• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I guess I'm more willing to bet he's a 30+ goal scorer than most. His scoring touch is just that good. I also don't think his assist totals are anything to worry about.
Who is he playing with in Minnesota to score 30 a season?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Boldy is the safest pick, but we have to get a top C. Newhook isn't a sure thing, but he would be the best bet to be a first line C that we've got(maybe). Caufield and Kaliyev might be the next great snipers, or not... again, we've got Fiala, Donato, Greenway, Kunin, KK, Zucker, Parise...all wingers.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Boldy is the safest pick, but we have to get a top C. Newhook isn't a sure thing, but he would be the best bet to be a first line C that we've got(maybe). Caufield and Kaliyev might be the next great snipers, or not... again, we've got Fiala, Donato, Greenway, Kunin, KK, Zucker, Parise...all wingers.
You can't force that to happen though. Just because you need a #1 center, doesn't mean that Newhook will be that guy. 1st rounders have to be used to take the best NHL'er you can find.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ugh, so needy :sarcasm:
IMO- This team needs a 1st line. The D is as good a group as there is in the NHL. Would like to add a better backup to push Dubnyk, but the goaltending shouldn't be a major concern. The bottom 3 lines would be very good if you're using everyone from the current lineup. Add 3 first line players to this team and you have a contender. I believe that Kaprizov is going to be one of those players. It would be extrememly helpful if #12 this draft could be one of those players. I don't love the idea of Caufield with Kaprizov.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
IMO- This team needs a 1st line. The D is as good a group as there is in the NHL. Would like to add a better backup to push Dubnyk, but the goaltending shouldn't be a major concern. The bottom 3 lines would be very good if you're using everyone from the current lineup. Add 3 first line players to this team and you have a contender. I believe that Kaprizov is going to be one of those players. It would be extrememly helpful if #12 this draft could be one of those players. I don't love the idea of Caufield with Kaprizov.
I actually think Caufield with Kaprizov would be absolute magic. Just the ever so elusive 1C continues to be an issue in this situation. I saw tactixhd, an NHL game series YouTuber, put up his mock draft that had us taking Krebs at 12. Interesting enough, Turcotte was available at #7. I'd be calling up Buffalo and offering up something decent to either move up or somehow get that pick. Taking Krebs wouldn't be a bad thing if that fell through.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I actually think Caufield with Kaprizov would be absolute magic. Just the ever so elusive 1C continues to be an issue in this situation. I saw tactixhd, an NHL game series YouTuber, put up his mock draft that had us taking Krebs at 12. Interesting enough, Turcotte was available at #7. I'd be calling up Buffalo and offering up something decent to either move up or somehow get that pick. Taking Krebs wouldn't be a bad thing if that fell through.
I would rather have Kaprizov play with someone who would be better at getting him the puck.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
US team is playing Russia right now on NHL Network. Zegras is back in the lineup, and the US team added a mystery guest:highclap:

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Speaking of guys who often put up 2-3x as many goals as assists at the juniors level.
You still haven't figured out the point of that discussion yet? You're not really talking about seperate 6-7 game tournaments to try and make your point, are you?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You still haven't figured out the point of that discussion yet? You're not really talking about seperate 6-7 game tournaments to try and make your point, are you?
I mean, I'm not the one using NHL games as a point of reference to compare to a guy who hasn't played in the NHL yet :dunno: I'm trying to frame common ground for comparison. I get that you need playmakers to feed these types of guys the puck. But I find those a lot easier to obtain than goal scorers. Not to mention the ever growing need for right handed players on this roster make Boldy and Kaliyev a little less attractive, especially considering there is a goal scoring phenom at the same skill level that is right handed. We could add Boldy or Kaliyev to the long list of left shot wingers playing the right side. Left shot wingers: Parise, Fiala, Donato, Zucker, Greenway, Foligno, Boldy/Kaliyev. Right shot wingers: Kunin, uh... Brown? And it's not like we can just get rid of this problem. You could trade three of our current top 9 left shot wingers and still fill out the left side with quality NHL players. Parise is stuck here till the end of time. Fiala and Donato were just acquired and likely won't be traded. Greenway isn't going anywhere unless a center of equal age and ability is coming back. There's the entire left side already. The counter argument might be that when Boldy/Kaliyev are NHL ready then we might need left shot wingers. I call BS, Fiala/Donato/Greenway are all 22/23. They are here for the long run. Parise is here for six more seasons with a full NMC.

So, assuming we take a lefty of some sort this draft, when do we start acquiring right handed players? Or do we ignore that problem and hope it goes away? I mean, we could always bring back Aberg :sarcasm:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I mean, I'm not the one using NHL games as a point of reference to compare to a guy who hasn't played in the NHL yet :dunno: I'm trying to frame common ground for comparison. I get that you need playmakers to feed these types of guys the puck. But I find those a lot easier to obtain than goal scorers. Not to mention the ever growing need for right handed players on this roster make Boldy and Kaliyev a little less attractive, especially considering there is a goal scoring phenom at the same skill level that is right handed. We could add Boldy or Kaliyev to the long list of left shot wingers playing the right side. Left shot wingers: Parise, Fiala, Donato, Zucker, Greenway, Foligno, Boldy/Kaliyev. Right shot wingers: Kunin, uh... Brown? And it's not like we can just get rid of this problem. You could trade three of our current top 9 left shot wingers and still fill out the left side with quality NHL players. Parise is stuck here till the end of time. Fiala and Donato were just acquired and likely won't be traded. Greenway isn't going anywhere unless a center of equal age and ability is coming back. There's the entire left side already. The counter argument might be that when Boldy/Kaliyev are NHL ready then we might need left shot wingers. I call BS, Fiala/Donato/Greenway are all 22/23. They are here for the long run. Parise is here for six more seasons with a full NMC.

So, assuming we take a lefty of some sort this draft, when do we start acquiring right handed players? Or do we ignore that problem and hope it goes away? I mean, we could always bring back Aberg :sarcasm:
You clearly don't understand the discussion being had about the low number of assists. I'm done trying to explain it to you.

I'm not interested in making left shot vs right shot the priority with the #12 pick in the draft. Just like I'm not interested in making C vs W vs D a priority. Take the best player available. Simple as that. There isn't a 1st line LW in any of those names you listed, so as far as I'm concerned, 1st line LW is just as much a need as any other position.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You clearly don't understand the discussion being had about the low number of assists. I'm done trying to explain it to you.

I'm not interested in making left shot vs right shot the priority with the #12 pick in the draft. Just like I'm not interested in making C vs W vs D a priority. Take the best player available. Simple as that. There isn't a 1st line LW in any of those names you listed, so as far as I'm concerned, 1st line LW is just as much a need as any other position.
No, I got it. I just think it is a lousy point to make.

I'm making it a priority when the players are all the same skill level. How about this one: Boldy has 76 points for the US U18 team, Caufield has 65 goals alone. Both played 59 games. Caufield has 15 more points playing on the same team. Caufield broke six-time 30+ goal scorer Phil Kessel's program record for goals. He shattered Matthews' record for goals in a single season. Do you think that's only because he played with Hughes? If so, does Boldy get knocked for playing with Turcotte then?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No, I got it. I just think it is a lousy point to make.

I'm making it a priority when the players are all the same skill level. How about this one: Boldy has 76 points for the US U18 team, Caufield has 65 goals alone. Both played 59 games. Caufield has 15 more points playing on the same team. Caufield broke six-time 30+ goal scorer Phil Kessel's program record for goals. He shattered Matthews' record for goals in a single season. Do you think that's only because he played with Hughes? If so, does Boldy get knocked for playing with Turcotte then?
I think they all need to get "knocked" for playing on that team. The top 6 they had today was f***ing ridiculous for an U18 team. There's a reason all of the scoring records are being broken, and it isn't just one guy making it happen. There's also no chance you could've watched the last 3 games and think that Caufield has the same skill level as Boldy? Just not possible. What happens when Caufield and his 2 linemates aren't the 3 best players on the ice? What happens when Caufiled actually has to go into the corner to try and cycle, or win a puck battle? What happens when Caufield has to backcheck, or even enter his own zone? What happens when NHL teams figure him out and force him to carry the puck? I'm not saying the kid can't do any of these things, but he doesn't heave to do any of them on this team.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think they all need to get "knocked" for playing on that team. The top 6 they had today was ****ing ridiculous for an U18 team. There's a reason all of the scoring records are being broken, and it isn't just one guy making it happen. There's also no chance you could've watched the last 3 games and think that Caufield has the same skill level as Boldy? Just not possible. What happens when Caufield and his 2 linemates aren't the 3 best players on the ice? What happens when Caufiled actually has to go into the corner to try and cycle, or win a puck battle? What happens when Caufield has to backcheck, or even enter his own zone? What happens when NHL teams figure him out and force him to carry the puck? I'm not saying the kid can't do any of these things, but he doesn't heave to do any of them on this team.
Well, I don't have NHL network and I couldn't find a stream so watching the games are proving rather difficult.

To answer your questions, I guess I'll get back to you throughout next year when I am actually able to watch him play on a regular basis. Though, it's hard to tell if defense is optional at Wisconsin or if they just suck at it. I think you make a legit point about going to the boards and winning puck battles. That's the downside I see with Caufield because of his size, but that is why you stick him with some bigger bodies.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
I say newhook.

Honestly I see nothing special account caufield that shows me he will excel in the pros. For his size he really has to have a specific set of skills to do well.

Most people on here are acting like caufield is next Kane... Which I just don't see him even close to as far as play style.

As much as I love granlund I think he may be a better example of what caufield could become. Except I don't know if he will even do that well considering he has his current stellar teammates propping up his skills and hiding his weaknesses.

Honestly viewing the tape I don't see that he has close to the pure skill of the players I just mentioned which is needed at the NHL level when you are his size in order to succeed.

Stats are nice and all but there are examples in so many sports where they don't mean crap from going from one level to the next.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wouldn’t be mad if we drafted caufield, but it’s obvoius to me after just a few viewings that boldy and newhook have a far superior skill set(outside of shot) and both have better physical attributes, especially boldy. That guy is an athlete.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, that probably fits. Debrincat is the most common I’ve seen, but there’s a lot of recency in that.
That's because they're both tiny. Other than both having great shots, DeBrincat plays nothing like Caufield. Caufiled plays the game with his mind. DeBrincat plays it 100 MPH and out of control.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just saw Central Scouting's rankings; they release their finals before the U18. They have Caufield one spot ahead of Boldy, but interesting, they also have Kaliyev ahead of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad