Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Screenshot_20190212-201753_Chrome.jpg

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I have another (probably) contentious topic for us to discuss, but it's something that definitely needs to be ironed out before the trade deadline. A couple of months ago, HankNDank messaged me asking about how goalies are going to be handled come playoff time. When we were changing the goalie rules, I'd only really given it thought in the context of the regular season, not realizing that teams having two starters could be a huge advantage in the playoffs.

Personally, I think the fairest thing is to restrict teams to a maximum of 40 goalie points from wins per round (4 wins). There's still some value in having an extra starting goaltender like this, but at least there won't be a situation where a team gets 80 points from their goaltenders on wins alone.
I'm going to go ahead and consider this the rule for this season/playoffs. I know that this is a bit of a blow to GMs like donut and any others that acquired two starters under the assumption that it would be a big advantage come playoff time, but I still believe that those teams hold a substantial edge over other teams under this rule. Aside from one or two of you, it seems most of the people who reached out on here and Discord felt that this was a fair compromise, so I'm comfortable going ahead with it for the time being. If it proves to be unfair, we can certainly revisit this during the offseason and find a solution that works better.

Again, I do feel sorry for those teams that went out and acquired another starting goaltender. This was something that was entirely overlooked when the starter list was removed last offseason and seeing as that was my responsibility, I apologize for that. There's a chance that this decision won't affect much anyway (no teams end up having two playoff starters, the teams that do win decisively over the ones that don't, etc...) so hopefully that ends up being the case here.

Reactions: canucklax

Maticus

Nov 19, 2009
Jacksonville
I'm going to go ahead and consider this the rule for this season/playoffs. I know that this is a bit of a blow to GMs like donut and any others that acquired two starters under the assumption that it would be a big advantage come playoff time, but I still believe that those teams hold a substantial edge over other teams under this rule. Aside from one or two of you, it seems most of the people who reached out on here and Discord felt that this was a fair compromise, so I'm comfortable going ahead with it for the time being. If it proves to be unfair, we can certainly revisit this during the offseason and find a solution that works better.

Again, I do feel sorry for those teams that went out and acquired another starting goaltender. This was something that was entirely overlooked when the starter list was removed last offseason and seeing as that was my responsibility, I apologize for that. There's a chance that this decision won't affect much anyway (no teams end up having two playoff starters, the teams that do win decisively over the ones that don't, etc...) so hopefully that ends up being the case here.

What about Shutouts and Goalie Assists/Goals?

Would the goalie points just max out at 40 regardless?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Also, I normally put out the updated standings around this time each month but I decided it would be better to do the monthly update closer to the trade deadline. I figured it would be better this way so that teams have a better understanding of whether they should be buying or selling. If you'd prefer to know the updated standings sooner, let me know.

While I'm on the subject of standings, a lot of you have expressed the desire to get rid of divisions and/or conferences next season onward. This is due to the fact that we have a substantial imbalance between divisions and it's keeping better teams out of the playoffs over weaker ones. Making the standings more "fair" in that sense was pretty popular on Discord but I'd like to hear from those in the thread as well. We'll definitely talk about changing it during the offseason, but I'd still like to get a sense of where everyone's at now anyway.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
What about Shutouts and Goalie Assists/Goals?

Would the goalie points just max out at 40 regardless?
I was thinking just wins should be capped, but once that team reaches 4 wins, any extra goalie points wouldn't count. So theoretically, a team could finish with more than 40 goalie points in a round as long as those extras didn't come after their 4 wins. Does that make sense?

Reactions: HankNDank

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I like the division setup. It has fostered great rivalries with the other competitive teams in the division like St. Louis and uh... well, you know, St. Louis.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Also, I normally put out the updated standings around this time each month but I decided it would be better to do the monthly update closer to the trade deadline. I figured it would be better this way so that teams have a better understanding of whether they should be buying or selling. If you'd prefer to know the updated standings sooner, let me know.

While I'm on the subject of standings, a lot of you have expressed the desire to get rid of divisions and/or conferences next season onward. This is due to the fact that we have a substantial imbalance between divisions and it's keeping better teams out of the playoffs over weaker ones. Making the standings more "fair" in that sense was pretty popular on Discord but I'd like to hear from those in the thread as well. We'll definitely talk about changing it during the offseason, but I'd still like to get a sense of where everyone's at now anyway.
I still like an East/West 1-8 split as a way to organize playoffs but divisions dont make as much sense when you're not actually playing games against one another as in a sim league or IRL

donut

Sep 5, 2012
:bolts

Send down CJ Smith, LW/RW
Place Alex Edler, D on injury reserve

Recall Adam Gaudette, C and Ashton Saunter, D

(the tweet shows Edler being on IR)

Reactions: Weylspin

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Here in SJ, we haven’t been getting many offers to really move the needle on trading our players. We may just standpat and reassess the roster come the summer. We are in a weird range where we could compete or sell everything and rebuild, but that depends on the offers we receive heading up to the deadline.

With that being said, we are open to selling or buying. We aren’t going to be dealing Ellis/Murray level players for below average returns just to establish a rebuild. There are quite an influx of teams actively rebuilding so this may be an open window to compete for the next few years.

Open to offers on everything.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
STANDINGS

WEST:

Central

St. Louis - 2520
Winnipeg - 2505.5
Dallas - 2017.5

Pacific
Arizona - 2714
Los Angeles - 2477.5
Anaheim - 2271

Wild Card
Vancouver - 2078.5
Colorado - 1899
---------------------------
Edmonton - 1891.5
San Jose - 1878.5
Chicago - 1747 (+1)
Minnesota - 1701 (+2)
Vegas - 1638.5
Calgary - 1599 (-3)
Nashville - 1449

EAST:

Metropolitan
NY Islanders - 2539 (+1)
Philadelphia - 2478.5 (-1)
Carolina - 2391

Atlantic
Florida - 2649.5
Boston - 2598.5
Ottawa - 2410.5

Wild Card
Washington - 2314 (+1)
Tampa Bay - 2304.5 (-1)
---------------------------
Pittsburgh - 2186 (+1)
New Jersey - 2150 (-1)
Detroit - 1976.5
Montreal - 1918.5
Buffalo - 1846.5 (+1)
NY Rangers - 1818 (-1)
Toronto - 1356.5 (+1)
Columbus - 1348 (-1)

(I will post another update of the standings closer to the deadline.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad