HFVan Hockey League 2019/20 (1 Team Available - Apply Inside!)

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
HFVHL 2019 Draft Report Card Part 7
Ottawa Senators - Rolo​

:sens
Drafted:
23rd - Philip Broberg 68th - Matvei Guskov 109th - Michael Vukojevic
148th - Cade Webber

Weyl:
Broberg is not a fantasy type of player, same with Vukojevic. I think there were better choices instead of either. Guskov is interesting with good tools however his production at the junior level is concerning. Personally I don’t see how this draft helps Ottawa in the future. Webber is a massive dman and another who is taking the BCHL route before going NCAA. It’ll be curious to see if any of these dmen are able to produce at a pro level however it is unfair to completely write out Broberg yet as he is highly coveted by IRL NHL GMs.
Grade: C

Try: Not a Broberg fan at all. Especially not in a league where points are so important, which brings me to Vukojevic who is also a very defensive oriented player and I don’t really see the offense coming with him where Broberg could still develop some. Guskov is a decent shout in the third round, but not sure what his top end could be, most likely nothing more than a bottom six center. The value in real life would be pretty good for these picks, but in this fantasy league I’m not super big on any of them.
Grade: C-

ED: Ottawa grabs Broberg with their 1st round selection, who is a polarizing prospect to many. While he could be dynamic, the risk associated is fairly high, and he may end up being a better hockey player than fantasy selection. Guskov has the hockey smarts and is a good selection in the third, however his totals for junior are very underwhelming, so next year will be very telling with him. Ottawa needed more picks in this draft, with a very bare cupboard of prospects on hand. Unfortunately, the risk is too high with some of these picks, and this draft could end up being a complete bust for them if Broberg doesn’t pan out.
Philadelphia Flyers - JayBeagleFanAccount​

:flyers
Drafted:
25th - Ilya Nikolayev 29th - Connor McMichael 33rd - Albin Grewe
59th - Mads Sogaard 90th - Ilya Konovalov 116th - Henri Nikkanen

Weyl: The flyers tore down their team this draft, acquire more picks and kicking off their rebuild. Nikolayev and McMichael were good value and taken right around where they should realistically go. Grewe went way too high, I personally see him as a mid/late 2nd and there were way better players to go right after. Sogaard and Konovalov were solid goalie additions who could look like steals in the future. Nikkanen was another late round pick who many people sought after and could look real nice in a few years. Overall a pretty straight forward draft, while acquiring no defenders they got players who have the potential to be heavy fantasy point contributors.
Grade: B+

Try: The two picks I like here are McMichael and Nikkanen. McMichael has the potential to be a legitimate second line scoring center, a steal at 29 in my opinion. Nikkanen is a player whi already has some pro experience in Finland’s top league and has shown flashes of a solid prospect, a steal so late. Unfortunately I’m just not a fan of his other early picks. Nikolayev is a defensive center who doesn’t have the highest offensive projection, not a player I would touch with a first round pick. He slipped just about as far as I thought he would in real life which says something considering defense matters way more there. Albin Grewe is a very mistake prone forward who dazzles on occasion with some stick skill. I don’t think the IQ is there, but the gritty pest is there and so is the defense. Sogaard and Konovalov are great picks in theory, you’d assume one pans out, but with Luukkonen ahead of them I really would’ve liked a defenseman or two to balance the cupboard as they start to tear down.
Grade: B-

ED: Philly took their team in a different direction this offseason and started their rebuild. With a couple late 1sts and an early 2nd, Philly took a few promising forwards in Nikolayev, McMichael and Grewe. McMichael and Nikolayev have the potential to become top 6ers, while Grewe reminds me a bit of Gallagher, but I feel he was taken a bit too early. Sogaard was a good goalie pickup to be added behind Luukonen. While Philadelphia has some good defensive prospects, their reluctance to draft one in this draft hurts their depth at the position. A solid draft that looks like it can pan out well for Philadelphia overall.
Grade: B
Pittsburgh Penguins - Maticus​

:pens
Drafted:
15th - Arthur Kaliyev 62nd - Tobias Bjornfot 114th - Riley Damiani

Weyl: Pittsburgh took a heavy risk drafting Kaliyev at 15 however his stats and skills show that he has the potential to be a franchise talent, but everything has to go right. Bjornfot is a great player at 62nd, his offence is lacking however he should easily be an NHLer. Damiani is great value at 114th. Overall Pittsburgh made the most of only 3 picks, I don’t think they could’ve done better however I think they could’ve used some more picks to improve their prospect depth while they’re outside the playoffs

Try: I’m not a Kaliyev fan. All of the red flags pop out for me, but for a team that can still make the playoffs next year, this was a decent risk, there’s obviously potential and he’s a lot more NHL ready than many picked before him. Bjornfot is a defensive oriented team leader, two things that don’t mean anything here, however Bjornfot will make the NHL within the next three years and may be a future captain. His offensive game has a little room to grow so that would be a big pick here. Damiani is a pure offensive foward who is a steal as an overager so late in the draft.
Grade: B+

ED: After consideration of moving their pick, Pittsburgh went ahead and drafted Kaliyev, who has the skills to be a top 10 selection in a future redraft. Bjornfot is a very safe pick in the second round, but has a lower ceiling than most. Hopefully he can grow his offensive game in the next couple years. Damiani has the potential to be a steal. Great value at all of their picks. While they currently lack high end prospects, their core is in their prime and should have a good window to compete if they play their cards right, giving Pittsburgh time to make the most of future drafts

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
HFVHL 2019 Draft Report Card Part 8

San Jose Sharks - PG Canuck
:sharks
Drafted:
8th - Dylan Cozens 21st - Victor Soderstrom 27th - Thomas Harley
39th - Nolan Foote 43rd - Jamieson Rees 46th - Robert Mastrosimone
52nd - Dillon Hamaliuk 70th - Henry Thrun 72nd - Mattias Norlinder
87th - Luke Toporowski 89th - Martin Hugo Has 101st - Ronnie Attard
111st - Henry Rybinski 120th - Simon Lundmark 132nd - Albin Sundsvik

Weyl: San Jose had my least favourite draft this year, mainly due to somehow sharing my same draft list. Cozens at 8 is amazing value and Soderstrom falling to 21 was expected but good value. Harley at 27 is silly, he fell way too much and could be one of the best dmen drafted this year. Foote I think went really early, while his wrist was fractured, he has many flaws compared to the players who went after him. Rees, Mastrosimone and Hamaliuk were great picks, and all are guys that have top 6 potential. Thrun and Norlinder on the back end is some solid depth. San Jose’s biggest gaff this year was the missing of 4 picks losing out on some quality 3rd round guys. Lundmark was great value at 120 though and Sundsvik was a good gamble late. Overall San Jose restocked their cupboard having one of the most picks in the draft. If they used their 3rds when they were up I think they could’ve gotten an A+ but because of that lost value it their grade drops a bit
Grade: A-

Try: Without being too high on some players here (Cozens, Mastrosimone Norlinder, Hugo Has), all of the four were good value picks, although I think Mastrosimone was picked a bit too soon. Everyone else was a good pick on a player that could really make their draft position look silly five years from now. Soderstrom won’t become an offensive juggernaut, but at 21, he may be in the NHL before any other defender in the class. Harley has some of the highest offensive potential in a defenseman in the draft so 27 is a steal. Foote could develop into a goal scoring beast if he stays injury free, same goes for Rees and Hamaliuk injury wise with their skill and promise shown in limited time, a constant theme in San Jose’s picks. Attard and Lundmark really have some good offensive potential and could be great picks this late. Thrun is a two way defender who could develop well as an early third round pick and command good value. For the rest of the picks, Toporowski and Ryblinski have some underrated potential coming out of the WHL and could grow into NHL contributors. Sundsvik went undrafted in real life, but has shown some good offensive tools and may grow into an overage selection later.
Grade: A

ED: Simply a great draft for a team in a drastic need for a direction, SJ comes up with a good number of steals. Cozens, Soderstrom and Harley all have great talent and are all really great value for where they were drafted. Foote, Rees and Mastrosimone are all very solid prospects with top 6 potential. Hugo Has has a skill set that could make teams regret passing on him. I think my favorite pick by SJ is Rybinski, who is a very intriguing prospect. He had a great time with Seattle, but concerns about his trade request out of Medicine Hat could indicate character issues. I have no qualms with SJ’s draft, as they obtained high end prospects that could be the start of a new era. With a large number of picks in next years draft, things are looking good in California

St. Louis Blues - Wush

:blues
Drafted:
103rd - Jacob Peterson 140th - Erik Portillo 149th - Tomas Vomacka

Weyl: It’s clear St. Louis is hungry for a cup, with very little draft capital it was all used to maintain a position as one of the deadly Western teams. This year they went Euro with their remaining picks. Peterson an overager, hasn’t quite gotten his offence fully together but more practice in the SHL could do wonders for him. Portillo and Vomacka were both goalies that flew under the radar and had successful years. I would not be surprised to see both goalies doing well in the NCAA. Overall St. Louis went in to get value in the later rounds and did just that. While their timelines are all years away they have a fairly young core so drafting is not an urgent matter for them.

Try: With the limited picks, St. Louis took some flyers on some of the more less known Europeans in the draft, including two goaltenders that really are good gambles, specifically Portillo who I’m high on. Vomacka is an overager who has shown some good promise. Peterson is a defensive oriented center who has some offensive that’s untapped, hopefully he can develop some more offense as a double overager heading to the SHL next year,

ED: St. Louis has the pieces needed to compete, and a good pool of prospects with names like Tolvanen, Wilde and Chmelevski. All of this means they weren’t hurting for a great draft, but with no picks until 103rd, it’s a bit sad to see. I like Portillo as a goaltending prospect and think he has a shot, but goalies can be so sporadic. Next years development will be telling for their prospects. Looking at the draft alone can feel like St. Louis might be in trouble, but looking at their team and prospect pool, their team is in very good shape going forward.Unfortunately, that doesn’t help the draft grade.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Donut

:bolts
Drafted:
91st - Kaedan Korczak 128th - Alexander Campbell 129th - Graeme Clarke
141st - Jimmy Huntington

Weyl: No one really knows what Tampa Bay is doing, however they keep getting great value on deals and so this is passable. This draft they added a massive faller in Korczak as well as Campbell. Korczak falling that much is silly and great value on Tampa’s part to trade up and snag him. Campbell people will spend most of the offseason questioning how much of his scoring was due to Newhook. It’ll be up to Campbell next year to prove his production was his own. Clarke while quickly traded was great value where he was taken however his Hockey IQ concerns could make or break this prospects chances at the pros. Huntington is a solid late round gamble, he could turn into Tampa Bay’s next undrafted scorer. Overall I feel that Donut did a solid job with his little picks considering he is competing. It will be interesting to see what Tampa does next draft considering the draft capital they have already acquired.

Try: Donut is crazy, mostly just for trades and I’m not really sure what he’s doing, but draft wise, he took some good value picks. Korczak is a defender who could be viewed as more shut-down than point producer, but for the late 3rd round, this is a pretty good pick. Campbell has some solid offensive tools, but I’d like to see him without Alex Newhook for an extended period before I get too excited about this pick. Clarke is stuck behind a stacked 67’s team, so he could be a steal this late. Huntington will be turning 21 at the beginning of this year, and while he had somewhat of a breakout year in the QMJHL, he could’ve been signed as a free agent this offseason after passing through the draft three times, so I don’t think a pick was necessary here, but we’ll see how his first pro season goes.
Grade: C+

ED: TB has some very intriguing prospects in their pool, and adds to it with some of their selections in this years draft. Korczak was a faller, no doubt about that, but his offensive game doesn’t seem to be there. Hopefully it can develop as he takes on a bigger role next year. I like Campbell at that position and think he could be a player GM’s will regret passing on. I think Tampa could have used another top end prospect to add to the system, so no 1sts or 2nds hurts, but considering they’re a competitive team, they have some time before it can start to hurt.

Last edited:

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
HFVHL 2019 Draft Report Card Part 9

Toronto Blue Jays - Lax

:leafs
Drafted:
4th - Bowen Byram 7th - Cole Caufield 9th - Peyton Krebs
40th - Alexander Romanov 53rd - Maxim Cajkovic 64th - Jordan Spence
92nd - Yegor Zamula 94th - Ethan Philips 95th - Justin Bergeron
126th - Lucas Feuk

Weyl: Toronto was a pretty bad team, with a lack of prospect depth and quality for being one of the worst teams in the league they needed a home run, and they did just that. Toronto got the best dman in the draft as well as the best scorer in Caufield. With Boldy and Newhook on the board however, I think Krebs was a mistake. Romanov was a sneaky pick, being one of Montreal’s top prospects now, he was a steal at 40. Cajkovic could be a stud if he pulls it together. The rest of Toronto’s picks are all good value at where they were picked some even picked lower than expected which is ideal. Overall Toronto shouldn’t have been able to improve their team this quickly but it just happened. Definitely in my top 3 drafts this year

Try: What a collection of lottery picks Toronto had. Byram and Caufield are two great fantasy picks. Both players could produce big time in the NHL. Krebs is not one of my favourite lottery players in the draft, I feel like he’ll be a decent middle six center, and the achilles injury raises eyebrows for me. Romanov will have a big year in the KHL this year as he tries to build on a fantastic d+1 year, his value is good here at 40. Cajkovic is a shot in the draft. He has the skills but he’ll need to clean up his defensive game to earn a shot in the NHL. Spence is a great pick in my opinion; despite the size, a good offensive shot. Zamula has shown some offensive flare this year, a good overager selection. Ethan Phillips is not a player I’m very high on here. Bergeron went undrafted, but I’m a big fan. His offensive game will keep him in the draft discussions all next year. Feuk produced big time this year; a good late snag.
Grade: A-

ED: The team most in need of top end prospects, Toronto comes out with 3 top 10 selections, and makes no mistake on any of them, taking Byram, Caufield and Krebs, all with cornerstone player potential. Romanov is a great snag in the second round considering some GM’s didn’t realize he was still eligible, and Cajkovic has great potential to turn into a legitimate top 6 option.My biggest issue with the draft was no goaltenders selected, which I think is a big oversight, considering the sheer amount of selections they had, and their lack of depth at the position in terms of prospects. A goaltender or two would have been the cherry on top of a very impressive draft.

Vancouver Canucks

:nucks
Drafted:
154th - Matias Mantykivi

Weyl: While the 5th round is the best time to take a risk, Mantykivi is an interesting prospect. I’m curious to see where he goes on the 22nd as there is a chance he goes undrafted. Vancouver is a team I feel needs to get younger as their core is aging quite a bit. I was hoping to see a bit of that this year but we’ll see how they handle it going into 2020.

Try: Nucks stayed all in this year and it didn’t work out. They are starting to tear down this year so having no high picks really hurts. Mantykivi is a decent pick this late, but still hard to overlook the lack of youngsters coming in via draft.

ED: With their only selection, the original cup winning Canucks select someone who I believe was a reach, even with a late 5th round selection. Mantykivi did get time in the top finish league Liiga, which could be good for his development moving forward, so hopefully this pick pans out for them. While Vancouver’s forward core is still in their prime, they will eventually need to start replacing some aging members with forwards from their internal pool. They have a deep pool to select from, with some intriguing names especially in net and on the back end, but their forward prospects seem to be lacking high end talent. They have time until that will start to affect them, but with no picks in the first 3 rounds next year, their prospect pool won’t get better for a while.

xTH3D4RKL0RDx

Aug 10, 2014
cedric_paquette_girlfriend_marie_kamille_groleau.jpg

:devils Sign F Cedric Paquette to a $1.75m x 2 Offer Sheet.

Should BOS choose not to match, NJ will transfer their 3rd round pick in the 2020 HFVHL draft to BOS as compensation.
:bruins Will not be matching this offer sheet. Thanks for the 3rd

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
HFVHL 2019 Draft Report Card Part 10

Vegas Golden Nights - LB

:vegas
Drafted:
1st - Jack Hughes 26th - Ryan Suzuki

Weyl: Pretty hard to get this draft wrong, Hughes is the consensus 1st overall choice and Suzuki is solid value at 26 which guarantees the team at least a B. Can’t go wrong with either, however, Vegas did nothing to fix their glaring issue of lack of prospect depth and since this isn’t a basketball team of 5 players, this will hurt their team in the future (and their grade).

Try: Kakko is the best player in the draft.
Half jokes aside, Vegas took Jack who has a chance to be a franchise changing player at #1. They stay in limbo as far as progressing towards the playoffs go, but this is a good building block as long as they don’t flip him in another two years. Ryan Suzuki has some good playmaking skill and is a good value selection down at 26. As mentioned by Weyl, the prospect depth really needs some filling out.
Try: B-

ED: Vegas can always use more prospects, but with only 2 selections,they needed to make them count. Vegas didn’t disappoint, selecting the dynamic Jack Hughes at 1st Overall, and selecting a good value pick with Suzuki at 26. These two very quality prospects can be added to their pool that already includes Merkley, Smith, Jokiharju, Liljegren and Denisenko. However, past those names and a handful of others, Vegas’ has very shallow depth to their pool. The high end guys are there, and should contribute well together, but considering Vegas’ lack of depth on their main roster as well, they’re in need of many more prospects. Fill the cupboard with some lesser guys who could pan out well, they’ve already gotten their top end guys. Get that supporting cast and maybe the team can be competitive in their prime.

Washington Capitals - ED

:caps
Drafted:
22nd - Pavel Dorofeyev 54th - Pyotr Kochetkov 67th - Jackson LaCombe

Weyl: Same issue with Vegas, the newly rebuilding Capitals needs to increase their prospect depth and should’ve acquired more picks. The picks they did make were great though, Dorofeyev has great skill and fits well with Washington’s timeline. Kochetkov if he comes over could be a starter, remains to be seen how he fairs in the KHL first. LaCombe is a solid pick at 67 with a lot of offensive talent. Overall this draft was a step in the right direction however they are currently baby steps when they should be baby leaps.

Try: Washington tried their best to grab some prospects through the draft after trading a few big dogs, but they didn’t get too many in this draft, However they did re-acquire their selection for next year so they can tank and sell off freely this year. Next year’s draft will be a big one which they’ll need to nail. Dorofeyev slipped big time in the real draft, but I’m not worried, a player I’m very high on, look for him to pop off in the KHL next year. Speaking of popping off, Kochetkov has had a fantastic year and may make the NHL as soon as 2020/2021 year (barring contract in Russia). LaCombe is a defenseman who transitioned from a forward that is a great fantasy pick, picked right around the right area.

Winnipeg Jets - Nail
:jets
Drafted:
No draft picks this year

Weyl: I think it’s safe to say having no draft picks is ok for Winnipeg as they just won the cup. The two 5ths they did have were used to dump cap, taking advantage of the hungry GM’s wanting to draft. Having no picks this year is not a pressing issue as they still have prospects in the cupboard so this draft is a write off for them.

Try: Congrats on the cup StrictlyCommercial! No picks for the Jets, but mission accomplished
Grade: (S)C

ED: The Cup winning Jets come into the draft with no picks, and I’m sure they’re fine with that. I’m not a huge fan of their current prospect pool besides a few names like Gustavsson and Veleno, and no picks hurts this prospect group moving forward. I think Winnipeg needs to address top end defensive prospects, as their core is moving to the wrong side of 30 on their back end and I don’t see any sure things in their pool. They still have time to fix this though, and can address it when the celebrations have ended

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
SIGNINGS:

:bolts Sign

D Brogan Rafferty $700k x 2 ELC

F Jacob Lilja $700k x 2 ELC

:coyotes Sign

G Ryan Miller $1m x 1

F Thomas Nosek $1.25m x 2

:edmonton Sign

D Jay Bouwmeester $800k x 1 with a 10 team MNTC trade list

D Phil Kemp $753.333k x 3 ELC

:habs Sign

G Matt Villalta $800k x 3 ELC

D Hunter Drew $800k x 3 ELC

F Rafaël Harvey-Pinard $800k x 3 ELC

F Greg Meireles $925k x 3 ELC

:pens Sign

D Patrick Nemeth $1.5 m x 1

D Roman Polack $1 m x 1

:bruins Re-sign

G Adin Hill $1m x 2

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Correction to one of the above signings:

AZ’s $1.25 x 2 contract to Thomas Nosek is an offer sheet.

Should STL choose not to match, AZ will give up their 3rd round pick as compensation.
Since I don't actually own the required picks to make this offer sheet (2020 ARI 3rd), this offer sheet is invalid and cannot go through. Apologies for the confusion and general stupidity.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
WUSH GETS NO SEKX
:coyotes / :blues
To ARI:
Tomas Nosek (RFA rights)
To STL: Conditional 2020 ARI 5th (if Nosek scores more than 18 points, pick becomes 2020 ARI 4th)
*18 points in 2019/20

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3