Prospect Info: HFStars 2019 Prospect Rankings - General Discussion

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So six of the top seven and seven of the top nine prospects have been acquired in the last three drafts. Another from a later draft. Do we think the prospect pool is weak, or is the mantra of poor drafting starting to shift?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
So six of the top seven and seven of the top nine prospects have been acquired in the last three drafts. Another from a later draft. Do we think the prospect pool is weak, or is the mantra of poor drafting starting to shift?

I think it's become more...average? Which I'll take.

I'm still not crazy about the Dellandrea pick but he seems like a great kid so I'm not gonna get emo over it...yet. I sure wish he could play in the AHL this season though.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Could it be "recent bias?" I think we tend to value high round picks higher when first picked, and still shiny new.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Could it be "recent bias?" I think we tend to value high round picks higher when first picked, and still shiny new.

I don't think so - I'd imagine recency bias would moreso be choosing 2019 draftees over 2017 draftees. What I'm talking about is what seems to be a major shift in drafting eras, almost.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Early impressions of the one period of this Canada vs Sweden game that I've watched so far:

Eriksson - definitely has skill and skates pretty well, but he needs to learn when to and when not to try and dangle around everybody and he's gotta make the safer plays. Constantly turning the puck over cause he tries to take 2 or 3 guys on all alone. By the way, he uses his size even less than Nichushkin based on what I've seen so far. Craig Button talked about it on the broadcast and said the guy can score goals and finish plays, but he needs to be smarter with the puck and learn to use his size.

Back - I know it's only one period of one game, but he has been a really nice surprise. I've never seen or really heard much about him but he actually looks really solid.. Radek Faksa type definitely (maybe even a little more offensive potential? Idk tho). Very strong on the puck and smart with it as well. It's one period but everytime he was on the ice it felt like he was always making something happen in the offensive zone or was always noticeable in some way.

Harley - He impressed me as well..I believe he just picked up an assist on the empty net goal that Canada just scored too and it happened because of a nice play by him. Solid pick and I've seen several people saying he's been one of Canada's best players

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Yeah Eriksson has been really disappointing to me this tournament. Makes me re-think my evaluation on him.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Not going to let a short tournament change my opinion based on 2 years

Still would like to see more from him with Sweden lacking offense.

Btw it's crazy how far down Caamano has fallen. Didn't he almost make the roster to start last season?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
  1. Jason Robertson
  2. Jake Oettinger
  3. Ty Dellandrea
  4. Thomas Harley
  5. Denis Gurianov
  6. Riley Damiani
  7. Gavin Bayreuther
  8. Tye Felhaber
  9. Joel L’Esperance
  10. Albin Eriksson
  11. Joesph Cecconi
  12. Ben Gleason
  13. Joel Kiviranta
  14. Emil Djuse
  15. Riley Tufte
  16. Oscar Back
  17. Jacob Peterson
  18. Colton Point
  19. Adam Mascherin
  20. Ben Brinkman

After doing a fair amount of reading up/watching whatever's up on Youtube on these prospects (especially the Europeans), I'm updating my list:

1. Jason Robertson
  2. Ty Dellandrea
  3. Jake Oettinger
  4. Thomas Harley
  5. Riley Damiani
  6. Denis Gurianov
  7. Tye Felhaber
  8. Albin Eriksson
  9. Ben Gleason
  10. Adam Mascherin
  11. Joel L'Esperance
  12. Gavin Bayreuther
  13. Oscar Back
  14. Joel Kiviranta
  15. Jacob Peterson
  16. Colton Point
  17. Joesph Cecconi
  18. Riley Tufte
  19. Nicholas Porco
  20. Ben Brinkman
I'm probably higher on the UDFA AHLers (except for Gleason whom a lot of you seem to like) than most, probably because I've been able to actually watch them several times and I like their games, even as lower-end contributors. Their potential growth is definitely lower due to age, though. I'm not particularly high on Mascherin, that's just a gut feeling, but the stats are enough to push him up for now.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I suppose I’ll post a list here

1. Ty Dellandra
2. Jason Robertson
3. Thomas Harley
4. Jake Oettinger
5. Denis Gurianov
6. Riley Damiani
7. Albin Eriksson
8. Oscar Back
9. Ty Felhaber
10. Joel L’Esperance
11. Joeseph Cecconi
12. Riley Tufte
13. Ben Brinkman
14. Joel Kiviranta
15. Adam Mascherin
16. Colton Point
17. Ben Gleason
18. Jacob Peterson
19. Curtis Douglas
20. Nicolas Porco

1-5 Potential top six/four/starter
6-9 Potential middle six
10-14 Potential bottom six
15-20 Question marks/AHL

I know I’ll get heat for having some of these grinders ahead of Mascherin and Gleason, but they are more likely to take on depth roles where coaches value defensive play and size.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Ben Brinkman and Tufte above Kiviranta, Masch, Point, Gleason, Peterson is pretty funny.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wish we would've just taken the compensation for not signing Tufte.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Feel free to wield the banhammer.

Seriously though, Tufte seems brutal on paper but I guess we'll see how he does on what should be a talented young team in CP.

joshik

GEt FaK'sEd
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
I suppose I’ll post a list here

1. Ty Dellandra
2. Jason Robertson
3. Thomas Harley
4. Jake Oettinger
5. Denis Gurianov
6. Riley Damiani
7. Albin Eriksson
8. Oscar Back
9. Ty Felhaber
10. Joel L’Esperance
11. Joeseph Cecconi
12. Riley Tufte
13. Ben Brinkman
14. Joel Kiviranta
15. Adam Mascherin
16. Colton Point
17. Ben Gleason
18. Jacob Peterson
19. Curtis Douglas
20. Nicolas Porco

1-5 Potential top six/four/starter
6-9 Potential middle six
10-14 Potential bottom six
15-20 Question marks/AHL

I know I’ll get heat for having some of these grinders ahead of Mascherin and Gleason, but they are more likely to take on depth roles where coaches value defensive play and size.
Worst list so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad