• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Meh. All it really tells me is that he’s probably going to have more goals than assists. It doesn’t really tell me that he’s always going to have “low” assist totals.
It tells me that he doesn't create offense for his teammates. Also makes me wonder how dependant he is on his teammates to create offense for him?

I'm not pretending to know what this kid will do in the NHL, I'm just pointing out the things that make me nervous about drafting him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It tells me that he doesn't create offense for his teammates. Also makes me wonder how dependant he is on his teammates to create offense for him?

I'm not pretending to know what this kid will do in the NHL, I'm just pointing out the things that make me nervous about drafting him.

It tells me he doesn’t create at the same level as he finishes it. It doesn’t tell me that he’s incapable of doing it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It tells me he doesn’t create at the same level as he finishes it. It doesn’t tell me that he’s incapable of doing it.
Then that leads me to ask 2 questions
1. How many good players do you know with that kind of goal/assist ratio?
2. What level would you expect him to "finish" at for this Wild team? 20 goals? 30? 40?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah and he also routinely put up 2-4 times as many goals as assists at the junior level... you can’t really compare anything else.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Alex f***ing Ovechkin has never been the 3rd best player on any line he has ever played on:dunno:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Then that leads me to ask 2 questions
1. How many good players do you know with that kind of goal/assist ratio?
2. What level would you expect him to "finish" at for this Wild team? 20 goals? 30? 40?

I don’t think #1 matters much. 26 assists is a respectable number for a USNTDP player. The ratio is fairly meaningless to me.

I think he’d finish as much as he would for almost any team. No idea what the actual number would be. And “this Wild team” might be a very different Wild in 3, 4, 5+ years.

You still might not like him, but in theory, would you like him more or less if he had 10-15 fewer goals but 10-15 more assists?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don’t think #1 matters much. 24 assists is a respectable number for a USNTDP player. The ratio is fairly meaningless to me.

I think he’d finish as much as he would for almost any team. No idea what the actual number would be. And “this Wild team” might be a very different Wild in 3, 4, 5+ years.

You still might not like him, but in theory, would you like him more or less if he had 10-15 fewer goals but 10-15 more assists?
You have to try to project him to the next level. Right now Caufield is playing with the best player in the world in his current league/age group. He's also playing on the deepest team in the history of his league/age group. He won't have close to either of those things if he plays for the Wild. What happens to him when his line isn't the 3 best players on the ice?

I strongly disagree with your opinion that he would score as much for Minnesota as he would anywhere else. My biggest concern about Caufield is that I think he needs a very good center to be effective. The Wild don't currently have one of those. I think he needs to be the 3rd option on a line to really be a great NHL player. Kid might score 50 playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. Don't see him scoring 30 with any combination of Wild players.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Alex ****ing Ovechkin has never been the 3rd best player on any line he has ever played on:dunno:
Well yeah, but I’m not comparing Ovechkin’s skill level to Caufield cause Ovechkin has been a top 5 talent for over a decade. I’m just comparing their play styles and goals vs assists totals.There’s a reason one went 1st overall and the other is going to go probably in the 10-15 range. If Caufield had size I’d venture he’d be a top 5 pick.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well yeah, but I’m not comparing Ovechkin’s skill level to Caufield cause Ovechkin has been a top 5 talent for over a decade. I’m just comparing their play styles and goals vs assists totals.There’s a reason one went 1st overall and the other is going to go probably in the 10-15 range. If Caufield had size I’d venture he’d be a top 5 pick.
The point I'm trying to make about the goal/assist ratio is, IMO, there's 3 reasons that a guy has more than twice as many goals as asssists.
1. He's that much better than anyone else on his team to the point that he's doing it all. Pretty common in younger kids, not so much at the higher levels. Although, Rick Nash did pretty much do it in his 2nd year in CBus. I don't think Caufield falls into this category.

2. He's playing with much better players that do things to create offense for him that he can't reciprocate. I don't think that this is him either, but you can't completely rule it out.

3. He's just that much better of a finisher than he is a creator. This is what I think he is. It's not a problem in the slightest if he's scoring 40-50 goals a season. Most wouldn't have a problem if it's 30 per. What happens if he's a 25 goal 15 assist player? Now you're talking about a smaller, slower, poor mans version of Jason Zucker.

I don't think the kid is a bust, I just don't know how much of his scoring is going to translate. How many goals would it take for a guy like him to be an asset? Can he get that many playing with the Wild's roster? That's why I really want him gone before the Wild even pick. That way it can never be a question to have to worry about.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The point I'm trying to make about the goal/assist ratio is, IMO, there's 3 reasons that a guy has more than twice as many goals as asssists.
1. He's that much better than anyone else on his team to the point that he's doing it all. Pretty common in younger kids, not so much at the higher levels. Although, Rick Nash did pretty much do it in his 2nd year in CBus. I don't think Caufield falls into this category.

2. He's playing with much better players that do things to create offense for him that he can't reciprocate. I don't think that this is him either, but you can't completely rule it out.

3. He's just that much better of a finisher than he is a creator. This is what I think he is. It's not a problem in the slightest if he's scoring 40-50 goals a season. Most wouldn't have a problem if it's 30 per. What happens if he's a 25 goal 15 assist player? Now you're talking about a smaller, slower, poor mans version of Jason Zucker.

I don't think the kid is a bust, I just don't know how much of his scoring is going to translate. How many goals would it take for a guy like him to be an asset? Can he get that many playing with the Wild's roster? That's why I really want him gone before the Wild even pick. That way it can never be a question to have to worry about.

Can't help but agree completely with you after reading through this discussion. And it's one of the questions I've had in my mind throughout the last few weeks as well. But it's why I'd probably take Newhook (or Boldy, if he were still there) before Caufield or Kaliyev. Boldy has fewer question marks around his game than the other three. And if I had to choose a question mark, I'd choose the one dominating a lesser league, unsure of whether or not it will transfer.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Can't help but agree completely with you after reading through this discussion. And it's one of the questions I've had in my mind throughout the last few weeks as well. But it's why I'd probably take Newhook (or Boldy, if he were still there) before Caufield or Kaliyev. Boldy has fewer question marks around his game than the other three. And if I had to choose a question mark, I'd choose the one dominating a lesser league, unsure of whether or not it will transfer.
I have no idea what to think about Newhook. It is nice to see that he's more than holding his own at the U18's. Don't love that he's going to BC next year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have no idea what to think about Newhook. It is nice to see that he's more than holding his own at the U18's. Don't love that he's going to BC next year.

What would you prefer he do?

For me, I love the way he plays against the BCHL competition. He controls play, he skates well, he scores, he can set guys up. I don't know how much he could prove against the CHL. The CHL, to me, is where guys learn to play like that. At least in the NCAA he'll be adding the element of bigger, stronger guys, hopefully learning how to play that game against those types.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

P10p

May 15, 2012
Like literally.... Kids got 65 goals in 59 games played and tacks another 26 assist on top of that... Not much room to seriously complain

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What would you prefer he do?

For me, I love the way he plays against the BCHL competition. He controls play, he skates well, he scores, he can set guys up. I don't know how much he could prove against the CHL. The CHL, to me, is where guys learn to play like that. At least in the NCAA he'll be adding the element of bigger, stronger guys, hopefully learning how to play that game against those types.
Go to Canada. NCAA won't hurt his game or anything. And it will teach him how to be a complete player, but if you're looking for a 1st line center? I would rather he goes to Juniors and beats up on those kids for a couple years to build confidence. BC has also been a shit show for a while now. Not a great place to be at the moment.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Go to Canada. NCAA won't hurt his game or anything. And it will teach him how to be a complete player, but if you're looking for a 1st line center? I would rather he goes to Juniors and beats up on those kids for a couple years to build confidence. BC has also been a **** show for a while now. Not a great place to be at the moment.

Fair enough. I don't actually disagree. I see the benefits to both NCAA and CHL. My one issue is that I think he already has the confidence, and I worry that if he goes to the CHL and continues beating up on kids for a couple more years, it may stall his development. You need to be challenged in order to get better, and I think the NCAA would be more of a challenge for him at this point.

I know this example isn't going to hit how I want it to, but Jost dominated the BCHL his draft year, then went to North Dakota and scored over a point per game as a freshman. Of course, he was playing with Boeser the whole year, but he looked legitimately good there too. It's why I have faith that Jost will recover and be a solid 2C.

I guess I don't really know what would be best for Newhook at this point. We can go back and forth with pros and cons to each route. We'll just have to wait and see.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You have to try to project him to the next level. Right now Caufield is playing with the best player in the world in his current league/age group. He's also playing on the deepest team in the history of his league/age group. He won't have close to either of those things if he plays for the Wild. What happens to him when his line isn't the 3 best players on the ice?

I strongly disagree with your opinion that he would score as much for Minnesota as he would anywhere else. My biggest concern about Caufield is that I think he needs a very good center to be effective. The Wild don't currently have one of those. I think he needs to be the 3rd option on a line to really be a great NHL player. Kid might score 50 playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. Don't see him scoring 30 with any combination of Wild players.
I have the same concerns with him. He’s one of the best finishers I’ve ever seen, but he doesn’t create much offense. You’d certainly like him to be a much better skater at 5’6.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fair enough. I don't actually disagree. I see the benefits to both NCAA and CHL. My one issue is that I think he already has the confidence, and I worry that if he goes to the CHL and continues beating up on kids for a couple more years, it may stall his development. You need to be challenged in order to get better, and I think the NCAA would be more of a challenge for him at this point.

I know this example isn't going to hit how I want it to, but Jost dominated the BCHL his draft year, then went to North Dakota and scored over a point per game as a freshman. Of course, he was playing with Boeser the whole year, but he looked legitimately good there too. It's why I have faith that Jost will recover and be a solid 2C.

I guess I don't really know what would be best for Newhook at this point. We can go back and forth with pros and cons to each route. We'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, Jost got pretty lucky that he walked into the 1st line with Boeser right from the start. If that's how it works out for Newhook, then he might be better off in college. He would be less likely to stay at center in the NCAA though as well.

NCAA is perfect for Caufield though. Kid can get used to playing agaisnt bigger and older players, and spend all of his free time eating and lifting.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Like literally.... Kids got 65 goals in 59 games played and tacks another 26 assist on top of that... Not much room to seriously complain

No one's complaining. Just because his goal scoring totals are high doesn't mean there aren't valid questions and criticisms surrounding his game.

P10p

May 15, 2012
No one's complaining. Just because his goal scoring totals are high doesn't mean there aren't valid questions and criticisms surrounding his game.

Complaining about assists is one area where you shouldn't complain considering his overall offensive output.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I guess I'm more willing to bet he's a 30+ goal scorer than most. His scoring touch is just that good. I also don't think his assist totals are anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad