio-wearing villain on this board.

I've been on HF since the very early days before these fancy forums, back when registration was optional on the "bulletin board". My most active days were spent primarily on the general forums, where I was a lot more appreciated than here. I've always considered myself more of a fan of the game than a fan of the Habs but I'm a born and bred Montrealer so I had a soft spot for this community.

These days I am much less involved with the game, have less inside contacts and don't watch nearly as many amateur and international games so since I don't like to talk out of my ass and I hate being wrong, I have become the lurker who comes here to learn a thing or two. The wheel is turning. HF has plenty of knowledgeable folks I enjoy reading. It's only overshadowed when people make things political and francophobia rears its ugly head. Otherwise, I still like this place a lot!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, there were a few of us who knew that wasn't going to happen and said so repeatedly :p

Which is just one example of me voicing my more unpopular opinions when I felt I was right (which was pretty much all the time). It was fun back in the day debating, even though a lot of emotional posters would make me feel like some sort of mustachio-wearing villain on this board.

I've been on HF since the very early days before these fancy forums, back when registration was optional on the "bulletin board". My most active days were spent primarily on the general forums, where I was a lot more appreciated than here. I've always considered myself more of a fan of the game than a fan of the Habs but I'm a born and bred Montrealer so I had a soft spot for this community.

These days I am much less involved with the game, have less inside contacts and don't watch nearly as many amateur and international games so since I don't like to talk out of my ass and I hate being wrong, I have become the lurker who comes here to learn a thing or two. The wheel is turning. HF has plenty of knowledgeable folks I enjoy reading. It's only overshadowed when people make things political and francophobia rears its ugly head. Otherwise, I still like this place a lot!

Wasn't it you who said PK had a real mental problem?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad